Pilot Bearings 101 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Pilot Bearings 101

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Reply
Unread 01-27-2008, 10:46 PM   #1
Opihi59
from here it gets rough
 
Opihi59's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Beyond Honolulu
Posts: 4,164
Pilot Bearings 101

I have never been able to keep up with all the "special" tools I need for most of the stuff I do so have been fabricating what I need as the situation arises. So making a useful pilot bearing puller can be a simple task. The snout of the AX15 is large enough you can use a flange bolt, choose one as large as you can find that will fit in the pilot bearing, one with clean smooth threads such as this. next thing to do is find a handy hefty steel bar with a hole drilled in it that will fit the bolt, and span across the flywheel, then you put the bolt in the pilot bearing, head first, thread the nut on it such as this shot: then you tighten up the nut and it pulls out the pilot bearing. Photo of the "pull" in progress with pilot halfway out, you can see at this point I added in 2 of the flywheel bolts to provide some standoff: This next image shows the pilot bearing pulled, on the backside of the puller metal plate. Note that I added in a nut inside the bore of the pilot bearing ID to wedge the flange bolt against one side to keep it from popping loose during the pull: It only took a few minutes to find the stuff I needed laying around and then about 10 minutes to set it up and pull the pilot bearing. I'm not sophisticated enough to have a real pilot bearing puller. Hopefully this will help someone fabricate a ghetto style pilot bearing puller, I have made several others but the snout on the AX 15 is so large it is easy to do with just a flange bolt. I will submit another string on driving in a new pilot bearing as I messed up the first one........

Edit--here it is-- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/p...lation-513450/

__________________
....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.

Last edited by Opihi59; 05-16-2010 at 12:26 AM..
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 11:19 PM   #2
oldballz
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Farmington, New Mexico
Posts: 334
I like this! This is K.I.S.S. in it's purest form!!!
__________________
[SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/viair-oba-install-my-way-1276968/"]MY VIAIR OBA INSTALL [/URL][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/2011-rubicon-unlimited-suspension-1282519/"]ONE MAN'S JUNK IS ANOTHER MAN'S TREASURE. PARTS FOR SALE HERE[/URL][/SIZE]
oldballz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 11:32 PM   #3
Jeeples
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: forum/f310/, UT
Posts: 4,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59
I have never been able to keep up with all the "special" tools I need for most of the stuff I do so have been fabricating what I need as the situation arises. So making a useful pilot bearing puller can be a simple task. The snout of the AX15 is large enough you can use a flange bolt, choose one as large as you can find that will fit in the pilot bearing, one with clean smooth threads such as this. next thing to do is find a handy hefty steel bar with a hole drilled in it that will fit the bolt, and span across the flywheel, then you put the bolt in the pilot bearing, head first, thread the nut on it such as this shot: then you tighten up the nut and it pulls out the pilot bearing. Photo of the "pull" in progress with pilot halfway out, you can see at this point I added in 2 of the flywheel bolts to provide some standoff: This next image shows the pilot bearing pulled, on the backside of the puller metal plate. Note that I added in a nut inside the bore of the pilot bearing ID to wedge the flange bolt against one side to keep it from popping loose during the pull: It only took a few minutes to find the stuff I needed laying around and then about 10 minutes to set it up and pull the pilot bearing. I'm not sophisticated enough to have a real pilot bearing puller. Hopefully this will help someone fabricate a ghetto style pilot bearing puller, I have made several others but the snout on the AX 15 is so large it is easy to do with just a flange bolt. I will submit another string on driving in a new pilot bearing as I messed up the first one........

Click Free
__________________
His: '00 WJ 4.7 Limited- stock

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 11:41 PM   #4
oldballz
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Farmington, New Mexico
Posts: 334
OK...I just tried that and all I got was red X's! What's with that?
__________________
[SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/viair-oba-install-my-way-1276968/"]MY VIAIR OBA INSTALL [/URL][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/2011-rubicon-unlimited-suspension-1282519/"]ONE MAN'S JUNK IS ANOTHER MAN'S TREASURE. PARTS FOR SALE HERE[/URL][/SIZE]
oldballz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 11:48 PM   #5
Jeeples
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: forum/f310/, UT
Posts: 4,841
Only us super secret internet ninjas with no life can click free things...















