Please judge my rust - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Please judge my rust

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
rippinlt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Please judge my rust

I know the ultimate test is getting under there with a screw driver and poking around but that isn't currently an option.

image-3583757397.jpg

image-2173615007.jpg

image-2131666299.jpg

image-3386402214.jpg

Is this rust to worry about?

rippinlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have seen worse, but the pics you provided aren't areas that rust the worst....so it could get uglier. Look around the shackle points, behind and around the exhaust, inner side of the frame. Good thing is someone has gotten the skid plate bolts loose at some point.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Kdeome
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You call that rust?!

Looks fine to me.
Kdeome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdeome View Post
You call that rust?!

Looks fine to me.
I saw a response like this one coming. You will likely get opinions from you call that rust? from the East coast to my Holy Moly Rustman! from the West.
I guess it's up to you to decide if the structural integrity of the metal is compromised and go from there. Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
I am kinda partial to white.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
That's racist, Chris.
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
rippinlt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So what methods can be taken to avoid the rust getting any worse? I know people take their tubs off, coat their entire frames with sealant and are happy forever but is there a localized method? something like sand down the bad areas and paint them with some rhinoline-like spray.
Unread 04-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Click to View Search Results for http://www.google.com/search?num=40&newwindow=1&hl=en&biw=1315&bih=603&q=site%3Ajeepforum.com%2Fforum%2Ff12+rust+paint&btnG http://www.google.com/search?num=40&newwindow=1&hl=en&biw=1315&bih=603&q=site%3Ajeepforum.com%2Fforum%2Ff12+rust+paint&btnG
=
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
rambo3489
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would say mine was as bad if not worse. Check the drivers side frame up front too where the steering box bolts up to. Mine was rotted bad there. Another common place is under the rear shock towers. But the tub looks fine which mine was not I had a big hole on the drivers side. I would say your alright. But will tell you working on things is a real PITA.

If you don't see any real problem areas I would clean it up and get some rust stopping primer on it. You don't have to take the tub off. It's better. I did it. But that's the route I wanted to go. Spot checking it all and getting some rust inhibitive primer or POR-15 on it should do the trick.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 06:29 AM   #8
Kdeome
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I would take the tub off, sand/wire brush the surface rust, treat and rinoline the frame.
Kdeome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:16 AM   #9
responder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshw301 View Post
I have seen worse, but the pics you provided aren't areas that rust the worst....so it could get uglier. Look around the shackle points, behind and around the exhaust, inner side of the frame. Good thing is someone has gotten the skid plate bolts loose at some point.
X2.

From what I see in most of the pictures, that is mostly surface rust. It depends how far you want to go with the build will determine how much work you are going to do.

For that type of rust a descaler works great! Good luck.
responder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
Jeepsr4me

From what I see, you have rust in spots that I normally dont have issues with. SO you will more than likely have it in the bad spots REAL BAD. Shock shaft are gone, brake lines gone, i see the frame having some bad times...
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I too find the rust on the shock shafts to be interesting. Has this vehicle sat for a long time? If it was mine, I'd replace the shocks rather quickly. As for the frame, you're not keying in on the traditionally nasty areas: Just in front of the rear tires where the frame bends to go to the front. Front/rear shackle mount points. Those are the areas I'd look to see if they're trashed. If so, there are kits available. If they're fine, grind, prime, paint with POR-15.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
Luuca
Professional Novice

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
I only get 100 characters including BBcode for my Sig line now so I thought I'd be witty and write until I run out of characters but for some reason I'm not running out of space as if some magic or witchcraft is afoot. I wonder what it could be. Perhaps the planets aligned and I'm the exception to the rule or some benevolent soul in a position of authority has looked down upon me and my predicament and has opted to rectify it in his intoxicated state and make people read this whole thing for no reason at all. Other than his amusement of course.
Luuca is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #13
rippinlt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

unfortunately this is no longer my rust. I was headed up tomorrow to purchase the jeep but it sold today before i could get there. I keep losing the ones I plan on buying. one of these days... well thanks for the rust lesson anyhow!
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #14
Luuca
Professional Novice

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippinlt View Post
unfortunately this is no longer my rust. I was headed up tomorrow to purchase the jeep but it sold today before i could get there. I keep losing the ones I plan on buying. one of these days... well thanks for the rust lesson anyhow!
Jeeps choose their owners. Yours is out there. Be patient and prepared.
I only get 100 characters including BBcode for my Sig line now so I thought I'd be witty and write until I run out of characters but for some reason I'm not running out of space as if some magic or witchcraft is afoot. I wonder what it could be. Perhaps the planets aligned and I'm the exception to the rule or some benevolent soul in a position of authority has looked down upon me and my predicament and has opted to rectify it in his intoxicated state and make people read this whole thing for no reason at all. Other than his amusement of course.
Luuca is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #15
Xenephobe375
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Besides the fact that it's sold, that's not bad at all for rust. That could easily be sanded down/taken off and repainted.
Xenephobe375 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.