Performance camshaft install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Performance camshaft install

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 01-23-2006, 05:16 PM   #1
jeepboy21

Performance camshaft install

I have had the cam sitting in the garage for about 8 months now and i cant wait, i want it in. I have a crappy hanyes manual that doesnt help so i am looking for a good writeup. also any tips, tricks or things i need to watch our for would be greatly appreciated.

93 YJ 2.5L 5 spd,D35 lockrite,D30 powertrax,4.0L TB,4.0L TB Spacer, Warrior Products rear bumper,Bigrocks offroad front stinger bumper,2.5" ghetto lift,skyjacker hydro's,arb snorkle,31x11.5 super swamper truxus A/T STS on cragar soft 8s,31x10.5 wildcat ext studded on ar 767,hella 500's 1 set fog and 1 set driving,sway bar disco's, extended brake lines,yellow top,CB, body damage to prove I wheel.
jeepboy21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2006, 05:50 PM   #2
myjeepsux420

Do you only have the cam, or did it come with lifters, push rods and rockers? You know that you have to remove the head, front timing cover and well as the radiator and front grill. You might want to pull the entire engine and have new cam bearings installed. Really depends on how many miles you have on the engine.
Posi Lock front diff and Ford 8.8
myjeepsux420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2006, 06:10 PM   #3
jipjip

you dont necessarily need to pull the engine out to replace the cam bearings. remember! yj's front grilles and radiators come right out easily, and give you access to the entire front of the engine, making cam bearing removal a cinch.
you dont need to remove the head either. just the front timing cover, timing chain, and cam/crank sprockets. just make sure the timing chain is lined up properly after the install. it would be a bad thing to bend a bunch of valves after all that work
he's right about pushrods,lifters,and rockers too. if your replacing the cam, you should rid yourself of those tires lifters, worn pushrods and rockers, for some new ones, possibly w/ a roller setup for less friction,and higher revving capabilities. might as well while your in there
95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
jipjip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2006, 10:26 PM   #4
Christopher_2

Did you put it in yet? Did you notice a difference in performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepboy21
I have had the cam sitting in the garage for about 8 months now and i cant wait, i want it in. I have a crappy hanyes manual that doesnt help so i am looking for a good writeup. also any tips, tricks or things i need to watch our for would be greatly appreciated.
Christopher_2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2006, 09:15 AM   #5
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The cam bearings are not going to be in any worse condition than the bottom end of the motor. If theres that much wear put it back together and gather parts for a rebuild and build a spare 2.5 to swap in later. That cam probably cost half of what a basic rebuild kit costs for that motor.

Check that the push rods are true and clear, if so you can use them again. but they shouldnt be too expensive and its not a bad idea to replace them. The cam should have come with new lifters. If not you must replace them with new ones. As for new rockers, you dont "have" to replace them, but you will not get the full lift of your cam with the worn rockers. And im assuming this is common sense but no ones said it. Always put on a new timing chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2006, 04:35 PM   #6
myjeepsux420

If you remove the cam with the lifters still in, won't they fall in the way of the cam when your trying to re-install?
Unread 01-24-2006, 05:10 PM   #7
jipjip

Quote:
The cam bearings are not going to be in any worse condition than the bottom end of the motor. If theres that much wear put it back together and gather parts for a rebuild and build a spare 2.5 to swap in later. That cam probably cost half of what a basic rebuild kit costs for that motor.
not true. if he's gonna replace the camshaft w/ a new one, the clearances HAVE to be perfect, or the new cam wont last 5mins. if the bearings are work (which they usually are), this will cause excessive clearance, but the stock cam shaft has worn too, and it wares w/ the bearings. a new camshaft is going to have different clearances to the stock piece, and it's not even broken in yet. when a new camshaft goes into the engine, you have to perform a 'break in procedure' which consists of starting the engine, and holding it at 2,000rpm for 10mins straight. this period decides if the cam lives or dies... w/ the old set of bearings, the oil doesnt feed the camshaft properly, and during this procedure, will damage the cam lobes beyond repair.
do yourself a favor, and get new bearings.
95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
Unread 01-24-2006, 05:46 PM   #8
myjeepsux420

Pull the engine, install new cam bearings, lifters, push rods and rockers. You might as well rebuild the entire engine while your at it.
Unread 01-24-2006, 06:53 PM   #9
Yule16MET

Anybody have links to engine rebiuld kits/camshafts? For a 4.2?
1990 YJ lerado,Soa,2.5R.E.springs,8.8,4.88'sPSC trail cage&rocker nockers w/sliderbars,home made bumpers, 35"boggers,sye, tomwoodsds, revolvers, red & yellow optima, bushwackers,corbeua ss seats,mc2100,juicebox, 3core rad., b&mshifter and highlift,5point harnesses,wheel spacers,9000lb mile marker,ssdash kit,no sway bar, no trackbar, walmart lights,clinometer, XJ passenger shaft, axle tube seals, M.O.R.E track bar

And a Monster Yellow CJ5
40x17's 12"lift full cage
Blackjeepclub #16
Armyjeepclub #16-#1
yellowjeepclub #BIG16
Yule16MET is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2006, 09:46 AM   #10
00Vert

[QUOTE=jipjip]not true. if he's gonna replace the camshaft w/ a new one, the clearances HAVE to be perfect, or the new cam wont last 5mins. if the bearings are work (which they usually are), this will cause excessive clearance (Quote)

This is so NOT true. People swap cams all the time and never have a problem with cam bearing clearance. Cam bearings are a std size and don't vary. If your cam bearings are worn to begin with, this won't help them and they should be replaced. If you don't damage them when you R&R the cam, they will be fine. Even if they were worn, the cam doesn't destroy itself. The cam doesn't even get its oil from the cam bearings, it is splash fed. So many myths out there!
00Vert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2006, 07:06 PM   #11
jipjip

so your telling me that an engine w/ that many miles on is going to have perfectly good bearings i dont think so. what would you rather do, save some money now, and possibly kill the cam within minutes!!!!, or spend the money now and do it the right way. i would hate to see that camshaft die after spending all that money on it
Unread 06-11-2006, 05:58 PM   #12
yj kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipjip
you dont necessarily need to pull the engine out to replace the cam bearings. remember! yj's front grilles and radiators come right out easily, and give you access to the entire front of the engine, making cam bearing removal a cinch.
you dont need to remove the head either. just the front timing cover, timing chain, and cam/crank sprockets. just make sure the timing chain is lined up properly after the install. it would be a bad thing to bend a bunch of valves after all that work
he's right about pushrods,lifters,and rockers too. if your replacing the cam, you should rid yourself of those tires lifters, worn pushrods and rockers, for some new ones, possibly w/ a roller setup for less friction,and higher revving capabilities. might as well while your in there

How do you hold the lifters out of the way when you install the new cam without taking the head off?
yj kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2006, 06:02 PM   #13
yj kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepboy21

Biggest thing when swapping cams is clearances. Check fully compressed springs and make sure the valve stem keepers don't interfere with the guides. And check you're piston to valve clearance.
yj kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.