Passenger door latch issue on half door - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Passenger door latch issue on half door

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
Cards89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Passenger door latch issue on half door

I have half steel doors on my 89 YJ. I have the posts for the striker and the crab claw or whatever you call it style latch in the door. For some reason lately the passenger door latch has been real finicky. When I attempt to shut the door, the door latches, but doesn't latch completely tight. Sometimes it won't latch at all. I usually have to just push the door shut slowly and it will latch up completely. The problem with this is when I have someone riding with me, I almost have to let them get in and I shut the door for them.

The latch assembly seems fine. Are there adjustments I can make? Has anyone else had this kind of issue?

Cards89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
Cards89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

bump...........
Unread 03-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
FreemasonJeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just had to deal with door issues too. Pull the plastic inner panel, it should be held on with only some plastic clips. Just pull or pry with a screwdriver or something. Once in there, lube every moving part.

It may also be the post that the door latch hits to close. It might have moved. It's easy to adjust. Get the correct size torx (I forget what size) bit and loosen it, place where it should go and tighten. Add washers under it if need be.

FreemasonJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
Cards89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What is the best thing to lube it all with?
Unread 03-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

White grease, I used the spray and coated the inside of my door mechanism.. I could not believe how easy everything worked after that. That was four years ago and I am still happy with it.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
tr6
1992 YJ Wrangler 

is the door post adjustable?

Is the door post adjustable?
Like in and out not up and down.
Maybe IN to make the door closer a little tighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAndAccepted View Post
I just had to deal with door issues too. Pull the plastic inner panel, it should be held on with only some plastic clips. Just pull or pry with a screwdriver or something. Once in there, lube every moving part.

It may also be the post that the door latch hits to close. It might have moved. It's easy to adjust. Get the correct size torx (I forget what size) bit and loosen it, place where it should go and tighten. Add washers under it if need be.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.