Poison Spyder Fender Installation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Poison Spyder Fender Installation

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-19-2012, 05:38 AM   #1
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Poison Spyder Fender Installation

As many of you know, I was lucky enough to win the Poison Spyder fender contest and all the winner had to do was put a formal write-up on JF. I think I'm going to reserve the first 3 or 4 post to update and add as I go. So the fun begins.

I received my 3" Tapered DeFenders yesterday afternoon at work from FedEx. The packaging was top notch and it took about 5 minutes to actually get the fenders out of the box and foam. I got a shot of the fenders and foam that encased them both.

The fenders looked excellent. The welds were nice and smooth as well as the rest of the fenders. They are a solid 3/16" thick steel and I imagine it will take some force to deform these in any way.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I wanted to start the install as soon as possible because I know the guys at Poison Spyder wanted it done in a timely fashion. So the first thing I do is go through the instructions. I checked all my parts and hardware and found I had received everything included. The one thing I strongly recommend doing is waiting to paint these things until after you test fit them (as recommended by PS as well). After work I gathered my tools which included: Angle grinder, cutting disc, socket set, hammer, measuring tape, and my other bag of miscellaneous tools like screwdrivers, pliers, etc. Then I went back to work to use the lower parking lot as my apartment complex may have not been the best choice.

Here's my work space before starting:

One of the first things I did was take off the hood latches and loosen the bolts from the grill to fender. I also removed the brace (it's dangling in the right).

Once that was done I needed to mark a line at the "hood line" per the instructions or 1" from the inner fender and mark it all the way back to the tub. This was the only thing that I spent a lot of time thinking on because I wasn't sure really where to start. I finally took it for what it was and used the "hood line". I was planning on using a silver sharpie to make my mark but I really didn't need it. I already have a distinctive line where the hood didn't cover the fender...that's where the clear coat and paint were fading. I also had to think about where to start the cut. The instructions say to start before the first mounting point on the grill where the fender mounts. I was conservative with the cutting disc because I figure I can always take off more if needed.

And so it begins. I was a little nervous at first but once I started cutting it wasn't too bad. One thing I didn't do was take my plastic flares off. I didn't feel like there was a need since they were bent, faded, and on there way out. I should also mention, this is where I made my first mistake. I cut right through the hood latch support without even thinking even though the instructions clearly state not to do that. However, I think it will be fine with the fenders because of their stout design.

Here is what I ended up with. I also chopped through the inner fender near the tub. I should have taken some pics of this but I will for the drivers side. You can also see where I cut the front part of the fender off. I wasn't sure where to start cutting so after some test fitment and head scratching I just took the front off right behind the first mounting holes.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 06-19-2012, 05:39 AM   #3
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here is the initial test fitting. I had to trim here and there but with a little massaging it was starting to come together.

When I was test fitting the fenders I took the grill supports loose and I also loosened the grill body mount. It did help when I was trying to line up the mounts on the fender to the grill.

Well it was getting dark last night so I put the bolts in the pass. side fender but didn't drill any holes. Then I went home. I am hoping to finish up the pass. side today and knock out the drivers side. It shouldn't take as long for the driver side since I've already been through it once.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 06-19-2012, 05:39 AM   #4
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Day 2.

It went a lot faster this time around. I even put a new O2 sensor in before I left and still got a lot done. My jeep seems to have a little more pep now. Right when I parked my jeep I plugged up the angle grinder and went to work. Once again, I used the faded lines on my existing fender for reference.

Here's the part I wanted to take a picture of. It's the inside fender layer behind the sheet metal. I cut this piece out too. If you look at the bottom of the picture there is a support brace connecting the inside of the fender well. I took this off and threw it away. I would not have been able to put the mounting flanges of the new fenders in front of the fender well otherwise because I had to hammer it back.

Now it's time to test fit.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 06-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #5
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Time to get back to updating.

Once I got the drivers side fender test fitting and had both fenders bolted down, it was time to drill the 1/4" holes on the top through the strip of existing fender I left and drill a few 3/8" holes through the inner fender well. I found that using the clamps below helped to keep everything snug.

When I got down to the lower holes to drill I had to take the tires off to actually get my drill in there. I also used that same long vise clamp to hold the flanges down on the inner fender. Worked very well...that is until I drilled through the washer fluid reservoir. I should have looked before I drilled.

Of course that's nothing a little JB Weld or RTV won't fix. Most likely JB Weld though. I love my washer bottle so I got to fix it.

Anyway, it was getting dark once again so I called it a night. The next step is to remove the fenders and send them to be powder coated. Luckily I can take my jeep to work and put it behind the fence and keep it there. I don't want to have my jeep hanging out at my apartment with no fenders. They don't hassle me about working on my jeep but it at least has to appear driveable and in decent shape so I'm going to respect that.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 06-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
CRASHNDENT
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Very nice!!

I was so hoping you'd win these. Very quick work too. Looks like theyre gonna sit on there really nice.
Unread 06-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
DW8520
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looking good! Can't wait to see the finished product.
DW8520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

x3...looking good.
janders82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 05:55 AM   #9
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Almost done!

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 06-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good so far and I like your writing style and pics, good job!
Unread 06-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
1988jeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Looks great, very brave with all the cutting! I don't think I could do that...
Unread 06-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #12
Lemoore-on
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Nice work Lou!

92YJ with some stuff done to it.
Lemoore-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Waiting for the grand finale'.
sdotcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #14
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Congrats on the win, Lou! I didn't even see the original thread. If anyone was deserving of the fenders and has the capability of writing a compelling installation guide, it's you!
Unread 06-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #15
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys! I just added to my post above and I should have the finished product here in a couple weeks. I just have to take the fenders off and have them powder coated.

I forgot to mention that PS included their side inserts with the fenders. They gave me solid backing and plates and aluminum ones with the logo cut out. They are pretty sweet. I'm thinking I'll just have the aluminum with the logo on it unless someone else has an opinion.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia

Tags
defenders , fenders , install , poison , spyder

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.