Parking Brake LED dash light not working - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Parking Brake LED dash light not working

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 05-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #31
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinDC View Post
Where can I get a buzzer?
Rat Shack

Unread 05-17-2013, 06:47 AM   #32
CBinDC

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X

Rat Shack
I don't want to get too off topic here but how many dB and amps would be sufficient. I am not an electronics guy. I'm sure you've already figured that out. Haha

I saw on the shack a couple buzzers that might work:

http://m.radioshack.com/radioshack/p...egoryId=&path=

I have no idea what all the numbers mean. What makes it loud, whether it be amps, volts, Hz, or dBs.
CBinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #33
CBinDC

1989 YJ Wrangler 

So I went out this fine morning to take a look and found that the wire I had going to the power of the LED looks the same as the ground wire going to the parking brake pedal. They are both grey with a black stripe.

This is why I used that wire as the power:

image-593602551.jpg

image-406435176.jpg

Am I wrong here? Is it just coincidence that the ground wire and the power wire are the same colors?
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #34
CBinDC

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here are some other diagrams:

This is SH 7

image-1360852446.jpg

At the top of the page it says (SEE SH 43)

So here it is SH 43

image-446140229.jpg

It is clearly a Grey wire with black stripe. So is this the ground or the power? If this is the power, where is the ground.

I'm so confused.
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #35
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

It is the ground, see the indicator for ground where the switch is?
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #36
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Looks like you have hooked a ground to both sides of your bulb. Won't work that way.

Also, polarity will mess you up on leds if not right
Unread 05-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #37
CBinDC

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you look at SH 7, you see the parking brake switch. It's an open switch, I'm guessing it's activated when you push down on the p brake. It shows that it's grounded on one side. And I'm guessing the grey/ black wire coming off of it is just a continuation of that ground? So where is the power? I can't seem to figure out what color that wire is.

However, there is an orange/ black wire that has been used to illuminate the LEDs for the tach and Speedo. I know there are a couple of these left that have not been used. Would one of these work? Just asking so I don't fry something. The worst thing is to damage something, especially as seemingly small as a LED, have to reorder and then wait another few days to re-do. Thanks for your help Old4X.
Unread 05-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #38
CBinDC

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Looks like you have hooked a ground to both sides of your bulb. Won't work that way.

Also, polarity will mess you up on leds if not right
Yeah definitely looks that way.
Unread 05-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #39
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It looks to me like they used the same color wire for both the ground and the hot. On 43(I apologize if that's not right on my phone so can't see posts) I really want to say that's the hot. It does say input and it doesn't show ground like the other pictures did.

There is a wire that powers the ribbon. Maybe if you trace the ribbon where the bulb sits in place down to where it connects to a wire? I'd figure they would all be connected to the same hot because they are a low amp draw and everything is operated by ground.

Help our dog Bo! https://fundly.com/give-bo-a-chance
Michaelgoesrawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #40
CBinDC

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr

It looks to me like they used the same color wire for both the ground and the hot. On 43(I apologize if that's not right on my phone so can't see posts) I really want to say that's the hot. It does say input and it doesn't show ground like the other pictures did.

There is a wire that powers the ribbon. Maybe if you trace the ribbon where the bulb sits in place down to where it connects to a wire? I'd figure they would all be connected to the same hot because they are a low amp draw and everything is operated by ground.
I think it's the orange/black wire. It's the same wire that powers the LEDs to my Tach and Speedo. I think I'm going to connect that to the power and take the grey/ black wire and put that on the ground.

When I connected the grey black wire to the hot side of the LED, it just showed my inexperience with reading these elec. diagrams. Now when I see the diagram, I can clearly see why it is the ground.
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #41
CBinDC

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Possibly a dumb question but not sure, so I'll ask. The Orange power wire that is used to illuminate the speedo and tach is an 18g wire. The power wire for the parking brake dash LED is 20g. Would it be ok to go from a higher gauge power source (12v, 18g) to a smaller gauge wire of the LED (12v, 20g)?
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #42
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinDC View Post
Possibly a dumb question but not sure, so I'll ask. The Orange power wire that is used to illuminate the speedo and tach is an 18g wire. The power wire for the parking brake dash LED is 20g. Would it be ok to go from a higher gauge power source (12v, 18g) to a smaller gauge wire of the LED (12v, 20g)?

If you are asking to substitute a lighter wire for a heavier one, tha answer is usually no, unless you know every component that wire powers, and you are using fewer amps in your new configuration.

LEDs draw less amps than tungsten filiment bulbs.

But your question sounds like you are going to tap the lighting circuit, that is not the proper power source. It should be a hot off the ignition switcs. The lighting circuit is dead unless thge lights are turned on.

I may have read your intention wrong, though
Unread 05-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #43
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

If you are asking to substitute a lighter wire for a heavier one, tha answer is usually no, unless you know every component that wire powers, and you are using fewer amps in your new configuration.

LEDs draw less amps than tungsten filiment bulbs.

But your question sounds like you are going to tap the lighting circuit, that is not the proper power source. It should be a hot off the ignition switcs. The lighting circuit is dead unless thge lights are turned on.

I may have read your intention wrong, though
This. If I'm not mistaken he could probably tap into the turn signal circuit for the indicator. They have power as the brake light indicator would.

Help our dog Bo! https://fundly.com/give-bo-a-chance
Michaelgoesrawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #44
CBinDC

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

This. If I'm not mistaken he could probably tap into the turn signal circuit for the indicator. They have power as the brake light indicator would.
Haha this is exactly what crossed my mind. When I realized that tapping into the lighting circuit would basically provide constant power to the LED, I looked for another option. That's when I saw I could tap into the turn signal line.

I tried jumping my battery. Unfortunately, it is done.
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #45
CBinDC

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Well I FINALLY got a new battery after going to 6 auto stores. I needed a battery with a BCI of 56, all I could find we're 58s. Anyways, finally I got home, hooked it up, tapped into the left turn signal circuit, and when I turned on the engine, nothing. However, when I turned on the left turn signal they were beautifully synchronized, blinking. Obviously, this is not the wire I want to use. Sheesh!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.