Performance Carb compatibility for 89 yj TBI... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Performance Carb compatibility for 89 yj TBI...

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeSanta Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 05-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
wrangleryj89jp
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Performance Carb compatibility for 89 yj TBI...

I was wondering what is the best option for a performance carburetor for my 89 yj? And where would I be able to find one that fits my jeep wrangler yj?

I have a 2.5Liter I4, with everything on it stock. I have decided to make some upgrades on some of the parts to get better performance out of it.

I currently run the stock TBI Unit, which, in my opinion, needs to go.

The problem is, on everything on quadratec and other similar sites out there for Jeeps, all of the carbs are for 6 cylinders. I only see one for four cylinders on quadratec. The model of this is Weber "32/36 DGEV Carburetor"...

Here is the link to it:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/51312_55_07.htm

It says it is for 87-88 yj wranglers with 151 c.i. engines... To my knowledge, the 87 and 88 are near the same as 1989 yj's. How come it marks it on quadratec as non compatible with 89 yj's then?

I could see compared to 91 through 1995 models?

wrangleryj89jp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

are the older ones fuel injected also? that might be why, if they are carb'd and yours is stock fuelie.

the 32/36 is a great carb for an inline 4. i ran one on my bmw 2.5 and took of the fuel injection and it was a world of improvement. gas mileage and power increased noticeably
Unread 05-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

You will need an ignition system, including distributor if you ditch the FI.

Not worth the hassle. Just drop a 4.0 in and you will have more power than you could ever get from the 4 popper, and will be all stock jeep parts.
Unread 05-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
wrangleryj89jp
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So, i'm not yet too familiar with jeeps since this is my first one... the stock TBI on an 89 yj, is that considered a carb or fuel injector? I know it might be a dumb question but I am a little confused because I have heard its kinda like an inbetween or something..
wrangleryj89jp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
hazaelnolasco
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, here is a personal experience of mine, I have a 90 wrangler, same of yours, decided to swap to carb because of all the wire, induction problems, etc. searching for the Carb I found 2 possibilities, Weber 32/36 or Toyota 22r stock carb, after researching a lot, I found out that 32/36 makes a little bit more fuel economy than 22r carb, but this comes with a price "Power". 32/36 delivers a fuel mix of 300 cfm to the engine, while 22r carb delivers 326 cfm. Anymay, I almost decided to go through 32/36 but I found a new (slightly used) 22r carb for 100 bucks, )weber cost me more than 200... So I started with the conversion, swaped the coil for an electric 22r one, fuel pump was still electrical, but with a flow return tube from the carb, manifold was adapted in a workshop, after all this I started running the engine, with a much better mpg (20-21) depending on how i drive, and anly had to give maintenance to it after 10,000 km, which was clarb cleaning process. One friend of mine has a 32/36 on his , and the power difference is very noticeable, I trully recomend this swap for all those pre 91 4 bangers
hazaelnolasco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

OP has a fuel injected 4 banger, not a 4.2 AMC 6 banger.

No carburetor on that 4 cyl, it is a throttle body injector, computer controlled.
Unread 05-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
hazaelnolasco
1990 YJ Wrangler 

until 90, wrangler came with the TBI computer controlled injection, which is "carblike" throttle body connected to the manifold of the car. its not individual per cylinder as the post 90 ones.
hazaelnolasco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.