Parking brake tension assembly- cheap repair - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Parking brake tension assembly- cheap repair

Steinjager TJ tube doorsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-18-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
DeclarationDay
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Parking brake tension assembly- cheap repair

Hello, new guy here. I did a cheap fix on my parking brake tensioner assembly today, and thought I'd share the info.

I bought my YJ a few months ago, and one of its quirks was that the parking brake cable wasn't tight enough. I crawled under the frame to wrench down the nut, and it was hopelessly rusted shut; any attempt to turn it would have snapped the bolt.

So I went to the Stealership yesterday to buy a new tensioner assembly, and they wanted $32 for it. I though this was a bit high, so I decided to tackle the problem myself.

I would have had more detailed pictures of the repair, but doing a write-up didn't occur to me until after I was done

First, I cut off the old bolt and nut, along with the hook that held the head of the bolt to the primary parking brake cable detent:

I opted to replace the old tension bolt with a larger diameter one, so I used a dremel tool and grinder bit (I'm sure you could just drill it too) to enlarge the hole on the cable detent. I purchased an 8" long bolt and self-locking nut from the hardware store, and assembled the parts. Note, the bolt has to be much longer than the original one because it also replaces the hook assembly.

Works perfectly, total cost: $1!

Unread 12-18-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
jonnyri
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I did the exact same thing. with a couple modifications...

I used 3/8" threaded rod, 2 locking nuts at the adjustment - one on each side to tighten the threaded rod to the bracket, and another two regular bolts tightened against each other at the equalizer.
jonnyri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 06:31 PM   #3
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclarationDay
Hello, new guy here. I did a cheap fix on my parking brake tensioner assembly today, and thought I'd share the info.

I bought my YJ a few months ago, and one of its quirks was that the parking brake cable wasn't tight enough. I crawled under the frame to wrench down the nut, and it was hopelessly rusted shut; any attempt to turn it would have snapped the bolt.

So I went to the Stealership yesterday to buy a new tensioner assembly, and they wanted $32 for it. I though this was a bit high, so I decided to tackle the problem myself.

I would have had more detailed pictures of the repair, but doing a write-up didn't occur to me until after I was done

First, I cut off the old bolt and nut, along with the hook that held the head of the bolt to the primary parking brake cable detent:

I opted to replace the old tension bolt with a larger diameter one, so I used a dremel tool and grinder bit (I'm sure you could just drill it too) to enlarge the hole on the cable detent. I purchased an 8" long bolt and self-locking nut from the hardware store, and assembled the parts. Note, the bolt has to be much longer than the original one because it also replaces the hook assembly.

Works perfectly, total cost: $1!
No Clicky
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
Btwngreengray
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem with the tensioner being rusted stuck and stuff, but it went fairly easy for me. I just used buttloads of PB Blaster and heat till the nut came off. I polished the whole assembly on the bench grinder and now it looks good as new. The dealership here wanted over $100 for a new one. I also changed the cables at the same time and did my rear brakes. All in a day's work.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were ever our countrymen!” Samuel Adams.

Christian Jeep Club Member #104
Btwngreengray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 07:07 PM   #5
DeclarationDay
1995 YJ Wrangler 

oops, double post.

Last edited by DeclarationDay; 12-18-2007 at 07:21 PM..
DeclarationDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 07:08 PM   #6
DeclarationDay
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btwngreengray
I had the same problem with the tensioner being rusted stuck and stuff, but it went fairly easy for me. I just used buttloads of PB Blaster and heat till the nut came off. I polished the whole assembly on the bench grinder and now it looks good as new. The dealership here wanted over $100 for a new one. I also changed the cables at the same time and did my rear brakes. All in a day's work.
Yeah I did the rear brakes too, and though the cables have some rust on them they still work fine. Replacing them is probably a good idea, but I don't want to spend the $$ replacing non-critical parts that still work.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.