Performance ignition coils? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Performance ignition coils?

JKS Flex Connect in Actions!CCOR is Hiring! Athens, GA!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-21-2015, 03:42 AM   #1
Drednot
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Performance ignition coils?

Buddy of mine asked my opinion about high performance coils he's seen recently.
I have not tried any of them but got to looking at some and was wondering if they were any good.

My usual reaction would be to use a mopar replacement but I figured I would see if anyone has any experience with any of these...

They are all around the $45-55 mark.

_57.jpg   55.jpg  
_12.jpg

Drednot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2015, 05:16 AM   #2
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

More juice is always good.
Standard coils are built good enough and cheap.
So if all you want is good enough and cheap then stay stock. If you want to spend a little more and get a little more then go with the upgrade coil.
Don't expect to all of a sudden get neck snapping acceleration, in fact you might need an emissions test to actually see any difference between coils.
That said I had an accel super coil in my mustang and upgraded to an HEI system in my current YJ. I believe there is enough diference to make it worth the extra $$
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2015, 07:25 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/en...ing-true-lies/

That being said, the coil, wires and gapping a plug wider will give you a hotter spark to fire a cylinder with a little oil leak or a worn injector.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2015, 08:28 AM   #4
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I had an accell in mine years ago and found them to be very unreliable. I went through 3 of them in 2 years and then switched back to oem coil.
Unread 05-21-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Can type or like the one pictured above?

My Accel was the big fluted can type and it lasted through years of abuse, high underhood temps and frequent steam cleaning (I had a steam genny at work so why not use it )
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2015, 01:46 PM   #6
ghetdjc320
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I currently have the accel and it has worked fine for the last 3 years. Stock system is pretty good but I was building the motor from the ground up so I just went with the accel.
Unread 05-21-2015, 03:09 PM   #7
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Can type or like the one pictured above?

My Accel was the big fluted can type and it lasted through years of abuse, high underhood temps and frequent steam cleaning (I had a steam genny at work so why not use it )
Direct replacement for a 4.0 like in the picture.
Unread 05-21-2015, 03:28 PM   #8
Alabamaranger
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I use a MSD box. Use the factory box as a stanby. Use a Ford HEI Coil. You can get the coil for about $5 at the junk yard.

Unread 05-21-2015, 08:48 PM   #9
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've been running the msd coil on my stroker for 5 years now. Not a single issue yet, a good many of my buddies have had their stock coils die n then leaving them stuck in the middle of no where n I've had to bring them a replacement. I'm plenty satisfied w the msd one.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2015, 06:03 AM   #10
ZombiePopper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've ran many on all sorts of apps,
I'm currently running an Accel Super Stock unit.
While they provide a hotter spark, another advantage is how they're "potted".
For lots of off road use you can go with an epoxy potted coil over an oil filled unit.
Nothing wrong with the oil filled units, but in some cases heat + high vibes can lead to the coil swelling from oil expansion and killing your spark until the coil cools back down, but this typically is the canister units...
The issue with modern coils (stock/aftermarket) is they are extremely prone to failure when shorts occur.
Unread 05-22-2015, 10:00 AM   #11
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have a MSD street fire coil. So far no issues. My gaps are set at .05 but i also run a 6a box. Ive had no issue with the coil. I didnt realize my carb was really rich until I found my plugs were completely sooted. Still had no driving issues.
http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...reet_Fire.aspx
88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
jimbos76cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2015, 10:04 AM   #12
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
jimbos76cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2015, 03:14 PM   #13
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm running the CRT coil and have no complaints.
cyoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.