Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Plastic/rubber valve cover elbow?

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  southbound 
#1 ·
This small plastic/rubber elbow on the rear of my valve cover has deteriorated badly. The small hard line running from it to the manifold is falling out of it. I managed to do a quick fix with some RTV silicon, but I am not sure how long this will hold. I don't want to get any contaminants in there, so I need to find a replacement elbow soon. What is the official name for this part? And is it something I can find online through a retailer, or is this something that only the stealership will have:confused:?

Here are some pics of what I'm talking about-

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks, I did a little research and saw a few people who had installed the small filter that you're talking about, but what do I do with the line that runs from the PCV valve to the manifold? Hopefully your pics can help me out a bit :cheers2:

Thanks for the quick reply :2thumbsup:

#5 ·
the one pic wouldnt upload, but as far as the other end just plug it. with what? depends on how hokey you are willing to go. right now mine has an old spark plug in it untill i get the time to epoxy over where i will be cutting off the nipple. just kep it plugged otherwise it will suck unfiltered air into the motor which=bad

#6 ·
i used the same filter on mine. and used a cap from a small bottle of Texas Pete hot sauce. Southbound, if your still Army, you know the little sample bottles I'm talking about at the DFAC.

i just tossed the tube, and cap off the little nub on the air box.

#7 ·
I'll go pick up a filter tomorrow from Autozone. If the tube going to the manifold can be discarded and capped, then what was the purpose of it in the first place? Mine doesn't go to the air cleaner, but plugs into the manifold. Is there any difference? Or can I still just cap it off and not worry about it?

I just want to make sure I'm not going to mess anything up :cheers2:.

#9 ·
I bought a cheapo crankcase breather filter (I think it was for a Ford) that was enclosed with a nipple out the bottom that plugged into the valve cover and one out the side to go into the air cleaner. I liked that idea better then just having it open because when I'm having a really good day there will be river water splashing around in my engine compartment and I don't want it to get pulled into the engine if I can help it. Total cost 4.25

#10 ·
Just go to the Jeep dealer and order a new one. They are only a few dollars and then all your emmisions will still work.

#12 ·
Thought I'd post a follow up on this thread-

I went to the local dealership to get a new rubber elbow/bushing. I had to buy the whole bushing plus the two hard lines with their bushings that connect to the exhaust manifold.

All in all, it cost me $7 and about 2 minutes worth of work.

Thanks for the help guys,

:cheers2:

#11 ·
It's not a PCV. It's just an elbow. I fought with mine for a year. Went to a dealer and bought one. Under 3 bucks. That's the way to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.