PLEASE HELP!-front drivers side axle shaft wont slide out?...C-Clips?...nobody knows? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > PLEASE HELP!-front drivers side axle shaft wont slide out?...C-Clips?...nobody knows?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 09-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
cherokeepride

PLEASE HELP!-front drivers side axle shaft wont slide out?...C-Clips?...nobody knows?

Ok so Im trying to replace the front drivers side axle shaft on my 87 Wrangler. I read I could use the front axle shaft out of a Cherokee so I pulled one from the junk yard it slide right out no problem. I brought it home and tried to slide the axle shaft out of my Wrangler and it has about an inch of play but just stops dead in its tracks. I see a clip on the passangers side but the drivers side has nothing as far as I can see. Whats going on here is there a clip thats preventing it from sliding out or is there some special trick nobodys telling me?...any info would help, thanks

cherokeepride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
cherokeepride

and if there is a clip holding it in place how hard is it to remove?...is there an easier way to replace it. The axle shaft that slides into the axle tube looks fine its just the peice that meets the hub thats destroyed is there a way I could just remove it at the U joint and swap it out there rather than disembling everything to pull a clip out "if thats the case"...Im trying to get this Jeep done today please help!
Unread 09-29-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
raynmaker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Had a liquid lunch so this might not come out right. The shafts are easiest to pull if done so with the hub. The inner pass side shaft is the only one with a clip. I use a slide happer to pull the hubs and the shafts come right along for the ride. Never pulled them seperate tho
Unread 09-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Pop the diff cover and check for c clips. It is very likely that you have them on your '87.
Unread 09-30-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
cherokeepride

yeah I popped the diff cover off already I only see a C-clip on the passangers side. If the drivers side has a C-clip where would it be located because I dont see it anywhere but it definately feels like theres one there. The axle will start to slide out about an inch maybe but just stops dead in its tracks!
Unread 09-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Try rotating the shaft around. If there's one on the passenger side, there should be one on the drivers side as well. Yank the center pin in the diff and get your hand inside and try fishing out the clip.
Unread 09-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
pariah24
2004 TJ Wrangler 

There is no C-Clip on the drivers side shaft in a D30. When I pulled mine a few weeks ago, I just used a socket to wedge in there and turned the wheel to pop the entire hub assembly loose. You may have to wiggle it back and forth to get it to disengage from the gears.
pariah24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
Mistic
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yes...Pariah24 is correct. I have an 87 YJ and this past weekend I removed both of my front axles to redo my upper and lower ball joints. There is "NO" clips on the axles. Actually my D30 did not have a clip on either side. You are going to want to remove the hub along with the axle, it is much easier. Once on the bench separate them if need be.

Do yourself a favor and do not try fighting with a slap hammer or any other type of method if the hub is stuck, which it probably will be. Follow this link and all you need is a 2-1/2" bolt or socket like also mentioned above and an a 2nd person and the hub will pop right out once unbolted.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/unit...tbearing-1.htm
Unread 09-30-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
Jax89Jeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Some D30's do have c-clips... My 89 did. They were used only to hold things in place on the assembly line from what I have heard. When I rebuilt my D30 a few months back I left them out so future service will be easier.
Jax89Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #10
cherokeepride

ok so do they have c-clips or do they not lol Im getting so many different answers...I clearly see one on the passangers side but not at all on the drivers side?...If there is a C-clip on the drivers side where would it be?...How hard of a Job is it to remove it Im afraid to beat on this axle until I figure this out...heres a pic "if it uploaded properly" maybe this helps
jeep-gears.jpg  
Unread 09-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
liftedyj91

1991 YJ Wrangler 

see that unit bearing with the wheel studs on it? remove the three bolts on the back side of it, it like a 12 point box end on i forget what size wrench, this is of course after you have removed the caliper and rotor.. then im sure it will be a pita but beat the **** out of it till the bearing comes loose with the shaft attached. dont remove the center nut and pin unless you have too. it should slide right out of the axle tube nd leave you nothing but the spindle. let us know how it goes. tip if and when you get it off, put anti seize around the out side of the bearing before the re install. it makes the next time alot easier
liftedyj91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #12
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftedyj91 View Post
see that unit bearing with the wheel studs on it? remove the three bolts on the back side of it, it like a 12 point box end on i forget what size wrench, this is of course after you have removed the caliper and rotor.. then im sure it will be a pita but beat the **** out of it till the bearing comes loose with the shaft attached. dont remove the center nut and pin unless you have too. it should slide right out of the axle tube nd leave you nothing but the spindle. let us know how it goes. tip if and when you get it off, put anti seize around the out side of the bearing before the re install. it makes the next time alot easier
13 mm btw. Nice explanation as well.
Unread 09-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #13
liftedyj91

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
13 mm btw. Nice explanation as well.
ha ha thanks. ive done it a time or two, every time that damn shaft breaks!!
liftedyj91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #14
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ooops wrong side.
Unread 09-30-2011, 08:00 PM   #15
cherokeepride

unbolt the disconnect?...lol if she does have a C-clip where would it be located and how hard is it to remove?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.