PLEASE HELP!!! NP231 transfer case install - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > PLEASE HELP!!! NP231 transfer case install

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 09-24-2013, 04:29 AM   #16
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here's what went into my case. Factory on left and new on right. I think the part number on he bag got ripped though

schaef89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 05:01 AM   #17
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstillatwork View Post
Studs often have two different threads on the ends, one thread for going into aluminum, a different thread pitch for the nut.
So you really need to know the thread pitch of the end that s in the case already.
This ^^^^ a regular bolt won't work, I guess I should say it's not a regular bolt, it might work if you buy the proper thread for the t case side and have enough room to feed it thru the trans and into the case. IIRC there were a few of the nuts that were tight to get to, so i'm not sure feeding a bolt thru would be any fun. I sent you a pm.

Eph 6:13 -Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

[QUOTE=Opihi59;14523519]Welcome to the forum.
If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge. [/QUOTE]

Last edited by jeep108; 09-24-2013 at 05:14 AM.. Reason: Trying not to be negative ;)
jeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #18
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep108 View Post
This ^^^^ a regular bolt won't work, I guess I should say it's not a regular bolt, it might work if you buy the proper thread for the t case side and have enough room to feed it thru the trans and into the case. IIRC there were a few of the nuts that were tight to get to, so i'm not sure feeding a bolt thru would be any fun. I sent you a pm.
+1

On my 1995 YJ, they are 3/8-16 on the end that goes into the transfer case and 3/8-24 on the nut end. Use loctite when reassembling these.

I doubt you will be able to find these at your hardware store. Try a Jeep Parts dealer or online.

Here's a picture showing the double nut technique that you will need for the studs.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/tr.../photo-15.html

From my tcase:
photo-small-.jpg

Unread 09-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #19
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

This is what I used...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #20
Jeepsterchick15
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here's one for you guys... My new t case has one of the older speedometer adapter hear things, and my jeep is wired for the electronic... Can I just swap the old manual one out for the electronic one??? Sure hope so cause I have the new one bought and the old one soaking in penetrating oil to get it out!
Jeepsterchick15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #21
Jeepsterchick15
1995 YJ Wrangler 

*gear things
Unread 10-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #22
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsterchick15 View Post
Here's one for you guys... My new t case has one of the older speedometer adapter hear things, and my jeep is wired for the electronic... Can I just swap the old manual one out for the electronic one??? Sure hope so cause I have the new one bought and the old one soaking in penetrating oil to get it out!
You would need to swap in your electronic speedo gear and sender from your old tcase. You need the sender housing that the plug goes into, as well as the speedo gear. You will also need to make sure you "clock" the speedo gear correctly depending on how many teeth it has.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/cl...sensor-428357/

The above link is for a TJ, but the principal is the same. Find the range on the sender housing that correlates with how many teeth the speedo you are using has... Make sure that range is pointing down, or 6'oclock upon installing, otherwise your spedometer will not work.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #23
Jeepsterchick15
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Great read. Thanks... Only prob is my old ones shaft is quite a bit longer than the one that came with the new one! The new gear is black, old is red. Not sure what to do here now???
Unread 10-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #24
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Great read. Thanks... Only prob is my old ones shaft is quite a bit longer than the one that came with the new one! The new gear is black, old is red. Not sure what to do here now???
The length of the gear isn't specific to the transfercase, it is specific to the type of speed sensor "housign" you have... My stock YJ speedo housing was about 1.5 to 2" longer than the one that was normally used on later model electronic speedo YJ's... I had to pick up a new speedo gear "housing" from a local jeep shop used. The original housing used a very long speedo gear, the new one used a much shorter speedo gear. The color only designates how many teeth it has, but you can manually count them.

Why cant you use the speedo "housing" and gear that you were using before? The differences in speedo length are an issue with respect to the part the plug goes into more than the transfercase...
Unread 10-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #25
Jeepsterchick15
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Trust me, still an amateur and def appreciate your help! Trying to explain as best I can... See if the pic makes sense... Red one came with the tcase, black is the new electronic housing... Can't upload pic from my phone... Can you give me your email address? Please
Unread 10-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #26
Jeepsterchick15
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My email is loramae15@aol.com I am trying to put the pic online but can't from my phone for some reason... If you will email me I should be able to reply with an attachment
Unread 10-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #27
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My email is loramae15@aol.com I am trying to put the pic online but can't from my phone for some reason... If you will email me I should be able to reply with an attachment
I'm at work at the moment, I apologise. Here is a writeup on how to post pictures. This option is free:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/h...pforum-658070/

Otherwise I'll try to email you when I get home.

I'm not sure I am understanding your issue though. There are 3 parts associated w/the sending of speed to your spedometer.

1. The housing that the gauge plugs into,
2. The speedo gear...
3. The wire/plug or cable/wire/plug depending on whether you have electric/mechanical hybrid, or all electrical.

Does your jeep use the cable/electronic hybrid? Or all electrical?

If all electrical, then you have to use the "housing" from an all electric setup, the speedo between the two types of housings will interchange if the housings both require speedos of the same length. Why can't you just use the one that was on your busted transfercase?

As for the difference in lengths, some part #1's and Part #2's listed above were longer than others. The issue is with part #1 as to which gear is correct. If the part #1 you are wanting to use houses the longer speedo, you need the longer speedo, likewise, if you have the shorter housing, you need to use the shorter speedo....

All of the housings described above, will fit an NP231 case... So in essense, you should just be able to swap over the speedo housing, and gear, from your original transfercase, onto the new case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.