Please help pilot bearing issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Please help pilot bearing issues

Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 02-13-2014, 10:29 PM   #1
djordan6319
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Please help pilot bearing issues

Ok so I am replacing my 91 wrangler 4.0 5spd with a cherokee 4.0 auto....same year the issue i have is what pilot bearing do i need to use....the one i have is to small and when i put the bearing in the sleeve it is to big is there any special pilot bearing that i need any info at all will help please if you have part numbers anything for a pilot bearing that will fit a cherokee 4.0 please leave info the part number i have is 14657 DORMAN

I have been two days at this swap and i need my jeep as it is my daily driver

Thanks

djordan6319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 03:30 AM   #2
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Get in touch ith Advance Adapters. They will know/have parts.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 07:08 AM   #3
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I do not think you use a pilot bearing with a auto transmission.
You also have to remove that sleeve for the torque converter to fit.
Unread 02-14-2014, 07:54 AM   #4
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

AT's don't use a pilot bearing or flywheel. You bolt the flex plate to the crankshaft. I don't know if they drilled the crankshafts for a pilot bearing if it was destined for an AT vehicle. Are you trying to put a pilot bearing into the center drill relief?
Unread 02-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #5
brianandcara
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just did the opposite of this, auto to stick. The cranks are the same regardless of trans. Flex plate and no pilot bearing is what i found when i separated engine and trans. You'll need shorter bolts since the flex plate is a piece of paper compared to the flywheel.
brianandcara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #6
djordan6319
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Im sorry for the confusion I have a 91 wrangler 4.0 with a 5 spd....I am putting a cherokee motor in the wrangler not the transmission
Unread 02-15-2014, 05:36 AM   #7
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Can you take a pic of the crankshaft where the pilot bearing goes in? I just put a new one in. My clutch kit came with two pilot bearings of different sizes.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 06:54 AM   #8
brianandcara
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thats what I did, swapped a renix 4.0 out of an 89 cherokee that had an auto behind it into my 87 that had a 4.2 with 5 speed. I ordered a new flywheel and clutch kit from autozone both for an 89 cherokee with 5 speed. Clutch kit came with two different size pilot bearings. I had to polish up the crankshaft with emry cloth to get the bearing to fit due to the years of it being bolted to the automatic. Part number I have for the clutch kit that came with new slave is Duralast NU1916 when you run that number thru autozones website it pulls up as a fit for both wranglers and cherokees, can't find a part number for just the pilot, it's 6am here in Cali so can't call the store for a couple hours but they might be able to get a parts break down for the kit with numbers. Hope that helps.
brianandcara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 08:20 AM   #9
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think 91 was the change over year for the different size bushings/bearings. Novak, or advance adapters will have the appropriate one. How does the new bearing compare to your old one?

Eph 6:13 -Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

[QUOTE=Opihi59;14523519]Welcome to the forum.
If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge. [/QUOTE]
jeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 08:29 AM   #10
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Also reference the clutch kits coming with 2 different bearings, i don't think will help if you are in fact trying to match a pre-change motor to a post change trans ( or vice versa). You will have to have the "adapter bearing". There has been some talk of using a pilot bushing from certain years of a cj that would work but I can't confirm that. Here's a link that talks about it.......http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/ax-1...erences-78221/

Eph 6:13 -Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge. [/QUOTE]

Last edited by jeep108; 02-15-2014 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: More info
Unread 02-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #11
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would skip the pilot bearing and get a pilot bushing instead. The grease in the pilot bearings can dry out over time, and if you aren't perfectly straight when installing the transmission you can damage the bearing. A bushing on the other hand is soaked in motor oil over night prior to installation so the material itself is infused with oil for a much longer service life, and is harder to damage on installation of the transmission.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #12
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
A bushing on the other hand is soaked in motor oil over night prior to installation so the material itself is infused with oil for a much longer service life, and is harder to damage on installation of the transmission.
Would have been a handy piece of info to have when I installed my bushing, i just slathered mine with grease . Oh well i've come to enjoy when things fail on my jeep due to my own ignorance. (I'm sure something else will break before the bushing fails anyway)

Unread 02-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #13
djordan6319
1991 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for all the info but here is what i had to do My block (on the wrangler) casting number comes back to a 1990 or older block which has the 4.0 head intake ect
The cherokee block is for a 1992 4.0 I had to make my pilot bearing fit into the sleeve for the 92 cherokee crank they were totally different

this is the pilot bearing that was in my 91 wrangler

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2325&ppt=C0015

this is the pilot bearing that was for the new motor

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2325&ppt=C0015

what i had to do was a slow process I had to grind down the pilot bearing sleeve that was for the 91 so it would fit in place of the pilot bearing for the 92 then i was able to put my old pilot bearing into the new sleeve and now i am trying to get the motor and tranny lined up which isnt easy by my self because of the way you have to lift the motor...when the chain is hooked up to the hoist it makes the motor twist and is becoming a pain in the rear hopefully my buddy makes it over today so i can get this finished

OH YeAh did i forget to mention that the cross member bolts will not come out for the tranny yeah this 2 day job has now been a weeks worth of work

wish me luck
Unread 02-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #14
brianandcara
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It is super easy pull the grill and radiator so you have more of a straight shot.
Unread 02-23-2014, 07:58 AM   #15
djordan6319
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Finally after a week of off and on working on the Jeep the motor is in and runs great Thanks for all the info and help I tried to take pics of the install and all the little things i had to do to get this motor to work but i cant up load them on the forum but if anyone has any questions i will try to do my best to answer them

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.