Ok, actually when he posted the pic links he used the [url]-----[/ url] tags instead of the [img]------[/img] tags.
__________________
His: '00 WJ 4.7 Limited- stock

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 01:56 AM   #6
timatoe
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grass Valley California
Posts: 13,813
I liked the secret ninja explanation myself.

OP, good little write up there.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 09:58 AM   #7
tuckinauster
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oshkosh, WI
Posts: 1,491
good write up, usually i do the grease trick. the last one i did got cut out with a sawzall... that was fun...
__________________
Sniper Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. O'rouke
"The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Itís a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."
tuckinauster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #8
Opihi59
from here it gets rough
 
Opihi59's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Beyond Honolulu
Posts: 4,164
All--if the images didn't work, please let me know how to improve. I use photobucket, should I be using the img tags instead of the url tags for this forum? Without photos, it isn't very helpful to the forum. I will re-post the images tonite, the firewalls at work will not allow me to access photobucket.
__________________
....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 08:00 PM   #9
Jeeples
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: forum/f310/, UT
Posts: 4,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59
All--if the images didn't work, please let me know how to improve. I use photobucket, should I be using the img tags instead of the url tags for this forum? Without photos, it isn't very helpful to the forum. I will re-post the images tonite, the firewalls at work will not allow me to access photobucket.

The short answer is yes, use the IMG tags for this forum.


However at this point in time the pictures you post will still not show up, you have be a member for at least 30 days AND have at LEAST 50 posts.


For now, I wouldn't worry about it.
__________________
His: '00 WJ 4.7 Limited- stock

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 08:14 PM   #10
Opihi59
from here it gets rough
 
Opihi59's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Beyond Honolulu
Posts: 4,164
Thank you, I will do my best to use IMG tags, hopefully can figure that out. (I'm not smart but I can lift heavy things....) Computers haven't been my forte.
__________________
....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
boaty1
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: cedar rapids iowa
Posts: 251
or you can fill it up with grease and stick a snug bolt or somethin in there, and give a couple blows with a hammer and the bearing will pop right out
__________________
And I thought my other hobbies were expensive!

http://www.mousebreaker.com/games/funkytruck/play.php

90 yj, new reman 4.2 ax15, weber 32/36, 2 1/2" RC lift, discos, 1" boom shackles, tcase drop (I HAD TOO). homemade flares.
boaty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 08:28 PM   #12
swedishdwarf
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Slouching toward Bethlehem
Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by boaty1
or you can fill it up with grease and stick a snug bolt or somethin in there, and give a couple blows with a hammer and the bearing will pop right out
I've tried that a few times; all I ever made was a mess.
__________________
You can't teach an old dogma new tricks.
swedishdwarf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 12:51 AM   #13
Opihi59
from here it gets rough
 
Opihi59's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Beyond Honolulu
Posts: 4,164
I have heard about the fill with grease and hammer in a snug fitting dowel to force out the pilot bearing with hydraulic pressure. I've never had the fortitude to try this though. Somehow it would seem a rather spectacular event, and in my case, would likely result in grease everywhere. It must be a viable alternative though, as I have read about it many times, just never tried it. Now maybe a tiny wad of semtex or C4, hmmmmmmm.
__________________
....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 01:12 AM   #14
swedishdwarf
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Slouching toward Bethlehem
Posts: 635


This little beauty looks like just the thing, if you want to go the grease/hydraulic route. I've had one in my toolbox for five years and never used it. You just screw it into the pilot bushing, hit the zerk fitting with your grease gun and wait for the pilot to fall out.
__________________
You can't teach an old dogma new tricks.
swedishdwarf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 01:53 AM   #15
oldballz
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Farmington, New Mexico
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59
I have heard about the fill with grease and hammer in a snug fitting dowel to force out the pilot bearing with hydraulic pressure. I've never had the fortitude to try this though. Somehow it would seem a rather spectacular event, and in my case, would likely result in grease everywhere. It must be a viable alternative though, as I have read about it many times, just never tried it. Now maybe a tiny wad of semtex or C4, hmmmmmmm.
HAHAHA!!! insert tiny wad of c4, light it on fire and have the undesireable neighbor hit it with a punch and hammer. Famous quote: "sure it's safe!"
__________________
[SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/viair-oba-install-my-way-1276968/"]MY VIAIR OBA INSTALL [/URL][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/2011-rubicon-unlimited-suspension-1282519/"]ONE MAN'S JUNK IS ANOTHER MAN'S TREASURE. PARTS FOR SALE HERE[/URL][/SIZE]
oldballz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.