Please identify this part! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Please identify this part!

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 06-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #16
Desert_Rampage
1991 XJ Cherokee 

No problem. Good luck. -Ian-

Unread 06-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #17
exige05
1988 YJ Wrangler 

No that is the actual piece that engages ur high beams, same exact situation happened to me and it took three hands just to get that little piece in then snap the plastic cover on the steering column. It rests against a metal rod that looks like an L. Look on the inside on the plastic cover and u should see a mark from where it use to slide. That's what helped me figure out proper placement
exige05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #18
GunHo198
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yep. Check YouTube on rebuilding a steering column and how to take it apart. You will probably have to take your lock cylinder out and remove the outter collar to put it back in. I think I might have a spare that I can take better pics of.

Here's pice 1. This is off of a tilt column.

The plastic piece goes inside the rear part just behind the turn signal lever. The most forward section will have to slide forward so you can remove the rear plastic section. There are 3 torx screws holding the fist section on. Again youll have to remove your lock cylinder, and your tilt wheel lever if you have one. The turn signal lever is fine to leave on.

Pic 2 shows sliding the rear cover off.

Pic 3 shows where the piece is supposed to sit. You should put a little grease on it so it stays put when you slide it all back together.

While getting all this apart isn't really that hard. It's best to watch the YouTube videos so that you know how to take the steering wheel apart. You will need some special tools as the main retaining plate is under spring pressure. You can get one at most autoparts stores. Most Chevy columns of the same year have the same parts as our Jeeps. I believe they were standard Saginaw parts.

As for removal of your lock cylinder it depends on your year. Early models were held in by a small torx screw. 94's like mine have a detent pin.
Unread 06-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #19
GunHo198
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Also there is a small electric clip that goes in by the cylinder. If you break it when you remove it, it's no big deal. It's for that annoying key buzzer. I've broken everyone I've done. LOL A Chiltons or Haynes book might have some info to help you along as well. You don't need to pull the whole column. You can do it in your Jeep. Just take your time and don't lose any screws.
Unread 06-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #20
punchesdfw
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mine looks a bit different than yours. But, that's obviously where it goes.

Thanks for your help!
dsc00520.jpg  
punchesdfw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #21
Lushaholic
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchesdfw View Post
I looked, but don't see where it may have come form. I'll look further tomorrow when I have better light. Thanks!
This picture has the part you are looking for. It looks different because it is properly seated. I came across this part several months ago when trying to fix my horn. I put it in the wrong way (thats what she said) and had to take it out and put it in correctly.
column-19r.jpg  
Lushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #22
punchesdfw
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here was the culprit. $37!
part.jpg  
punchesdfw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #23
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Rampage View Post
That's what she said! (I had to!)
Oh lord, if SHE'S in deeper than that, we got ourselves a problem...
Nafpu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #24
GunHo198
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thats that dohicky that connects your turn signal lever to the multifunction switch. It's held on by 1 screw..
Unread 06-19-2012, 10:06 PM   #25
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Don't feel too bad, these do break. Here's another current thread with the same broken part. Not sure yet of the resolution to his broken part, but you did confirm it is available at the dealership.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/l...-part-1380585/

Forgot the link earlier, sorry. There may be useful information in here for you.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.

Last edited by Opihi59; 06-20-2012 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: Duh, forgot to post the link.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #26
GunHo198
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You can get them at the junkyard out of Cherokees and most chevy's off the 90's vehicles. Most of those columns use the same parts. Same with the multifunction switch as those are really pricey!

Tags
steering column , turn signal , windshield wiper switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.