please help me with my BF goodrich tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > please help me with my BF goodrich tires

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
farisyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

please help me with my BF goodrich tires

Dear jeepers..
i have 31x10.5 R15x7" on my jeep and i am thinking of changing my rim to Wider rims from 7" to 10"...will i fit into the 31s? if it does, will my jeep get a bit lower due to width of rim and tire diameter?

thanks

farisyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Out of curiosity why do you want a 10 in width tire? Do you offroad much or is it a street only rig? 10.5in wide tires on a 10in rim are too wide IMHO for a wheeling rig. Id recommend 8in wide rims unless your jeep never sees the dirt.
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Generally you want to go with the tire manufacturers recommendation when selecting a rim width. For that 31x10.5x15 (assuming it is a T/A KO all-terrain), BFG recommends a rim between 7" and 9" wide. That tire should be fine on your stock 7" wheels. In fact, I'm running that exact tire on my stock rims.

Going narrower than recommended rim width can cause handling problems. I've never heard of anyone going wider than recommended, so I'm not sure what will happen if you mounted them on 10" wide rims. But I do know that you will be exposing the tire sidewall to more trail hazards.

I don't think you will notice any difference in ride height. There might be measurable difference, but it will be too slight to matter.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
farisyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsipe007 View Post
Out of curiosity why do you want a 10 in width tire? Do you offroad much or is it a street only rig? 10.5in wide tires on a 10in rim are too wide IMHO for a wheeling rig. Id recommend 8in wide rims unless your jeep never sees the dirt.
I want 10inch rims because i drive my jeep on sand dunes in my country so wider rims are always better, they kind of dig the sand. the wider the rim the better performance in off road.
Unread 06-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
farisyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
Generally you want to go with the tire manufacturers recommendation when selecting a rim width. For that 31x10.5x15 (assuming it is a T/A KO all-terrain), BFG recommends a rim between 7" and 9" wide. That tire should be fine on your stock 7" wheels. In fact, I'm running that exact tire on my stock rims.

Going narrower than recommended rim width can cause handling problems. I've never heard of anyone going wider than recommended, so I'm not sure what will happen if you mounted them on 10" wide rims. But I do know that you will be exposing the tire sidewall to more trail hazards.

I don't think you will notice any difference in ride height. There might be measurable difference, but it will be too slight to matter.
thanks for sharing your information bro i never knew that there are recomendations!
Unread 06-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Wider wheels help in the sand? Wider tires, yes. To the best of my knowledge you want your wheel at least 2 inches narrower than your tire. Mine are 12.5" wide and I run an 8" wide wheel. I would imagine airing down pretty low in the sand, and I would think that a 10.5" tire on a 10" wheel would lose a bead quite a bit easier.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Running lower tire pressure on 8" rims would do better in sand. The problem you will have running 10" rims with 10.5 " tires is that if you lower your tire pressure for a wider foot print you risk breaking the bead and losing the tire while wheeling. If you're going 10" rims you need a much wider tire. Also 10" rims will hurt your turning radius unless you also run wheel spacers which I do not recommend.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by farisyj

I want 10inch rims because i drive my jeep on sand dunes in my country so wider rims are always better, they kind of dig the sand. the wider the rim the better performance in off road.
No that's where you are wrong, what they mean is a wider tire, the wider rim won't do anything but add looks, and you will be kicking yourself in the arse because every time you go out you will popping a bead
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well looks the three of us have matching opinions
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post
All within 2 minutes

August YJOTM

Unread 06-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have run 31" 10.50 on 10" rims for about a year. I have had no problems with them but haven't aired down. I plan on switching to a 8" rim next week but that is because I found some rims I like, not because I had a problem.

EDIT. also, 10" rims will not effect your turning radius and they don't rub. backspacing determines that.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #12
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post
That and it will look like this... If that's your sort of thing?
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
That and it will look like this... If that's your sort of thing?
Makes me want to vomit

August YJOTM

Unread 06-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #14
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob View Post
I have run 31" 10.50 on 10" rims for about a year. I have had no problems with them but haven't aired down. I plan on switching to a 8" rim next week but that is because I found some rims I like, not because I had a problem.

EDIT. also, 10" rims will not effect your turning radius and they don't rub. backspacing determines that.
Two points "you didn't air down" tells me you didn't run sand dunes as the OP is seeking advice about. You won't go far with aired up tires in deep sand, I have a second home at Glamis and know sand dunes. Point two, yes backspace is what affects turning radius, but unless you're running 10" rims with 3" backspace you're going to rub. That little backspace ( as the photo above shows) puts more weight on your bearings and ball joints, same problem wheel spacers cause.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #15
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I agree on the airing down, 10" is to wide for that. haven't run sand dunes but have drove in s fla sugar sand without any problems, a few beach runs too. my rims are 4" backspace and they have never rubbed. you need to rethink rims, it doesn't matter what the width is, the extra width just sticks out farther, backspace determines if they will rub.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.