performance engine upgrades for i4? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > performance engine upgrades for i4?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
njyj609
1989 YJ Wrangler 

performance engine upgrades for i4?

Although I'm generally satisfied with the performance of my 4cyl, I would like a bit more. I have found that there is a lack of performance upgrades for this little motor( coil, headers, Cams etc). I've asked my buddies& most say " why bother, just stick in a 6cyl".... but I'd have to swap out the tranny too..... (not in the budget)..... any ideas to get what I can out of the i4?..... it's mostly a DD but I do go play in the mud every chance I get.... re-gear for more speed less torq an option?

njyj609 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
cstone94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by njyj609 View Post
Although I'm generally satisfied with the performance of my 4cyl, I would like a bit more. I have found that there is a lack of performance upgrades for this little motor( coil, headers, Cams etc). I've asked my buddies& most say " why bother, just stick in a 6cyl".... but I'd have to swap out the tranny too..... (not in the budget)..... any ideas to get what I can out of the i4?..... it's mostly a DD but I do go play in the mud every chance I get.... re-gear for more speed less torq an option?
Honestly, your friends are right. The money you spend on rehearing, this includes both front and rear, ~$400, Intake, Cam, etc... You're better off "budget" wise to swap in a 4.0L.

11' F250 - DD

1982 Toyota Pick-Up - Spray-On Yellow Rhino Lined - Chevrolet 305 H.O. - SM465 - NP208C - All-Pro Off Road 5" Springs - 35x15.50x15 Super Swampers
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 01:20 AM   #3
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Relocate the IAT and the crank sensor. I`ve covered both in past posts.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:55 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The older 2.5L like ours is a little more difficult to modify cheap because of the throttle body injection. Rad fan, regear, + Jsawduste recommendations.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Relocate the IAT and the crank sensor. I`ve covered both in past posts.
Good thinking. You got me interested and so I just did a search and came up with some old threads that your pics were no longer working. Good info though

I did read that you can use a TJs without relocating it to the airbox and it will trick the computer to thinking its 60* colder than what it really is. Dont know exactly how true that is but seems easier than relocating it
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
Fuddmaster
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by njyj609
The bigger throttle body helps, from a 4.0l. I've heard bigger injectors but never looked into it
Fuddmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
njyj609
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks all... I will search your earlier threads jsawduste...... que89yj; Radfan? As in radiator fan? Would you mind explaining what you are suggesting? & I will do some research on the throttlebody, that sounds like a great idea.
Unread 03-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yes he is talking about the radiator fan.

An electric fan from a Ford Taurus is enough to keep the Jeep cool. It will free up the power that the big clutch fan on the front of your engine uses. You can also wire it to turn on and off when you want it to, so you can switch it off before a water crossing or flip it on before a big mountain pass to keep it cool.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/e...rk-vii-506679/

*I have not done this swap*
Unread 03-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Can't do the throttle body on our 2.5 only the 91 mpfi and later.
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

There are performance kits available for the 2.5 but are kind of pricey. They claim 45% more HP and 55% more torque for @ $1700.00

I'm surprised Summit Racing doesn't sell cams or pistons for this motor.

http://www.shop.505performance.com/c...?categoryId=40
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #11
njyj609
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I see... I just went through older posts and I think I get it..... the electric fan, tbi swap & sensor relocation seem to be agreed on as the only meaningful mods for the 4 cyl . The little torqmonster just doesn't have the horses to give.... & que89yj; very disapointed that I can't do the tbiswap ..... I must admit tho, I have a nice dodge ram & still take the Jeep instead.... ha..... thanks to you all!
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #12
njyj609
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I can't believe a performance coil isn't available tho...... really?
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #13
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

4 bangerjp.com and read.
You have tbi you can't swap the tb.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.