Peugeot BA10/5 Transmission - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 03-17-2017, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Mediceagle
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Peugeot BA10/5 Transmission

I am trying to understand how everyone suggests to swap out the BA10/5 on the 87/88 YJ's.

I keeping reading the quote below:

The Jeep BA10/5 was found against the AMC 258 I6 in the YJ Jeep and behind the 4.0L in the XJ / MJ. It has a unique front bolt pattern that is not a match to any other Jeep bellhousing or transmission.

how can it be swapped out if there is no compatible swap. The Novack guide wants you to change the motor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-17-2017, 09:23 PM
BPritchard95
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You get an AX15, AX15 bellhousing, and mate that to the engine. The engines have a very common mounting pattern, it's where the bellhousing mounts to the transmission that creates problems.

So, you remedy this by getting a new bellhousing and a new transmission that work together but can still bolt up to the 4.0/4.2 engines.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-18-2017, 08:33 AM
gotswap
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I can see how that quote could be misleading. The AX15 with bell housing is a DIRECT bolt on with 0 mods. You will at the very least need a new pilot bushing if you stay internal slave.

post #4 of 20 Old 03-18-2017, 01:13 PM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, what they said. And the Novak site can be misleading in a lot of ways. In my opinion it is hard to follow their products, probably because they have such a wide range of adaptions between motors and trannys. They have everything you need to swap a BA10/5 to an AX15 or NV3500, but they don't have a one part number kit that you can order to do it. Call them to discuss.

If you are interested in doing the swap, you might learn more about what it takes from the Advanced Adapters site. They do have a one part number kit that explains it well.

Of course there is the FAQ right here on JF too.

Bill
Dodge did not build my Jeep.
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2.5" lift + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #5 of 20 Old 03-18-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Mediceagle
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
Yeah, what they said. And the Novak site can be misleading in a lot of ways. In my opinion it is hard to follow their products, probably because they have such a wide range of adaptions between motors and trannys. They have everything you need to swap a BA10/5 to an AX15 or NV3500, but they don't have a one part number kit that you can order to do it. Call them to discuss.

If you are interested in doing the swap, you might learn more about what it takes from the Advanced Adapters site. They do have a one part number kit that explains it well.

Of course there is the FAQ right here on JF too.
Thanks. All of you that helps. I guess I don't think of the bell housing as separate from the tranny. My current configuration is holding strong but when it fails I will upgrade for sure.

Thank you.
post #6 of 20 Old 03-19-2017, 07:21 PM
esterelyj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You'll need to get an AX15 complete with bell housing and 231 transfer case all intact. I'm pretty sure your current t case won't work.

Canada is awesome
post #7 of 20 Old 03-19-2017, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Mediceagle
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esterelyj View Post
You'll need to get an AX15 complete with bell housing and 231 transfer case all intact. I'm pretty sure your current t case won't work.
I currently have a 231. Came with it.
post #8 of 20 Old 03-19-2017, 09:23 PM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esterelyj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediceagle View Post
I currently have a 231. Came with it.
Yeah, and it will work. But you will have to change the input shaft/gear. Because the Peugeot has a 21 spline output, and the AX15 has a 23 output. That input shaft/gear will run you around $150. Some guys prefer to just look around for another TC, but you can still have an issue, because there are two different lengths of the shaft/gear with 23 splines. Not to mention early and late cut versions of the planetary set. So do your homework and choose your poison.

I'm in the middle of all this myself, so it's fresh on my mind.

Bill
Dodge did not build my Jeep.
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2.5" lift + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-20-2017, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Mediceagle
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:

Thanks. That explains a lot. I keep reading how bad my transmission is but other than replacing a clutch I have had no issues. Could be the low mileage (64k). But being ready is always good.
post #10 of 20 Old 03-20-2017, 11:23 AM
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Mine has 164k miles and is still going strong. However, it's pretty much a daily driver with very little off roading so it's not getting stressed much. I have an ax15 that needs rebuilt but I'm just waiting for the Peugeot to die.

post #11 of 20 Old 03-20-2017, 11:24 AM
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

You also need a shift bracket for the transfer case. The Peugeot one is different.

post #12 of 20 Old 03-20-2017, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Mediceagle
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketboy View Post
I have an ax15 that needs rebuilt but I'm just waiting for the Peugeot to die.
Sounds smart. Kinda what I was thinking. I will run across a good transmission and transfer case and just collect it for future need.
post #13 of 20 Old 03-21-2017, 12:27 AM
Theman1945

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Yeah, and it will work. But you will have to change the input shaft/gear. Because the Peugeot has a 21 spline output, and the AX15 has a 23 output. That input shaft/gear will run you around $150. Some guys prefer to just look around for another TC, but you can still have an issue, because there are two different lengths of the shaft/gear with 23 splines. Not to mention early and late cut versions of the planetary set. So do your homework and choose your poison.

Something I haven't heard stated before that saved me a lot of headache while swapping:

I picked up an AX15 from a 1999 Cherokee, which had a tcase with it but the case was busted open. I swapped it into a 1988 YJ which had the BA-10/5. Thankfully I was able to still salvage an output shaft, however the differing gear cuts worried me. What i learned is that a newer cut input shaft (1999) will work with an older cut orbital set (1988) , but not vice versa. The orbital gears must match the gear cut in the outer gear attached to the case.

I already know what someone out there is thinking in regards to mixmatching gear cuts... Is it the most correct thing to do? definitely not. Have I had any problems? Nope. It's a daily driver and taken offroad often. I had to take apart the tcase a year later to replace the chain and inspected the gears; both look perfectly fine.

In addition, if you're swapping in a cherokee ax15, you'll need to clock the bolt hole pattern on the tail housing in order to make it fit. If you don't, the tcase will want to go through your skid plate.

1988 YJ OKSJC
post #14 of 20 Old 08-06-2017, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Mediceagle
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
knock on wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediceagle View Post
Thanks. That explains a lot. I keep reading how bad my transmission is but other than replacing a clutch I have had no issues. Could be the low mileage (64k). But being ready is always good.
Well my BA10 seized up and ruined a trip. I am in the parts gathering phase of putting the AX-15 in to my 87. I have been weighing my options.

1. Crate kit remanufactured with bell housing trans and TC $2,000
2. Crate kit junkyard with bell housing trans and TC $1,200
3. buy a donor jeep $2,100
4. trusted trans with bell housing $650 plus advance adapters
kit without bell housing and shifter, no TC $1,100

1. The remanufactured kit will take to long and takes some of the fun out of working on the jeep.
2. The junkyard kit is a unknown
3. The donor Jeep has a bonus of being a gift that keeps on giving.
4. The last option seems the best as long as I didn't damage my TC (231) when I killed my Transmission.
post #15 of 20 Old 08-06-2017, 11:22 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Reman.

"takes the fun from working on the Jeep"
Don't worry, other things will break for you to work on.

"Ruined a trip"

That's why everything that goes into one of our Jeeps is either reman or new except for cosmetic parts or parts no longer available.

How nice would it be to [except for oil changes] never touch the trans of transfer case for the next 20 years?

"Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built."
Henry Ford

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.