Plasti Dip my whole jeep - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 37 Old 05-27-2013, 03:02 PM
tonkatrucksryan
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Colonial Beach
Posts: 734
Has anyone done the outside of their Jeep with Monstaliner?

Don't hate me for asking...


New build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/t...014-a-2020929/

26 Years USAF Retired 1MAY14

Past Jeeps:
04 TJ Rub,05 TJ, 75CJ5, 88YJ
tonkatrucksryan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 37 Old 05-27-2013, 03:39 PM
wwch99tj
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Felton
Posts: 3,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkatrucksryan View Post
Has anyone done the outside of their Jeep with Monstaliner?

Don't hate me for asking...
Several in this thread have...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/m...riors-1376308/

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using JeepForum
wwch99tj is offline  
post #33 of 37 Old 05-30-2013, 12:12 PM
jaycal3
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,266
Considering "Dipping" my Jeep as well. Was very serious about the Monstaliner but no one has been able to tell me what happens if I decide I dont like the texture. You cant just remove it or sand it off like paint/dip... The plastidip thing is a bit intriguing - moderate effort over the course of a day and your jeep can look new. Will it be perfect? No way... but, its a Jeep! Still torn, and wish I knew how to spray automotive paint correctly!

93 YJ, 6 cyl,3.5" BDS,1" Prothane BL,1/2" booms, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ on MT Beadlocks.

Do your part for Leukemia research - help find a cure.
http://mskcc.convio.net/goto/Jay_Calabrese
KCCO
jaycal3 is offline  
post #34 of 37 Old 05-30-2013, 12:29 PM
wwch99tj
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Felton
Posts: 3,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycal3 View Post
Considering "Dipping" my Jeep as well. Was very serious about the Monstaliner but no one has been able to tell me what happens if I decide I dont like the texture. You cant just remove it or sand it off like paint/dip... The plastidip thing is a bit intriguing - moderate effort over the course of a day and your jeep can look new. Will it be perfect? No way... but, its a Jeep! Still torn, and wish I knew how to spray paint correctly!
Send "magnetman" a pm I'm sure he'll get back to you...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using JeepForum
wwch99tj is offline  
post #35 of 37 Old 05-30-2013, 01:50 PM
dcocch
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 175
I'm a veteran plastidip user and it's wide range of uses. I have used it on my motorcycle and WJ to get an idea of what black would look like in certain spots. It's on my YJ wheels right now until I have money for new wheels. It's a very useful product but IS NOT good for the outside of a YJ or TJ. It will rip if you hit your foot on the runners and then you have to re-spray that spot before the rip spreads. It is also incredibly hard to wash because a high-pressure nozzle will start tearing it.

Also...it doesn't take 10 minutes to peel off. Granted, the thicker you apply it, the easier it is to peel off. But it took me more than 30 min to remove it from motorcycle forks so I'm guessing it is at least a 2 hour job on a tub. I love the stuff and I almost always have a bottle or two, but it just isn't durable enough for any areas that see a lot of abuse.
dcocch is offline  
post #36 of 37 Old 05-30-2013, 01:52 PM
jaycal3
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcocch View Post
I'm a veteran plastidip user and it's wide range of uses. I have used it on my motorcycle and WJ to get an idea of what black would look like in certain spots. It's on my YJ wheels right now until I have money for new wheels. It's a very useful product but IS NOT good for the outside of a YJ or TJ. It will rip if you hit your foot on the runners and then you have to re-spray that spot before the rip spreads. It is also incredibly hard to wash because a high-pressure nozzle will start tearing it.

Also...it doesn't take 10 minutes to peel off. Granted, the thicker you apply it, the easier it is to peel off. But it took me more than 30 min to remove it from motorcycle forks so I'm guessing it is at least a 2 hour job on a tub. I love the stuff and I almost always have a bottle or two, but it just isn't durable enough for any areas that see a lot of abuse.
I appreciate you sharing your experience with it. Doesnt sound like what I am looking for.

93 YJ, 6 cyl,3.5" BDS,1" Prothane BL,1/2" booms, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ on MT Beadlocks.

Do your part for Leukemia research - help find a cure.
http://mskcc.convio.net/goto/Jay_Calabrese
KCCO
jaycal3 is offline  
post #37 of 37 Old 05-30-2013, 02:01 PM
dcocch
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 175
Here are a few of things I have "dipped" and how long they lasted:

Lasted about 8 months but I had to re-touch chips from rocks every 2-3 weeks (maybe 1.5 cans worth of touch ups)



Wind Screen lasted about 3 weeks so I ripped it off and applied it to the inside.


Cladding lasted about 4 months. but had a lot of rips on rocker panels from getting in and out of the WJ. Also if you drip any gas on plastidip it will dissolve. Wheels have lasted about 9 months now but I re-apply every tire rotation.



Oh, it is a cheap and non-permanent way to tint tail lights! Just do very light coats over the lenses. Or...you can do a regular coat over side markers and the light will still shine through them (not recommended for head or tail lights!)


With lights/hazards on:

Last edited by dcocch; 05-30-2013 at 02:08 PM. Reason: added pics
dcocch is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
I Plasti-Dipped my door handles. AntiPrius TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 15 03-18-2013 08:15 AM
Plasti-dipped my grille today rubicube416 JK Wrangler Technical Forum 65 12-10-2012 02:18 PM
Plasti Dip the inside of a hardtop? idahoman01 JK Wrangler Technical Forum 12 04-18-2012 09:44 AM
Plasti dip- Its not just for tools anymore YJames90 YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 9 08-14-2010 03:41 PM
Any experience with Plasti Dip???? butlerbullies YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 8 09-16-2008 10:41 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome