Pitman arm removal trouble. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Pitman arm removal trouble.

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 04-21-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
randall979
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Pitman arm removal trouble.

I have a 95 everything in the steering is stock. I got a puller from O'reilly's broke it, went back and got another one and a torch and banged on it, still won't budge. Does anyone have any suggestions I'm stumped.

randall979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Alex77cj7
1977 CJ7 

put a puller on it as tight as you can and then hit it with a bfh (big F***ing hammer) a couple of times and it should come right off... also a good idea is to soak it in wd-40 rust release penetrant for about 20-30 minutes or so.. worked perfectly for me.
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
randall979
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex77cj7
put a puller on it as tight as you can and then hit it with a bfh (big F***ing hammer) a couple of times and it should come right off... also a good idea is to soak it in wd-40 rust release penetrant for about 20-30 minutes or so.. worked perfectly for me.
I did that. I used PB blaster. Put as much pressure as I could put the torch on it and beat the hell out of it.
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #4
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by randall979

I did that. I used PB blaster. Put as much pressure as I could put the torch on it and beat the hell out of it.
Pb blast it every 30 mins for a couple of hours. Hit it with a torch then let it cool, repeat this about three of four times. After last cool hit with pb blaster again. Wait about 15 mins. Put puller on with as much pressure as it will stand, hit with torch, then beat with hammer. While it has pressure on it, soak in more pb. Hit with torch and then hammer. If this doesn't work sawzall lol.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #5
Alex77cj7
1977 CJ7 

Also don't hit up or down on the pitman arm. Hit strait back into it on the front part where it mounts to the steering gear. That's what works best for me.
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex77cj7
Also don't hit up or down on the pitman arm. Hit strait back into it on the front part where it mounts to the steering gear. That's what works best for me.
He won't be able to hit it straight on with the puller on it. Tap it side to side, don't hit too hard or you may damage the gearbox.

[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 11:43 PM   #7
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

the trick is doing it in steps. tighten puller, hit, tighten puller, hit. then let it sit for awhile. it will actually pop on its own. if you just put the puller on and start cranking you will break the puller and it wont come off. allow it to sit under pressure.
Unread 04-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #8
Alex77cj7
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
the trick is doing it in steps. tighten puller, hit, tighten puller, hit. then let it sit for awhile. it will actually pop on its own. if you just put the puller on and start cranking you will break the puller and it wont come off. allow it to sit under pressure.
Thats exactly what i usually do but plus pb blaster or wd-40. i forgot to mention the let sit part earlier! definitely helps a ton to let it sit! last time i did a friends and i tightened it, hit it, tightened it a lot, hit it, tightened it more and it wouldnt come off even though others usually do by then. me and my friend were sitting there brainstorming and then BOOM the pitman arm released and fell on my leg. scared the S*** out of me and hurt like a B****!
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:20 AM   #9
randall979
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossd1030

Pb blast it every 30 mins for a couple of hours. Hit it with a torch then let it cool, repeat this about three of four times. After last cool hit with pb blaster again. Wait about 15 mins. Put puller on with as much pressure as it will stand, hit with torch, then beat with hammer. While it has pressure on it, soak in more pb. Hit with torch and then hammer. If this doesn't work sawzall lol.

Ok. I'll try this. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Unread 04-22-2013, 01:42 AM   #10
randall979
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Since I'm having so much trouble getting the pitman arm off, I have a few questions.
I put a 2 1/2 lift on and before I didn't have any problems with the steering. After the lift the jeep is drifting to the right a little, I check the cater angle it is at 8*, I think that's where it's supposed to be. I took the track bar off thinking it would fix the drifting problem didn't help so I put them back on. The question I have is, do I need to a longer pitman arm to get the drag link more parallel to the axle?
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #11
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You must have gotten the cheaper pitman arm puller. I rented the heavy duty from Autozone and I would be very surprised if you broke it. It was around $90 for renting but well worth it. See pic.

Of course I've used the other one like fratis said with good results.
pitman-arm-puller.jpeg  

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #12
Alex77cj7
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by randall979
Since I'm having so much trouble getting the pitman arm off, I have a few questions.
I put a 2 1/2 lift on and before I didn't have any problems with the steering. After the lift the jeep is drifting to the right a little, I check the cater angle it is at 8*, I think that's where it's supposed to be. I took the track bar off thinking it would fix the drifting problem didn't help so I put them back on. The question I have is, do I need to a longer pitman arm to get the drag link more parallel to the axle?
Honestly I'd leave track bars off for the smoother ride if not anything else. They are not needed what so ever on a leaf spring vehicle. The leafs locate the axle front to back and left to right. On coil springs control arms locate it front to back while trac bars locate it left to right. I ran a 4" on my cj7 without changing pitman arm and I think a 3.5 on my yj without a drop arm with no problems.
Unread 04-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #13
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
When I replaced my gear box I didn't think I would ever get mine off. This is the method I used and it worked. Also, I found I was hitting mine in the wrong way. You need to hit the pitman arm where it connects to the shaft in a horizontal fashion. It seems counter intuitive but it works.

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #14
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This has always worked for me.
Put the puller on as tight as you dare.
Put a long pipe on top of the pitman arm, as close to the puller as you can get, long enough that it sticks out through the hood.
Smack it a few times.
Tighten the puller up some more.
Tap the pipe some more.
It works even better if you have someone hitting the pipe while you are tightening the pitman arm.
We have used this method to get Waggy pitman arms off that have been on there 30 plus years.
Works everytime.
You should also leave the nut on there a few turns. That way it does not hit you when it comes off.
Unread 04-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #15
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

not to hi-jack but, my pitman arm needs to be removed so I can install the dropped arm that came with my lift...I don't have the correct size socket, anybody know what size the nut is?

I don't really want to use my big pipe wrench on it
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.