Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

please help- REAR PINION YOKE INSTALL

6K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  rollinashortysahara 
#1 ·
ok, here's the deal- i recently tore out my driveshaft while wheeling and in the process the dshaft tore apart my rear pinion yoke. i need to replace it but i have no idea how much torque i need, how to get that torque without having to use an air wrench, and how to set the preload. any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

#2 ·
The Haynes manual has the torque specs (which I do not have access to right now) .. but, when I replaced my yoke, I just grabbed the good ol' 1/2" drive, put the huge socket onto it and drove it in till I couldn't twist the wrench anymore.

I guess I should have used my torque wrench .. but didn't feel like draggin' it out that day ;)

#3 ·
I'm basing the following on the assumption that you have the stock Dana 35 rear axle. If I'm not mistaken, the Dana 35 axle uses a crush sleeve. You're right about having to reset the preload. The correct way to do this requires you to remove the axles and carrier. You don't just torque the pinion nut to some given torque value. Instead you have to tighten the pinion nut until it takes around 15 inch/pounds to turn the pinion shaft. You'll have to first replace the crush sleeve and you should replace the pinion nut with a new one.
If you want to try this yourself send me an e-mail and I'll give you a more step by step description. If I'm wrong about the Dana 35 using a crush sleeve would somebody straighten me out.

#4 ·
I had trouble getting mine off. I used a breaker bar on the nut and chained the bar to the spring with a lock. A swift drive forward released it. Thought that might help ya' when the time comes.

#5 ·
eeek
don't tighten it too far at all nothing wants to pull it out and there is a crush sleave in there that puts the proper amount of pressure on the pinion if you over tighen it you'll burn up the pinion bearing so tighten it so its tight but there is no "right torque" after that sleave is crushed by the original yoke make it not come off but no extremely tight ok ? i had my local 4x4 shop guide me on it .

#6 ·
The correct way to do this requires you to remove the axles and carrier

hold on now, ive talked to a lot of peeple about this and no one said i had to remove the axles and carriers. geese, also- what about this crush sleeve, where would i get one from and how much do they cost? thx all

#7 ·
You YJ guys have geese in your difs.? Now I know why I bought a CJ.:D

#8 ·
I replace the pinion and carrier bearings in a friend's 94 YJ, last year. I know I should've, but didn't replace the crush sleeve, or reset the preload. I just tightened the pinion nut with a 1/2" drive ratchet. If worked fine, with no noises. And if you're only changing the yoke, you shouldn't have to remove the axles or carrier. You should be able to just take off the nut and then the yoke.

#9 · (Edited)
OK, heres what the happens with a crush sleeve type pinion shaft. You have a tapered bearing at the front of pinion shaft and a tapered bearing at the rear of the pinion shaft with a sleeve between them that will crush. When you tighten the pinion nut you push the bearings together and crush the sleeve until the distance between the bearings is close enough to cause the pinion shaft to drag slightly. If you don't crush the sleeve far enough the pinion bearings will have slop in them. If you overcrush the sleeve you will burn up the bearings. It's sort of like the way you tighten up the bearings in your front wheels. The axle nut has to be tight enough to keep the bearings from being sloppy without being so tight that you burn up your wheel bearings.
I'm sort of crummy at explaining things like this but I suggest that you go to a differential shop and see if they don't tell you the same thing.
EDIT: The reason to pull the carrier is so that you can measure the torque that it takes to rotate the pinion shaft. If you are turning the carrier too you won't get an accurate measurement.

#11 ·
Like one of the above quotes, I have a hard time explaining things in words sometimes also. But, after reading the above, let me tell you that you will not need to remove your axles or carrier just to replace a crush sleeve. You may not even need to replace your crush sleeve if you can attain the proper preload. It's hard to explain so go buy yourself a Haynes manual, it has a pretty reasonable explanation. But to truely do it right you need a torque wrench.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.