please help me with my BF goodrich tires - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 06-26-2013, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
farisyj
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: muscat
Posts: 9
please help me with my BF goodrich tires

Dear jeepers..
i have 31x10.5 R15x7" on my jeep and i am thinking of changing my rim to Wider rims from 7" to 10"...will i fit into the 31s? if it does, will my jeep get a bit lower due to width of rim and tire diameter?

thanks

farisyj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 Old 06-26-2013, 04:28 PM
jsipe007
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Reno
Posts: 491
Out of curiosity why do you want a 10 in width tire? Do you offroad much or is it a street only rig? 10.5in wide tires on a 10in rim are too wide IMHO for a wheeling rig. Id recommend 8in wide rims unless your jeep never sees the dirt.
jsipe007 is offline  
post #3 of 25 Old 06-26-2013, 04:28 PM
bpounds
Web Wheeler
 
bpounds's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Whittier
Posts: 1,348
Generally you want to go with the tire manufacturers recommendation when selecting a rim width. For that 31x10.5x15 (assuming it is a T/A KO all-terrain), BFG recommends a rim between 7" and 9" wide. That tire should be fine on your stock 7" wheels. In fact, I'm running that exact tire on my stock rims.

Going narrower than recommended rim width can cause handling problems. I've never heard of anyone going wider than recommended, so I'm not sure what will happen if you mounted them on 10" wide rims. But I do know that you will be exposing the tire sidewall to more trail hazards.

I don't think you will notice any difference in ride height. There might be measurable difference, but it will be too slight to matter.
bpounds is offline  
post #4 of 25 Old 06-26-2013, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
farisyj
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: muscat
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsipe007 View Post
Out of curiosity why do you want a 10 in width tire? Do you offroad much or is it a street only rig? 10.5in wide tires on a 10in rim are too wide IMHO for a wheeling rig. Id recommend 8in wide rims unless your jeep never sees the dirt.
I want 10inch rims because i drive my jeep on sand dunes in my country so wider rims are always better, they kind of dig the sand. the wider the rim the better performance in off road.
farisyj is offline  
post #5 of 25 Old 06-26-2013, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
farisyj
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: muscat
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
Generally you want to go with the tire manufacturers recommendation when selecting a rim width. For that 31x10.5x15 (assuming it is a T/A KO all-terrain), BFG recommends a rim between 7" and 9" wide. That tire should be fine on your stock 7" wheels. In fact, I'm running that exact tire on my stock rims.

Going narrower than recommended rim width can cause handling problems. I've never heard of anyone going wider than recommended, so I'm not sure what will happen if you mounted them on 10" wide rims. But I do know that you will be exposing the tire sidewall to more trail hazards.

I don't think you will notice any difference in ride height. There might be measurable difference, but it will be too slight to matter.
thanks for sharing your information bro i never knew that there are recomendations!
farisyj is offline  
post #6 of 25 Old 06-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Randonexplosion
Deplorable
 
Randonexplosion's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cortez
Posts: 7,256
Wider wheels help in the sand? Wider tires, yes. To the best of my knowledge you want your wheel at least 2 inches narrower than your tire. Mine are 12.5" wide and I run an 8" wide wheel. I would imagine airing down pretty low in the sand, and I would think that a 10.5" tire on a 10" wheel would lose a bead quite a bit easier.
Randonexplosion is offline  
post #7 of 25 Old 06-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Reno72
Web Wheeler
 
Reno72's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cardiff by the Sea - Glamis North
Posts: 1,328
Running lower tire pressure on 8" rims would do better in sand. The problem you will have running 10" rims with 10.5 " tires is that if you lower your tire pressure for a wider foot print you risk breaking the bead and losing the tire while wheeling. If you're going 10" rims you need a much wider tire. Also 10" rims will hurt your turning radius unless you also run wheel spacers which I do not recommend.
Reno72 is offline  
post #8 of 25 Old 06-26-2013, 04:50 PM
AmmitOsiris
Web Wheeler
 
AmmitOsiris's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brentwood
Posts: 3,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by farisyj

I want 10inch rims because i drive my jeep on sand dunes in my country so wider rims are always better, they kind of dig the sand. the wider the rim the better performance in off road.
No that's where you are wrong, what they mean is a wider tire, the wider rim won't do anything but add looks, and you will be kicking yourself in the arse because every time you go out you will popping a bead
AmmitOsiris is offline  
post #9 of 25 Old 06-26-2013, 04:51 PM
AmmitOsiris
Web Wheeler
 
AmmitOsiris's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brentwood
Posts: 3,828
Well looks the three of us have matching opinions
AmmitOsiris is offline  
post #10 of 25 Old 06-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Randonexplosion
Deplorable
 
Randonexplosion's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cortez
Posts: 7,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post
Well looks the three of us have matching opinions
All within 2 minutes
Randonexplosion is offline  
post #11 of 25 Old 06-26-2013, 04:59 PM
roadyrob
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: west palm beach fl
Posts: 1,980
I have run 31" 10.50 on 10" rims for about a year. I have had no problems with them but haven't aired down. I plan on switching to a 8" rim next week but that is because I found some rims I like, not because I had a problem.

EDIT. also, 10" rims will not effect your turning radius and they don't rub. backspacing determines that.

Do everything with a positive attitude, it won't always work but you'll piss enough people off to make it worthwhile.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline  
post #12 of 25 Old 06-26-2013, 05:00 PM
skyj
Web Wheeler
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Helena
Posts: 4,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post
Well looks the three of us have matching opinions
That and it will look like this... If that's your sort of thing?

build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/skyj-eccentric-build-1467426/ '90 YJ 5.2 magnum MPI, AX15, NP231 SYE, Dana 30 4.56 open/ 8.8 4.56 detriot locker. 1" shackles
2" BL, 4" stretch all on saggy waggy springs.
skyj is online now  
post #13 of 25 Old 06-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Randonexplosion
Deplorable
 
Randonexplosion's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cortez
Posts: 7,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
That and it will look like this... If that's your sort of thing?
Makes me want to vomit

Randonexplosion is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 06-26-2013, 05:15 PM
Reno72
Web Wheeler
 
Reno72's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cardiff by the Sea - Glamis North
Posts: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob View Post
I have run 31" 10.50 on 10" rims for about a year. I have had no problems with them but haven't aired down. I plan on switching to a 8" rim next week but that is because I found some rims I like, not because I had a problem.

EDIT. also, 10" rims will not effect your turning radius and they don't rub. backspacing determines that.
Two points "you didn't air down" tells me you didn't run sand dunes as the OP is seeking advice about. You won't go far with aired up tires in deep sand, I have a second home at Glamis and know sand dunes. Point two, yes backspace is what affects turning radius, but unless you're running 10" rims with 3" backspace you're going to rub. That little backspace ( as the photo above shows) puts more weight on your bearings and ball joints, same problem wheel spacers cause.
Reno72 is offline  
post #15 of 25 Old 06-26-2013, 05:36 PM
roadyrob
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: west palm beach fl
Posts: 1,980
I agree on the airing down, 10" is to wide for that. haven't run sand dunes but have drove in s fla sugar sand without any problems, a few beach runs too. my rims are 4" backspace and they have never rubbed. you need to rethink rims, it doesn't matter what the width is, the extra width just sticks out farther, backspace determines if they will rub.

Do everything with a positive attitude, it won't always work but you'll piss enough people off to make it worthwhile.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome