Pilot bearing installation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Pilot bearing installation

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-28-2008, 07:43 PM   #1
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Pilot bearing installation

I suppose enough people have seen my homemade pilot bearing puller, submitted yesterday.
I ran into problems on the bearing install. While the FSM makes a point about installing the new pilot bearing "Bearing seal must face transmission" in ALLCAPS and bolt print, I could not discern any difference between either end of my new pilot bearing. This apparently was a practical demonstration of the 50-50-80 rule which reads if there is only 2 ways to do something, then 80 percent of the time you will chose the wrong solution. I put mine in backwards, it would no longer turn when I checked it so there was another last minute dash to the parts store but they had one for $8. Turns out the new new one was not as long as the first new one, but I had the chance to compare them critically and noted that one end of the bearing race is sturdier/thicker and more flat. This would be the side to tap against. The end which goes into the end of the crank is rounded slightly, and is comparatively much thinner. So of course, I had chosen the wrong end. 50-50-80..... Another tip would be the part number is engraved on the face of the thicker end. If logic applies to automotive mechanics, it would make sense to be able to read a part number when the part is still installed. Photographs here for your comparison, In this photo, the THICK ends are shown, the shorter bearing has a beefier appearing "hit here with bearing driver" end: In the next photograph, the more fragile ends are shown, they are installed facing the engine:
I have installed at least a dozen or more pilot bearings in the last few years alone, but have never encountered this problem. This may of course be intuitive to many of the forum's experts, but hopefully this will help someone at some point from destroying the last spare pilot bearing available within 3000 miles, or on a Saturday evening of a 3 day weekend after the stores are closed up.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.

Last edited by Opihi59; 05-16-2010 at 12:19 PM..
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 07:53 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59
I suppose enough people have seen my homemade pilot bearing puller, submitted yesterday.
I ran into problems on the bearing install. While the FSM makes a point about installing the new pilot bearing "Bearing seal must face transmission" in ALLCAPS and bolt print, I could not discern any difference between either end of my new pilot bearing. This apparently was a practical demonstration of the 50-50-80 rule which reads if there is only 2 ways to do something, then 80 percent of the time you will chose the wrong solution. I put mine in backwards, it would no longer turn when I checked it so there was another last minute dash to the parts store but they had one for $8. Turns out the new new one was not as long as the first new one, but I had the chance to compare them critically and noted that one end of the bearing race is sturdier/thicker and more flat. This would be the side to tap against. The end which goes into the end of the crank is rounded slightly, and is comparatively much thinner. So of course, I had chosen the wrong end. 50-50-80..... Another tip would be the part number is engraved on the face of the thicker end. If logic applies to automotive mechanics, it would make sense to be able to read a part number when the part is still installed. Photographs here for your comparison, In this photo, the THICK ends are shown, the shorter bearing has a beefier appearing "hit here with bearing driver" end: In the next photograph, the more fragile ends are shown, they are installed facing the engine: IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c315/Opihi59/DSCN2943.jpg[/IMG]
I have installed at least a dozen or more pilot bearings in the last few years alone, but have never encountered this problem. This may of course be intuitive to many of the forum's experts, but hopefully this will help someone at some point from destroying the last spare pilot bearing available within 3000 miles, or on a Saturday evening of a 3 day weekend after the stores are closed up.
No Clicky
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 08:03 PM   #3
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

That';s great info.

On the last two I did they were solid-ish, made of some oil impregated allow with no moving parts. Seem to hold up well, and no "which side first" issue.

Wonder which one is superior in lasting longer... I've always been a fan of the style you posted.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 08:23 PM   #4
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like second photo link didn't work, will send photo number 2 once more:

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.

Last edited by Opihi59; 05-16-2010 at 12:20 PM..
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 08:25 PM   #5
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59
Looks like second photo link didn't work, will send photo number 2 once more:
Lets try....
Unread 01-28-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
doug_1994
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond 88 YJ
On the last two I did they were solid-ish, made of some oil impregated allow with no moving parts.
Same here, but mine is a conversion unit.

I kinda like this better for the reason its simpler...well it sounds good in my head anyways.
pilot-bushing.jpg

Plato
doug_1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 09:28 PM   #7
swedishdwarf
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The bronze bushings last longer. You're not supposed to put anything on them, but I find a little ATF makes it easier to get the trans back in.
Unread 01-29-2008, 12:58 AM   #8
oldballz
2011 JK Wrangler 

Im puttin' this one in the mental bank for later on down the road. Great stuff.

[SIZE="3"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/2011-rubicon-unlimited-suspension-1282519/"]ONE MAN'S JUNK IS ANOTHER MAN'S TREASURE. PARTS FOR SALE HERE[/URL][/SIZE]
oldballz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 04:08 AM   #9
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I found that the pilot bearings bought from a dealership have the seal, whereas third-party ones don't.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.