parts swap and removal, 2pt question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > parts swap and removal, 2pt question

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 01-20-2014, 01:09 PM   #1
dodgedad94
1989 YJ Wrangler 

parts swap and removal, 2pt question

Just recently, I did a nutter bypass on my 89YJ. While I was under the hood, most of the unused wires were removed to clean up underneath, with the exception of the nessessary ones for operation (ignition control, dist., brake sensor, lighting, oil pressure). However, there are still a couple of wires going to the ecu. My question is, can the ecu be completely taken out of the vehicle and still be able to run. The secont part of my question, what particular brackets will i need to get to be able to remove the a/c compressor (what alternator brackets, spacers etc)?

Unread 01-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, the ecm can be totally removed. However, it is much easier to take a medic's shears or small cable cutter and just cut the cable as close to the ecm as you can. Then take the cable and pull it through the hole in the firewall. Then follow the wires and cut them off and tape up the ends.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #3
dodgedad94
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok. The ecm is mounted on the passenger side behind the heater box, correct? As it is right now, there are stubs of wires which are sticking out. The remaining ones seem to be grounds of sorts.
Unread 01-21-2014, 11:36 AM   #4
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, it is behind the heater.

Cut the remaining wires. Take the ecm out if you have time on your hands, otherwise just leave it.

You kind of did it the exact backwards of the way that I did. I cut the bunch of wires at the ECM, and then followed them back to the engine, You cut them at the engine and followed them to the ecm.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #5
dodgedad94
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info dancytron. The previous owner had pulled wires from sensors and left them laying all over the engine. Some had even melted to the exhaust manifold causing shorts. Once I read about the nutter, it seemed like a good time to get them out.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.