Which part toggles hi to lo beams? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Which part toggles hi to lo beams?

Spartan Locker 1 day sale This Friday only!Jeep Wrangler Framless, Bowless, Trektops 92-95 YJ, 97-06 Custom Control Arms from Clayton Off Road

Unread 09-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Magnum
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Which part toggles hi to lo beams?

A problem with the dimmer on my 94 YJ:
The headlights are stuck in hi beam. If the lights are on and you pull the lever to change them to low beam, they do not toggle to low. If the lights are off and you pull the lever, the lights flash on hi, like they should. So the lever is moving and the switch is doing something.
So which piece is supposed to mechanically toggle? Is it the dimmer switch under the dash, or is it the multifunction lever on the column?
Thanks --
-- Jim

Hang on! I'm gonna try something I saw in a cartoon one time.
Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Jim, the switch is mounted on the column on my '90, cant say for sure on your 94. Mine has a rod that is actuated by a follower that is depressed by the windshield washer switch pivoting when you pull on the MF lever. I am thinking its not mechanical and more than likely your high beam switch. On my tilt wheel, it uses the same nut and screw as the ignition switch.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
rogerv

1989 YJ Wrangler 

If yours is the same as mine, you have a switch on the top of your steering column. It's activated by a rod that goes from your hi/lo lever down to the switch. I cleaned and lubricated mine when I had my column out- works great now. Use only a cleaner and lube for electrical switches though!

image-928370652.jpg

This is the switch your looking for. 12 o'clock pos on the column, about 8-10" from the firewall. This is before I cleaned it
Unread 09-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
Cuzzzz
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem but my left signal was not staying locked in place and wiper switch was bad. After pricing new switches I decided to go with another steering column instead. Easy install and $100.00 bucks for the whole works .
Cuzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 12:08 AM   #5
Magnum
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I found a late-night parts store that had the dimmer in stock, so I spent the last couple of hours putting it in. Nothing like staying up til 2:00 on a work night. Everyone was right: it was the dimmer that was bad, not the MultiFunction Lever. As 90DesertTanYJ and rogerv described, there is a rod from the MF lever down to the dimmer switch. When you pull the MF lever, the rod extends and pushes the actuator on the dimmer. The dimmer switch SHOULD toggle from hi to lo and lo to hi. Hmmmm... maybe that is why they call it a switch.
The Haynes manual does not say to do this, but I had to loosen the column bolts and drop the column about an inch to get my size XXL hands and fingers in there to remove the nut, the screw, and the dimmer switch. Also, there is something very sharp under the dash - I sliced a finger pretty good.
Anyway, I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. Thanks for the help, everyone!
-- Jim
Hang on! I'm gonna try something I saw in a cartoon one time.
Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dimmer switch , headlight

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.