pls help, engine bogging - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > pls help, engine bogging

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 02-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
90JYerv6

pls help, engine bogging

Hello and thanks for taking the time to read this.
ok so I just bought my first 90 YJ and I absolutely love it im working on getting it tuned up and is all going well. The main problem I have right now is that the engine boggs every time I dive it, it also takes a few tries to start it when I first try to start it for the day. Im guessing its a fuel problem I already disconnected the fuel line and plenty of fuel comes out I put a injector cleaner that is in right now. I was looking for the fuel filter and it does not seem to have one from what I understand its supposed to be on the rear driver side correct? Well I followed the whole fuel line and could not find one. I was wondering too if its ok to put a universal one or should I buy a stock one? The air filter is fine I just changed it. Its a 4.2 engine any ideas what I could check on next? The jeep runs like a beast other then that bogging that it does. Your help is truly appreciated. Thanks again.

20140204_130527.jpg

20140204_131438.jpg

20140204_131356.jpg

90JYerv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
WNUNEZJR
1994 YJ Wrangler 

02 senor maybe?
WNUNEZJR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #3
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

the fuel filter has its own skidplate even, look by your drivers side rear spring hanger on the frame, right in front of back tire. the ebrake cable runs right through a slot in the plate too.
this is it minus the little skid plate
Unread 02-04-2014, 09:50 PM   #4
90JYerv6

U guys know where the O2 sensor for this one is? I know in other cars is on the intake but I dont see any on there?....ill keep looking for the fuel filter tomorrow when there is light. Thanks for your help....anyone else has any ideas of what it could be?....it seems like the warmer the engine is the less it does it.....seems like.
Unread 02-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #5
dander88
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Is it doing this when the motor is cold? Warm? Both?
dander88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ok so you say you have the 4.2.. Its hard to see from the picture but is your jeep injected or carb'd

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #7
90JYerv6

It seems like it mostly does it when its cold and its fuel injected
Unread 02-04-2014, 10:23 PM   #8
WNUNEZJR
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
ok so you say you have the 4.2.. Its hard to see from the picture but is your jeep injected or carb'd
it looks carb'd and I have no clue go to napa and have them pull up a diagram.
Unread 02-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #9
90JYerv6

Its fuel injected, the fuel rail is next to the black valve cover (wich I just painted yesterday since I changed the seal)
Unread 02-04-2014, 11:18 PM   #10
DirtyYj91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Okay first I would ask what build date is your YJ ? because being a 90 that would be a Carbureted 4.2L but your pictures are obviously the same as my 91 4.0L injected engine.
I had the same issue with mine and I thought it was fuel pump but low and behold it was not.
Search ECM capacitor repair in this forum I am 99% sure that is what you need to do.
My only 1% reserve is not knowing what part of the country you are in.
It helps to fill out your profile for better response to questions.
Unread 02-04-2014, 11:29 PM   #11
90JYerv6

Sounds good dirty YJ ill look for that post....btw im in southern California. Ill fill out my profile soon. Thanks for your help and yes I dont think its the original engine since I researched and this year was only made with the carbonated engine.
Unread 02-05-2014, 07:07 AM   #12
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

With that fuel injection you are running an injection setup from a 91/95 xj/yj. First thing to check is to see if the previous owner hooked up the check engine light so you can get codes there is another way to do it if not. Follow the instuctions on this thread and post back:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...codes-1257145/
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 02:16 PM   #13
90JYerv6

I just did what is showed on the video and no lights on the dashboard came on the previous owner probably didn't connect them
Unread 02-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #14
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, you need to get a test light and enough wire to hook one side up to the positive side of the battery and the other to the ecu harness. I will walk you through how to hook it up so you see the codes just like the cel.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 07:17 PM   #15
WNUNEZJR
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Ok, you need to get a test light and enough wire to hook one side up to the positive side of the battery and the other to the ecu harness. I will walk you through how to hook it up so you see the codes just like the cel.
This ^^^ guy sounds like he knows what hes talking about. and I though all 4.2 were carb'd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.