PCV Valve Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > PCV Valve Problem

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-02-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
adamcarner
1990 YJ Wrangler 

PCV Valve Problem

Hey all,

New to the forum!

I have a classy 1990 Wrangler 4cyl. My PCV valve keeps popping off whilst I drive the beast. The engine runs fine and purrs like a kitten. But it seems like there is too much pressure under there? does that even make sense? How can I prevent that bad boy from popping off, and seeping burnt oil smoke into my cabin, PLEASE HELP!

adamcarner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

remove the valve cover, under the valve cover is a plate that is attached to the underside that gets plugged with crud. Its like a baffle. Also check the elbow for being plugged up.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
adamcarner
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
remove the valve cover, under the valve cover is a plate that is attached to the underside that gets plugged with crud. Its like a baffle. Also check the elbow for being plugged up.
Forgive my ignorance, but "the elbow?" Still new to the jeep world, my friend!
Unread 01-02-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

There should be another port with an elbow in your valve cover that leads to your air cleaner assembly somewhere. This provides filtered air into the engine while the PCV has a vacuum pulled from your intake. Not entirely sure where on the 4 cyl. FI motors. I have a carbed 6 cylinder but the principles are the same. Look closely at your valve cover and there should be two hoses leading away, one is the PCV and one is the CCV. Make sure your PCV is operating by taking it out and shaking it. You should hear the ball inside moving around. The elbow has no ball or any other parts. Just make sure it is clear. The baffle below the PCV keeps oil from being sucked back into the intake but will accumulate crud enough to plug it off. Check tha as well. You might get another valve cover grommet for the PCV and that might help but you may have more serious issues causing pressure enough to pop the PCV out.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcarner View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but "the elbow?" Still new to the jeep world, my friend!
The elbow is just the bend in the valve... its bent like an elbow. Often times the valve gums up and does not function properly. When it does this, the "ball" inside cannot move and the pressure builds up thereby blowing the valve off the valve cover.

BTW, what makes your Jeep a "classy" one??

KCCO
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2014, 07:13 PM   #6
adamcarner
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Oh, I replaced the PCV Valve, it's brandy new! Is this elbow the black plastic bend thats attached to the top of the PCV and goes into the hose? If so, thats brand new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycal3 View Post
BTW, what makes your Jeep a "classy" one??
And that was a bit of sarcasm, hah! It's a cranky, crotchety old jeep
Unread 01-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #7
adamcarner
1990 YJ Wrangler 

SO this is not my engine, but it looks identical, and it's out of a 90 wrangler 2.5L like mine.

So, I'm not versed in jeep engines, so just for clarity, The YELLOW circle is the PCV Valve, which I replaced and is brand new + put in a new valve cover grommet for it too. The BLUE circle is one that I never fiddled with.

The YELLOW is what is popping out under pressure. Is there something I can do to the BLUE one? That seemed okay!

I just wanted to be as clear as possible, as I'm not familiar with terms! bare with me!
Unread 01-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #8
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcarner
SO this is not my engine, but it looks identical, and it's out of a 90 wrangler 2.5L like mine. So, I'm not versed in jeep engines, so just for clarity, The YELLOW circle is the PCV Valve, which I replaced and is brand new + put in a new valve cover grommet for it too. The BLUE circle is one that I never fiddled with. The YELLOW is what is popping out under pressure. Is there something I can do to the BLUE one? That seemed okay! I just wanted to be as clear as possible, as I'm not familiar with terms! bare with me!
I would check the lines that go to/from the PVC for any clogging. You may also have to remove the valve cover and clean out the baffles as mentioned earlier although I am not sure your engine is set up with the same baffles as mine, which has a ccv (it's a straight 6, 4L). You've got some crazy pressure building up under that valve cover.

KCCO
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2014, 05:38 AM   #9
adamcarner
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycal3 View Post
You've got some crazy pressure building up under that valve cover.
I know, It's crazy. It was totally fine last week, this just started happening without warning. I'll see what i can dig up. In the mean time, is there anything else I can check?
Unread 01-03-2014, 07:28 AM   #10
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

you can do a compression check and see if your getting blowby and pressurizing your crankcase...

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2014, 09:43 AM   #11
tchoberg
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Reread this posted by 90DesertTanYJ, especially the underlined part.

Quote:
There should be another port with an elbow in your valve cover that leads to your air cleaner assembly somewhere. This provides filtered air into the engine while the PCV has a vacuum pulled from your intake. Not entirely sure where on the 4 cyl. FI motors. I have a carbed 6 cylinder but the principles are the same. Look closely at your valve cover and there should be two hoses leading away, one is the PCV and one is the CCV. Make sure your PCV is operating by taking it out and shaking it. You should hear the ball inside moving around. The elbow has no ball or any other parts. Just make sure it is clear. The baffle below the PCV keeps oil from being sucked back into the intake but will accumulate crud enough to plug it off. Check tha as well. You might get another valve cover grommet for the PCV and that might help but you may have more serious issues causing pressure enough to pop the PCV out.
I believe your problem lies with your 'blue circled' device which lets the 'filtered air in' which may be plugged allowing pressure to build and pop out the PVC valve.
Unread 01-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #12
adamcarner
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchoberg View Post
Reread this posted by 90DesertTanYJ, especially the underlined part.

I believe your problem lies with your 'blue circled' device which lets the 'filtered air in' which may be plugged allowing pressure to build and pop out the PVC valve.
Oh thanks man! I totally overlooked that post. Ill do a check on that once the snow clears a bit more here, (In New England) Perhaps tomorrow. Ill post what I find!

Thanks again for all the suggestions
Unread 01-17-2014, 12:14 AM   #13
Landslide
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If all the grommets are correct and good, PCV valve is new and is still popping out you got some crazy blow-by, also check to see if oil is coming out of dipstick hole.
Landslide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #14
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check the hoses the pvc and vent tube run to. The hoses get plugged and cause the pressure to build. Check both hoses to make sure they are clear all the way through.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 08:46 AM   #15
adamcarner
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hello again!

So, I honestly think something was maybe half gelled or even slightly frozen that day (Twas Cold) But I just took it for a test run, let 'er warm up and it didn't pop off!! She's purring fine with no oil leaks!

I'll update if anything else happens!

Thanks again for suggestions. I'll check those hoses anyway to clear out any gunk that may be there

Tags
1990 , pcv , pcv valve , wrangler , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.