Plasti Dip my whole jeep - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Plasti Dip my whole jeep

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #31
tonkatrucksryan

2014 JK Wrangler 

Has anyone done the outside of their Jeep with Monstaliner?

Don't hate me for asking...

26 Years USAF Retired 1MAY14

Past Jeeps:
04 TJ Rub,05 TJ, 75CJ5, 88YJ
tonkatrucksryan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #32
wwch99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkatrucksryan View Post
Has anyone done the outside of their Jeep with Monstaliner?

Don't hate me for asking...
Several in this thread have...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/m...riors-1376308/

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using JeepForum
wwch99tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #33
jaycal3
Web Wheeler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Considering "Dipping" my Jeep as well. Was very serious about the Monstaliner but no one has been able to tell me what happens if I decide I dont like the texture. You cant just remove it or sand it off like paint/dip... The plastidip thing is a bit intriguing - moderate effort over the course of a day and your jeep can look new. Will it be perfect? No way... but, its a Jeep! Still torn, and wish I knew how to spray automotive paint correctly!

Do your part for Leukemia research - help find a cure.
http://mskcc.convio.net/goto/Jay_Calabrese
KCCO
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #34
wwch99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycal3 View Post
Considering "Dipping" my Jeep as well. Was very serious about the Monstaliner but no one has been able to tell me what happens if I decide I dont like the texture. You cant just remove it or sand it off like paint/dip... The plastidip thing is a bit intriguing - moderate effort over the course of a day and your jeep can look new. Will it be perfect? No way... but, its a Jeep! Still torn, and wish I knew how to spray paint correctly!
Send "magnetman" a pm I'm sure he'll get back to you...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using JeepForum
wwch99tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #35
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm a veteran plastidip user and it's wide range of uses. I have used it on my motorcycle and WJ to get an idea of what black would look like in certain spots. It's on my YJ wheels right now until I have money for new wheels. It's a very useful product but IS NOT good for the outside of a YJ or TJ. It will rip if you hit your foot on the runners and then you have to re-spray that spot before the rip spreads. It is also incredibly hard to wash because a high-pressure nozzle will start tearing it.

Also...it doesn't take 10 minutes to peel off. Granted, the thicker you apply it, the easier it is to peel off. But it took me more than 30 min to remove it from motorcycle forks so I'm guessing it is at least a 2 hour job on a tub. I love the stuff and I almost always have a bottle or two, but it just isn't durable enough for any areas that see a lot of abuse.
dcocch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #36
jaycal3
Web Wheeler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcocch View Post
I'm a veteran plastidip user and it's wide range of uses. I have used it on my motorcycle and WJ to get an idea of what black would look like in certain spots. It's on my YJ wheels right now until I have money for new wheels. It's a very useful product but IS NOT good for the outside of a YJ or TJ. It will rip if you hit your foot on the runners and then you have to re-spray that spot before the rip spreads. It is also incredibly hard to wash because a high-pressure nozzle will start tearing it.

Also...it doesn't take 10 minutes to peel off. Granted, the thicker you apply it, the easier it is to peel off. But it took me more than 30 min to remove it from motorcycle forks so I'm guessing it is at least a 2 hour job on a tub. I love the stuff and I almost always have a bottle or two, but it just isn't durable enough for any areas that see a lot of abuse.
I appreciate you sharing your experience with it. Doesnt sound like what I am looking for.

Do your part for Leukemia research - help find a cure.
http://mskcc.convio.net/goto/Jay_Calabrese
KCCO
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #37
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here are a few of things I have "dipped" and how long they lasted:

Lasted about 8 months but I had to re-touch chips from rocks every 2-3 weeks (maybe 1.5 cans worth of touch ups)

Wind Screen lasted about 3 weeks so I ripped it off and applied it to the inside.

Cladding lasted about 4 months. but had a lot of rips on rocker panels from getting in and out of the WJ. Also if you drip any gas on plastidip it will dissolve. Wheels have lasted about 9 months now but I re-apply every tire rotation.

Oh, it is a cheap and non-permanent way to tint tail lights! Just do very light coats over the lenses. Or...you can do a regular coat over side markers and the light will still shine through them (not recommended for head or tail lights!)

With lights/hazards on:

Last edited by dcocch; 05-30-2013 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: added pics
dcocch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.