Parking Brake Light Wont Shut Off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Parking Brake Light Wont Shut Off

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
strawbearies
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Parking Brake Light Wont Shut Off

So I've had an issue with my parking brake idiot light for the past 2 months now. At first the light would only dim after I released my parking brake, but now the light glows its bright angry red face at me even after releasing it.
I used to have an issue with my cylinder in my left rear wheel, it was pissing brake fluid, and I got that replaced, I even replaced the right rear one to be safe. From time to time a small leak will spring and the parking brake light will pop up when my fluid level is low. I've been keeping an eye on my fluid levels and they have not dropped in 2 months.
I have a feeling that the parking brake may be sticking because the other day I was parked on a slope so I left it in first gear without setting the parking brake, when I put it in neutral the thing did not roll backwards like it always does when I park there.
Even my command start is hooked up to the parking brake to shut off when the brake is released, but right now you can release the brake and the engine will continue to run (up until a week ago releasing the brake would kill the engine).
I stopped at a local auto parts store and told them my sob story since I was told it could be my brake proportioning valve. They told me that it could be my switch at the parking brake.
Any ideas??

Unread 04-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The parking brake switch is located on the parking brake pedal. Make sure it is OK.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

MY 1991 YJ had a similar issue. The parking brake light would stay on. It wasn't the braking system causing it, it was a rusty switch. I used a wire brush and some cleaner on it and the brake light went out. It came back after a few months due to getting stuck because it was so badly rusted.

I finally solved the entire issue when I ran my VIN through Chrysler. It seems they had a recall on the parking brakes. I called the local Jeep dealership, he ran my VIN to confirm, and set an appointment for them to replace my E-Brake free of charge. He even had the part in stock. Got a brand new E-Brake and switch installed. Problem Solved.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club #91
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
strawbearies
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks you two. I will have to crawl under my dash this weekend and take a look at the switch. That would be great it if was a simple fix like that.

As for the e-brake recall. I replaced all my parking brake cables a couple of years ago because they were all shot. Would that still affect it?
Unread 04-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

The parking brake recall was initially because the bracket that holds the pedal was weak and would bend. Still worth having someone check it out to see if it was done.

On the light side, there are a couple springs that return the brake pedal to the disengaged state. Give them a shot of silicone or teflon spray while you're down there this weekend. My e-brake wouldn't stay engaged, giving the assembly a quick lube job did the trick for me.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
trcutting
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Been having issues with my parking brake light not coming on as well. Shredded two sets of pads because of it. Couldn't remember to check the parking brake on start-up because I didn't have the light to remind me it was on. Read this thread, called Chrysler and sure enough I will be getting a new assembly because of this recall. Hope this gets the light to come on so I can stop doing at least one stupid thing.
trcutting is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.