Please verify this is correct - Alternator Wiring Set-up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Please verify this is correct - Alternator Wiring Set-up

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
medicjz
1988 FSJ Cherokee 

Please verify this is correct - Alternator Wiring Set-up

I plan on putting in a CS144 and want to run #2 wire from what other posts are indicating. My question is, when I redo the wiring I want to do the following...

1) Remove current wire from (+) on back of alternator to solenoid with all the other wires below the original battery tray ( I believe this is the starter solenoid).

2) Run #2 wire from (+) on alternator to (+) battery terminal (w/ 150amp fuse in-line)

3) Retain current wire from (+) battery terminal to solenoid located below battery tray

4) Ensure that the Red wire that goes into the two-prong connector on the alternator is also hooked to (+) terminal on alternator

5) Reconnect (-) battery terminal, start and verify voltage with meter

6) Wash hands and have a Rum & Coke

I would like to thank JeepHammer for having the below original wiring diagram for me to butcher with my not so fabulous image skills. I included it to provide a picture of my understanding of what needs to be done from the other posts I found in the search, I mainly want to make sure I am understanding those posts, because I couldn't find pictures of the wiring in any of them.

Also, I plan on putting a switch panel in as I add accessories, and saw in a post that an easy solution for tripping relays from those switches, that a wiring possibility would be cat5 cable due to the low amps used to switch relays and the ability to have the wiring neatly organized with multiple strands in the one cable. Has anyone done this and is the individual strand from each pair capable of being used for this ( I'm not sure what wire size it is or what amperage it can utilize without being an issue)

Thanks in advance for the help.

sialtwire01.gif  
medicjz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You have the wiring setup correct for the alternator. Yes, you can use gound switch for relay control. The control side relay can be wired with 20 guage. I am not sure what the guage is in the cat 5 but I just setup a Neon PDC for KIG to ground switch 8 relays and add 5 in independant fuses.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
medicjz
1988 FSJ Cherokee 

Thank you for the confirmation
medicjz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
alternator , cs144 , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.