Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Parking Brake LED dash light not working

6K views 82 replies 8 participants last post by  Michaelgoesrawr 
#1 ·
I upgraded my dash some time ago and have had numerous problems with wiring my LEDs (and gauges). One of my problems is that the Parking Brake light doesn't come on when push in the parking brake. I know the ground is fine because high beam LED and the brake LED use the same ground and the HB light comes on when I activate the HBs. I also checked the back of the LED and the wires look intact.

Before I did the upgrade the Parking Brake dash light worked fine. I looked under the dash to see how the light could be (??) activated. The device that I've singled out does not look damaged or corroded.

Frankly, I really don't know what I'm looking at or looking for. Could it be the brake light switch, relay, corroded wires? Like I said earlier, the light worked fine before I did the "upgrade".

Here is the switch I'm talking about:

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/brake-lamp-switch-w-o-cruise-control-3215938.html

Any thoughts? Thanks.

#4 ·
There is a switch on your parking brake itself if I'm not mistaken. It's at the top under the dash. There is a single wire going to it. It's this way on my '88 and I cannot see your year on the mobile app so I apologize if this is not the case.

As far as I know the switch you posted is the actual brake light switch for the brake pedal.

#5 ·
Michaelgoesrawr said:
There is a switch on your parking brake itself if I'm not mistaken. It's at the top under the dash. There is a single wire going to it. It's this way on my '88 and I cannot see your year on the mobile app so I apologize if this is not the case.

As far as I know the switch you posted is the actual brake light switch for the brake pedal.
I have an '89, so the same. I hate the inability to see a persons specs on the mobile app. It's pretty bad. I hope they fix that.

So the switch I posted is the switch for the tail lights? Hmm

On page 5-10 of the manual, it shows a "wire switch connector". I can't find any info on what this for exactly. Is this the possible culprit?

Font Parallel Drawing Diagram Circle

I still need to check the voltage at LED though. I can't get to it right now but will later.

#8 ·
Personally, because I'm not very good with a meter, I'd start at the switch and see if something happened to the wire. Lol

Edit: I forgot you said it worked before. My knowledge is spent on the subject at this point. Maybe que will be able to help you. Sorry bud.

#19 ·
By pedal you are talking emergency brake pedal.

Yes, the ground side of the dash light goes to the wire on top of the emergency brake light switch. It also goes to the purportioning valve to indicate a failed brake hyd circuit. When either switch closes, it completes circuit to ground.

Did you test the bulb before install? You should be able to use a jumper (to ground) to light it to test the socket and power to bulb.

If nogo with the jumper, break out the test light or multi-meter and see why no power.

#25 ·
Michaelgoesrawr said:
Yeah buddy.
Alright thanks. I'll take a closer look tomorrow. When I got home later today, I couldn't test the voltage cause my battery was dead. I accidentally left one of the doors open, after doing some wiring work last night, and the interior lights were inadvertently left on. I can't remember if there was ever a buzzer/ alarm that would go off when doors were left open. Does anyone know? I have a '89 YJ. If not, can I rig one up?

Tomorrow I have the morning off, so I'll recharge my battery and take a closer look at the wiring. I think I got my wires crossed somewhere. No pun intended.

Thanks for all your help!

#26 ·
GunslingerSql1 said:
Hey ummm on the same subject. Mine brake light won't go off. Don't want to hi-jack your thread but figured since you guys were kinda already on the subject I'd ask.
Funny! Earlier today when I did a google search on my problem I found this:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/brake-light-staying-on-144026.html

Not sure this will help you but at least it's a start. My google search was "YJ Jeep brake dash light not working". Hope you figure it out. Good luck!

#29 ·
Old4X said:
I have found the door activated lights rather usless and prone to do what happened to you. I disconnect my switches as I often have the doors open or off completely.
Yeah, I get what your saying. I'm thinking about doing the same but then again, I do like the idea of a light down there. Maybe it would be a good idea to rig some better lighting down and tie in a buzzer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.