please help ive never seen a carb before - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > please help ive never seen a carb before

The Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300

Unread 05-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
jeepistool
1997 XJ Cherokee 

please help ive never seen a carb before

My brother bought an 89 islander 4.2 with some kinda ford carb on it. Now to get it running we spray starting fluid in the hole twice then she runs fine even starts good after shes warm. i cant see gas entering the hole like i was told i should. does this mean its bad? can anyone tell me exactly which carb to buy because none of the oem stuff remains, vac lines, huge goofy air cleaner i really like the aftermarket 12" air filter and the manual choke i have now and was lookin for an ederbrock or holly thank you for reading

jeepistool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Jax89Jeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you infact have a motorcraft 2100/2150 you already have a great carb.... It may just need a rebuild and retune. These are reliable, great for off camber trail driving, and the easiest the deal with carb for a newbie. Easy to rebuild and tune. Typical rebuild kit is $20 or so. Buying a new carb would be a waste of cash.

Post some pics, it will be easy to tell what you have.
Jax89Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
NH2112
Web Wheeler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

A manual choke is probably the least effective of all kinds, if it was me I'd scrounge up the parts to convert it to automatic. The need for starting fluid could be due to the manual choke (with an automatic choke you pump once or twice to set the choke and give a good shot of gas), bad accelerator pump, incorrect idle mixture, incorrect idle speed setting, etc. My recommendation would be to have it tuned or do it yourself - assuming it's not dirty inside it can be done in about 5 minutes with a vacuum gauge once the engine is warmed up - and see how it goes from there.

'90 YJ w/4.2l & 4.0l head, Weber carb, 5-speed, 4" RC lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG MT KM2s.
NH2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
40dog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

pictures of carb please
Unread 05-28-2012, 03:10 AM   #5
jeepistool
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you Sirs im having a hard time getting a camera it has numbers 1.06 stamped in a circle if that helps. also it seems much larger than the 2100/2150 or anything that should be on it
jeepistool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carb , carburetor , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.