Parking it for winter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Parking it for winter

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 11-03-2011, 06:42 AM   #1
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Parking it for winter

I am parking the Jeep and dropping the insurance for the winter. It will sit behind the shed on dirt. Do you think it would be worth putting a piece of wood or something under each wheel as a barrier between tires and dirt? I will move it once a month just to keep stuff moving. Just not wanting to mess my new tires up.

Unread 11-03-2011, 06:45 AM   #2
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Better to cover the tires up with a UV blocking tarp or something to block the sun.

UV rays will eat your tires.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

^^^ X2 on UV potection for it - use a tarp. Also according to Hot Rod magazine, its better if you can take the weight off the tires and store it on jack stands under the frame. Let the tires down to like 10 PSI during storage on stands. It tends to prevent cracking.

You might have to change the fluids when you run it again, since there's no way for it to lose the condensation unless its run good and hot for a while. You end up with 3 different kinds of milkshake. The engine might be OK if you start it for an hour and let it idle every week, but the tranny and axles will never warm up enough.

Last edited by oldtime_ironman; 11-03-2011 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: maybe
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
brentd711
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I dropped my (liability only) insurance while I'm rebuilding the Jeep and got a policy change notice that my premium had dropped by $2.
brentd711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
Quail
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman View Post
^^^ X2 on UV potection for it - use a tarp. Also according to Hot Rod magazine, its better if you can take the weight off the tires and store it on jack stands under the frame. Let the tires down to like 10 PSI during storage on stands. It tends to prevent cracking.

You might have to change the fluids when you run it again, since there's no way for it to lose the condensation unless its run good and hot for a while. You end up with 3 different kinds of milkshake. The engine might be OK if you start it for an hour and let it idle every week, but the tranny and axles will never warm up enough.
Exactly, I store my trailers and campers this way and havnt had to buy a tire for any of them in over 15 years. They all look brand new and some of them sit for 2 or 3 years at a time. I just use concrete blocks.

You can get a uv blocker at camper dealers that really works. I know some guys rub thier tires down with vasoline for storage.

There is some talk about filling tires with nitrogen for storage helps as well.

I have started going out and rotating the tires periodicly, For some reason if the tire is allowed to stay in one position for a long time the bottom of the tire gets heavier and if you spin the tire it will return to that position.

Yes crank it and run it once a week, Run the heater! and if you have AC run that too.
Quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Use gas stabilizer in the gas tank. Fill the yank all the way to full and if you are running it refill once in a while.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #7
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Parking it for the winter? It's going to waste by doing that. I can't wait for the snow to start flying.
Unread 11-04-2011, 07:31 AM   #8
LilyBayXJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If it's being parked on the dirt, make sure you park it on a tarp. Not just under the tires, under the whole Jeep. Believe it or not, it makes a huge difference in preventing rust.
1983 CJ-5 - Stock - Sold
TJ Boot Camp
LilyBayXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 07:33 AM   #9
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
Use gas stabilizer in the gas tank. Fill the yank all the way to full and if you are running it refill once in a while.
^^^^ X2 on the gas stabilizer. One popular brand up north here, is "Sta-Bil". I see more people that don't use it, and then they go thru all kinds of crap trying to start up again in the spring. So definitely use it. Just pour a bottle in the tank when you park it. Top it up with fresh gas ASAP after you start driving it again.

Last edited by oldtime_ironman; 11-04-2011 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: sp
Unread 11-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #10
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just drive it and you won't have to mess with all this.
Unread 11-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #11
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998zj View Post
Just drive it and you won't have to mess with all this.
Yeah, I DD mine year round... can't wait for the snow, that's when I pop into 4X4 and start having FUN!!!
Unread 11-05-2011, 07:57 AM   #12
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Full time locker + short wheel base+ ice and low level snow = unexpected donuts. I will be fine in my unlocked Cherokee. Plus it saves me insurance (5 vehicles). I like the tarp idea. If we get a deep snow I will be all over it though!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.