Planning out my stretch/soa - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Planning out my stretch/soa

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-16-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
Unii
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Planning out my stretch/soa

This past week I've been doing a lot of dreaming and I've decided once my job situation gets better I'm going to tear into the jeep again. I have settled on staying with leaf springs and going SOA. With that I'm thinking of stretching it while I'm doing it.

Been doing a lot of searching on here and PBB and I'm thinking of wagoneer springs in the rear or stock yj's due to my 8.8 almost hitting my tank as it is now. The front I'm thinking XJ springs with high steer and an astro van steering box, maybe even offset perches also to get me at that 100"+ WB I'd like to have.

I'll be sticking with my 35's for the time being maybe going back to 37 if I found a good deal. But in the long run I will eventually have one tons and 40s or so, so I don't want to regret something of have to change anything.

Also I plan on a undercoverfab high clearance skid and SYE with a traction bar in the rear. Just wondering if my plans had any major issues or if I would benefit from a different route.

Unii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Unii
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nobody?

well I'm ordering metalcloak front fenders tomorrow.
Unii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
cherokee106

if you wanta stretch the front use xj springs i used them they work great, got about 6" stretch had to get a short pitman arm but it worked better with a heim joint steering system.
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
94YJCRAIG
1994 YJ Wrangler 

would you happen to have a part number or a select years that the astro van box's come out of?
94YJCRAIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94YJCRAIG View Post
would you happen to have a part number or a select years that the astro van box's come out of?
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...+front+stretch

google is your friend.
scubamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

if you get a ucf get the flattest one possible and modify the tunnel. with that much stretch and 35s you are going to need some belly clearance.

id like to see someone simply move the frame hard mounts.

be careful when using short pitman arms you can loose potential steering radius that way.
Unread 02-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I forsee one issue. That being with your proposed Belly up and not really stretching the rear any, specifically driveline angle and bind @ the double cardan joint. In fact, I added a MML to help combat this and am happy with where it sits now.

With my 4" suspension setup (3.5" springs, .5" shackles) and I am what I'd consider close to the limit for angle on that double joint @ droop. You're going to have significantly more suspension than I do SOA.

You could maybe solve that with a higher angle setup than what the normal Tom Woods shaft has, I think they offer higher angle offset joints, but don't quote me.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unii View Post
This past week I've been doing a lot of dreaming and I've decided once my job situation gets better I'm going to tear into the jeep again. I have settled on staying with leaf springs and going SOA. With that I'm thinking of stretching it while I'm doing it.

Been doing a lot of searching on here and PBB and I'm thinking of wagoneer springs in the rear or stock yj's due to my 8.8 almost hitting my tank as it is now. The front I'm thinking XJ springs with high steer and an astro van steering box, maybe even offset perches also to get me at that 100"+ WB I'd like to have.

I'll be sticking with my 35's for the time being maybe going back to 37 if I found a good deal. But in the long run I will eventually have one tons and 40s or so, so I don't want to regret something of have to change anything.

Also I plan on a undercoverfab high clearance skid and SYE with a traction bar in the rear. Just wondering if my plans had any major issues or if I would benefit from a different route.
don't let the gas tank and its location limit your plans. I would honestly rather have a fuel cell and the stock skid than the extra inch below. then you can stretch to any distance in the rear.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Having a stretched rear axle does start to invade the gastank's space a little bit. I'm rubbing on mine when I go over speed bumps and am considering just putting the axle where it would go stock. The only problem I forsee on mine is the driveshaft has already served me so well already.
Unread 02-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am at 103" wheel base. Front 6" stretch with 4" stretch in the rear.

Front stretch starts at post #25
Rear stretch starts at post #30

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/e...build-1151311/

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with fratis

I'd just move the hangers back with a set of say 1.5" re soa springs. A friend did it to his yj and it works.

Also if your moving the rear axle 2" you'll have to deal with the tank being right where you want your axle. Either the mold a bump routine, genright or cell deal. I'm about 4" back from stock and just found a comp tank on PBB for cheap. So far I like the tank but despite what genright claims it hangs down 6" from the frame a hair more than stock. I've been hacking up the rear crossmember and managed to cram it up about 3" with a 1" body lift.
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #12
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Bfh...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.