Please help me rebuilt an AX5 transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Please help me rebuilt an AX5 transmission

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-23-2004, 03:48 PM   #1
wittymonkey

Please help me rebuilt an AX5 transmission

Hi,

I live near Boston, on Somerville and I can't put my jeep (4in 1995) in the 5th gear anymore. The shop told me it would be 2000 $ to fix it ! I can't believe it.

I looked around on the net, and I have some experience with working on cars, so I think I can try to fix it myself but I think I need some help as I never fixed a tranmission before.

I think that the bad parts are the synchronizers , so I plan to buy a synchronizer kit (Syncro Kit for 99$ from Drivetrain.com), also a Gasket Kit. Apparently I might not need a press but I might still buy one from lappens , as they will give me my money back when I bring it back.

The quesiton is : I CAN USE ANY HELP I CAN GET for this. BAsically I don't have a place where I can work on my car. Is there anybody here that can help me with this ? I can borrow tools from friends, I already have some tools.

Please don't hesite with any advice,

George

popescu@mit.edu

wittymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2004, 03:51 PM   #2
superjoe

if you were in San Antonio, tx i would say come on over and we can get her done. but boston is a bit of a trek to texas
()_) ()_)----)_)
superjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2004, 04:33 PM   #3
wittymonkey

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjoe
if you were in San Antonio, tx i would say come on over and we can get her done. but boston is a bit of a trek to texas
Yep, especially with a 4 gears only In all cases, thanks,

George
Unread 07-23-2004, 08:39 PM   #4
wittymonkey

Other question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittymonkey
Yep, especially with a 4 gears only In all cases, thanks,

George
Hi,

For the guys who did rebuilt the AX-5 transmission, I have a very important question : can you fix just the 5th gear without taking the entire transmission box out ?
And also : does it worth rebuilding just part of the transmission , as only my 5th gear isn't working , or is it as complicated to rebuild everything in fact ?

Thanks ,

George

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.