Parking/taillights stuck "on". - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Parking/taillights stuck "on".

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 01-18-2005, 07:49 PM   #1
lordmatt

Parking/taillights stuck "on".

After the last wheeling trip I went on, my parking and tail lights stay on constantly. I can flip the headlight switch on/off and the go on/off, but the parking and tail lights stay on.

I would assume something is grounding out somewhere. I would also assume it's a wire somewhere outside of the cab. Any ideas? I'm not sure where to start exactly...

Cut fenders
Recessed tails
Herc's interior
Fabbed front bumper
misc fun stuff
lordmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2005, 08:41 PM   #2
lordmatt

Pretty sure this means something, but not sure what:

When I pull the Dome fuse, both the tail/parking lights go out. Also, when I turn the dial to brighten or dim the dash lights, it also brightens/dims the parking/tails.
Cut fenders
Recessed tails
Herc's interior
Fabbed front bumper
misc fun stuff
Unread 01-18-2005, 09:18 PM   #3
oct7brian
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What about the sensor/switch down by the pedal. I had the same sort of problem on my S10 and it ended up being a stuck pedal switch.

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 3.7L Auto

1998 TJ 4.0 Auto Sahara Package 4" Suspension Lift 33 BFG Hard & Soft Top
oct7brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2005, 09:20 PM   #4
lordmatt

I thought that's what it was at first, too, but this happens with the parking lights as well as the tail lights. (I had to fix the stuck brake light deal already )
Cut fenders
Recessed tails
Herc's interior
Fabbed front bumper
misc fun stuff
Unread 01-18-2005, 09:32 PM   #5
Lins

sounds like there's some kind of short between the interior and exterior lights. exterior lights are probably grounding through the interior switch, which is why you can dim them. faulty ground for exterior lights, or crossed interior/exterior wires?
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2005, 11:14 PM   #6
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins
sounds like there's some kind of short between the interior and exterior lights. exterior lights are probably grounding through the interior switch, which is why you can dim them. faulty ground for exterior lights, or crossed interior/exterior wires?
close, but looking at the schematic for the 91, my guess is the panel dimmer switch itself has gone bad, or there's a short in its harness. it's a power feed issue i think, not a ground issue. the dimmer is a double pole switch and one side is connected via the dome/courtesy lights to the fuse you pulled which is providing power at all times (lights come on without the key in of course). the other half of the switch is connected to the headlight switch at the same splice as the tail/parking lights. my guess is either those internal terminals have shorted together, or the wires have shorted and are cross feeding current which is powering your tail lights. pull the fuse and see if they still come on with the headlights. if so, then you can just leave the fuse out until you have a chance to change out the switch or hunt down your short.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2005, 08:18 AM   #7
lordmatt

I just pulled the fuse for now. Not like I ever look at the dash at night anyway... I'll just tack it up as another thing that needs fixed.
Cut fenders
Recessed tails
Herc's interior
Fabbed front bumper
misc fun stuff
Unread 01-19-2005, 08:43 AM   #8
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmatt
I just pulled the fuse for now. Not like I ever look at the dash at night anyway... I'll just tack it up as another thing that needs fixed.
The common point in the whole thing is the headlight switch unit. It controls all the lights you are having problems with. I'd replace it.
Unread 01-19-2005, 10:26 AM   #9
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
The common point in the whole thing is the headlight switch unit. It controls all the lights you are having problems with. I'd replace it.
if the headlight switch was providing power all the time, then pulling the dome fuse wouldn't shut them off. take a look at the schematic and you'll see what i mean.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 02:29 AM   #10
Brownguy84
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm having the same issue, any solutions?????
Brownguy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #11
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Your best bet is to isolate where the problem is. It's not at the fuse panel. Try disconnecting at each of the switches and checking for shorts/ohming the switches. You'll figure it out.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.