Passenger side brakelight/turn signal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Passenger side brakelight/turn signal

Flowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country small builder parts in stock!! Awesome price

Unread 12-22-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Passenger side brakelight/turn signal

88 4.2 auto trans

Hey guys, i recently installed a new driver's side tail light, housing and all. The bracket was rusted and the lights were just hanging inside the plastic cover. Replaced with a oem style light, not led.

After the swap i noticed my PASSENGER side tail light was being screwy. With headlights on, the brake light and turn signal werent working. I just went out and fiddled with a few things. Pushed the wire harness under steering column together real good (didnt feel loose) swapped the lights from the driver to passenger side and now its working fine.

My question is, will the problem come back? The harness that i messed with wasn't loose at all. I did replace my battery 2 days ago because it tested bad, and this is the first time i checked on it since then. Did this fix the problem and i just now noticed? My windshield wipers are working sporadically as well, sometimes they freeze up, then they will start working again. Maybe unrelated, but i thought i'd add that bit of info.

Anyway, hopefully the problem with the lights is gone, but any info would help.

Thanks,
Jon.

JeepJon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Double check the ground for your tail lights (the mounting bolts to the tub) bad ground will do some goofy stuff.

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a case of bum connections and grounds. X2 on the tail light housings, they ground thru the tub. Even if the connections feel tight, I would take the time to make em shiny and put all back together. The windshield wiper motor has its own plug-n-harness behind the dash pad - check-n-clean that connector, and anything where metal bolts to metal back there around the motor. Its a high-rust area since water tends to get in around the windshield gasket.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
jdubsjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would check your battery ground cable, that is the ground for the lights and ww motor. since you said you changed batteries always check what you touched last, the battery connections
jdubsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 06:33 AM   #5
wickedoffroad
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ive got similar problems. If i dont touch anything my passenger tail light doesnt work. If I lift up slightly on the turn signal lever it works...Ive learned to lift it when i stop lol
wickedoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedoffroad View Post
Ive got similar problems. If i dont touch anything my passenger tail light doesnt work. If I lift up slightly on the turn signal lever it works...Ive learned to lift it when i stop lol
You might want to try working the 4 ways a few times see if your problem disappears. If not time to replace the turn signal switch.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical , tail light , turn signal , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.