Please help me rebuilt an AX5 transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Please help me rebuilt an AX5 transmission

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-23-2004, 02:48 PM   #1
wittymonkey

Please help me rebuilt an AX5 transmission

Hi,

I live near Boston, on Somerville and I can't put my jeep (4in 1995) in the 5th gear anymore. The shop told me it would be 2000 $ to fix it ! I can't believe it.

I looked around on the net, and I have some experience with working on cars, so I think I can try to fix it myself but I think I need some help as I never fixed a tranmission before.

I think that the bad parts are the synchronizers , so I plan to buy a synchronizer kit (Syncro Kit for 99$ from Drivetrain.com), also a Gasket Kit. Apparently I might not need a press but I might still buy one from lappens , as they will give me my money back when I bring it back.

The quesiton is : I CAN USE ANY HELP I CAN GET for this. BAsically I don't have a place where I can work on my car. Is there anybody here that can help me with this ? I can borrow tools from friends, I already have some tools.

Please don't hesite with any advice,

George

popescu@mit.edu

wittymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2004, 02:51 PM   #2
superjoe

if you were in San Antonio, tx i would say come on over and we can get her done. but boston is a bit of a trek to texas
()_) ()_)----)_)
superjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2004, 03:33 PM   #3
wittymonkey

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjoe
if you were in San Antonio, tx i would say come on over and we can get her done. but boston is a bit of a trek to texas
Yep, especially with a 4 gears only In all cases, thanks,

George
Unread 07-23-2004, 07:39 PM   #4
wittymonkey

Other question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittymonkey
Yep, especially with a 4 gears only In all cases, thanks,

George
Hi,

For the guys who did rebuilt the AX-5 transmission, I have a very important question : can you fix just the 5th gear without taking the entire transmission box out ?
And also : does it worth rebuilding just part of the transmission , as only my 5th gear isn't working , or is it as complicated to rebuild everything in fact ?

Thanks ,

George

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.