Pleas help with "crunching" sound coming from front wheel area - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Pleas help with "crunching" sound coming from front wheel area

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-28-2009, 07:31 AM   #1
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Pleas help with "crunching" sound coming from front wheel area

Yesterday I heard a crunching sound coming from front end, didn't think anything of it as it sounded just like driving on some ice, crunching or popping sound seems to be coming from front wheel, but then I kept noticing it so I knew I have a problem. It only makes the sound when turning sharp in either direction. I gave it a quick visual and didn't see anything obvious, too cold to work on it last night. Do you guys have any ideas on what to look for? Maybe a wheel bearing? Thank you for the help.

Unread 02-28-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Need some more specs on your rig in your profile. Are you stock, lifted, bigger tires???

My advise would be to remove the wheel in question and check things over. Grab the wheel before removal and test this:
hold at 3 & 9 O'clock position and try to move the tire back and forth. If she moves, you are looking at steering problem/tie rods etc. Prolly not your issue.

Hold at 6 & 12 position and repeat. If you have wheel bearing/hub issues, this is where you will see movement. Not this can also show ball joint issues but that would have made a different sound/feeling than just a crunch.

Give your U joint a once over as well.

Also, if you are lifted/bigger tires, you could be rubbing the inner tire on the frame/leaf spring at full turn.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2009, 07:46 AM   #3
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

sorry Rusty, My rig is pretty stock with no sway bar or trac bars, slightly bigger tires, maybe 30" tall or so. This problem has just occurred. I am heating up the garage right now to do some tests.
Unread 02-28-2009, 07:49 AM   #4
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep View Post
sorry Rusty, My rig is pretty stock with no sway bar or trac bars, slightly bigger tires, maybe 30" tall or so. This problem has just occurred. I am heating up the garage right now to do some tests.
Sounds good. Hopefully it is not the hub. I hate hub work.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Unread 02-28-2009, 07:52 AM   #5
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

So how will I know if it is the hub?
Unread 02-28-2009, 07:55 AM   #6
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

If you are having noises in the cabin, you will know the hub is bad by the feel. It should not be loose at all. The instructions above that I listed will show a bad hub.

Unread 02-28-2009, 07:58 AM   #7
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
If you are having noises in the cabin, you will know the hub is bad by the feel. It should not be loose at all. The instructions above that I listed will show a bad hub.
OK thanks. It crunches pretty bad but only when turning. I'm going to the garage now, I'll keep you posted.
Unread 02-28-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

*Update* Well I got it fixed. Jacked the front up... Nothing loose, tires did not wiggle or anything. Took it for a drive, everything was normal...continued driving for a minute, the dreaded crunch was back when turning. Drove back home. Did some searching around and finally came to the conclusion that my leaf springs had some ice in them and were rubbing together, Gave them a good spray of the PB and life is GOOOOD!!
Unread 02-28-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
griffsyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

haha thats awesome..i wish i had that kinda luck when i heard a bad noise. mines always something drastic like an axle shaft comming out of the axle!
griffsyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2009, 08:39 PM   #10
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffsyj View Post
haha thats awesome..i wish i had that kinda luck when i heard a bad noise. mines always something drastic like an axle shaft comming out of the axle!
Ha ha, same here, I always prepare for the worst...I got lucky this time!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.