Please help me do this right the first time! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Please help me do this right the first time!

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 10-08-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
Mike-In-Mass
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Please help me do this right the first time!

My automatic tranny in my 94YJ sucks = ~$700 used, $1500 rebuild

My 4.0 has 170k and a slight lower end clunking = ~$300-500 used

Cant I just find a $1500 chevy pick-up/mopar/Ford and take the 350/318/302and the tranny and the 8.8 or D60 etc and save myself some money??

Wouldnt this be an upgrade of power and performance for my Jeep as opposed to replacing junk with junk??

If yes please let me know what I should be looking for. I would prefer something with a carb instead of the FI. Does that make sense?

Can I take an older 350/318/302 and use that?? Will it still pass inspection in Mass or do I need to look for one from 94ish??

Thanx

Mike-In-Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
wildchild
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Im doing the same thing. I bought a running 1990 Chevy Suburban But I am going with a carb so I dont have to screw with the injection system. Also I am replacing the 700R4 that came with it to a "Granny gear manual 4 speed. Using the Suburban axles but changing the gears from 3.42 to 3.73 or 4.10 (i have not decided on that yet)
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
bigredcherokee
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Your looking at alot of time and money if you go and do V8 swap.

I prefer a 4.0 any day and you have a Ax-15 trans which is a medium duty. It will bot to a V8 but you will need a conversion kit form someone like advanced adapters.

Look to Painless wiring and Advanced adapters and do a search for v8 conversions. you will get a tone of info.

Wildchild is right on the carb and wiring. but if you want TBI or MPI or even Tuneport you will need to look at painless to have it work right.
Unread 10-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #4
Mike-In-Mass
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Big-Red, Can you tell me why you prefer the 4.0?
Unread 10-08-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
navman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Motor/tranny swaps require planning, time, and money. I am in the middle of such a project. I have a 1988 mustang 5.0 efi. Wiring of this motor is extremely simple and keeping it efi will do a few things for you, good performance, even on hills etc, easy starting, and will still be efi come inspection time. The Mass inspection is going to change for 09 and be mostly targeted at OBDII vehicles our yj's are only OBDI, so this should not be an issue, but I don't know about going to a carb on an efi vehicle. A painless wiring kit is not neccesary for a ford efi at all. The clutch for a manual jeep is hydraulic while a mustang is cable, I got a bellhousing from an 85 f250 which also has a hydraulic clutch. I am also using the trans from the f250 which is an np435 4 speed w/granny 6.68 first gear. Next is a novak trans/tcase adapter to the jeep transfer case. Follow that w/an sye to a cv driveshaft to a ford 8.8 rearend. You can get creative for most of the parts (ebay/junk yard/etc) but it can take some time and thats only half the battle. Don't know if this helps, just what I've come across so far.
Unread 10-08-2008, 10:35 PM   #6
bigredcherokee
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-In-Mass View Post
Big-Red, Can you tell me why you prefer the 4.0?
The 4.0 is tried and true when taken care of. I have a 91 with 300,000 miles on it still going strong and I have the one in my 92 YJ out of my 95 XJ with 280,000 and still no problems. I though about going V8 yes but it just took more to do it when I already had the setup for a I6. I would have stroked my I6 or purchased a stroked on if I had the funds. I have run 4.88 and 4.56 with 32"s TSLs to 39" Irocs and still hit 70 down the road.

Fuel injected 6's are great off road motors, producing gobbs of low end torque! Where and when it's needed! off-road! Yeah, the 350 will produce way more HP, but at the RPMs it makes, plus if you want more torque out of an v8 you haft to increase your RPMs, things will break when off road. The six, makes its power at low RPM. I really don't mind that it doesn't have tones of get up and go. I'm not in a race care I'm in a Jeep I run a 4.0 and 5 speed in the last 4 jeeps I have owned.

Also if I break something I can hit any joes parts house and pick up my parts.
Unread 10-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #7
Mike-In-Mass
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That all makes good sense so perhaps I will reconsider. After all, I dont want my Jeep to sit in the garage for 6 months if I get frustrated or run out of $$. At least right now I can take it out in the woods and romp around a bit. So perhaps I will just stick with it until the tranny finally goes for good.....And then deal with it.
Unread 10-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #8
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

MikeinMass, W/ bigredcherokee, and how can you fault an auto tranny W/170k. I paid a shop $1400 to rebuild tranny and install an SYE I am quite happy w/the 4.0. Thought about a small block chevy, but Im too lazy, when the 4.0 goes south i will prolly get a stroker out of a crate. Happy Wheelin'

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.