Parking brake does not work - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Parking brake does not work

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 09-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
monkey710

Parking brake does not work

Ok all, pardon my nubliness, but I just don't know where to start on this. I bought a 89 YJ and the parking brake does not work. It had been lifted and now has 33" tires on it. The previous owner never used it so he never noticed this issue. I don't normally use it either, but I am shipping it overseas for my move and they require it to work before loading it on the boat. It feels loose when pushing in like the cable is too loose, so I guess I will start there...any other ideas?

monkey710 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Crawl underneath and look at cables. tighten them if possible.
Also, go thur the stickys and find out if your Jeep has had the rework done on the brake lever.

[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
monkey710

I tried adjusting the tension on the cable, but when the brake is engaged there is no more cable to pull out...it seems to be pulling a total of about 5 inches on rear cable. Something to do inside the drum? Something related to the larger wheels?
Unread 09-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
monkey710

The mechanism seems to operate fine, just not stopping vehicular motion.
Unread 09-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #5
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Alright your now part of the Parking break that doesn't work club.
Welcome and enjoy your time here.

[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
monkey710

Yay...I feel so special...I guess to the shop it goes before I move...
Unread 09-09-2011, 07:39 AM   #7
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The cable is to long. It's a factory thing. You can take it apart and put a spacer behind the cable and the ajuster.
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
LordEnki
2006 WK 

So, how does this spacer go on? At the pedal end? Any pics available?
LordEnki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2011, 09:55 AM   #9
tdewit
1991 YJ Wrangler 

First adjust the brakeshoes properly before adjusting the e/brake. Does wonders.
tdewit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #10
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ever YJ I test drove (EVERY ONE OF THEM) had poorly adjusted rear brakes. This affects the function of the parking brake.

Jack up the rear wheel, use a flat screwdriver (or drum brake adjuster tool if you have, better angle, easier) and adjust the shoes. This is done from the oval shaped port on the dust cover behind the drums. Adjust them until you can JUST feel the wheel drag, then back it off a click. (that's how I do mine anyways...)

The stopping ability is so much better with proper adjustment too.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #11
mazyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstillatwork View Post
Ever YJ I test drove (EVERY ONE OF THEM) had poorly adjusted rear brakes. This affects the function of the parking brake.

Jack up the rear wheel, use a flat screwdriver (or drum brake adjuster tool if you have, better angle, easier) and adjust the shoes. This is done from the oval shaped port on the dust cover behind the drums. Adjust them until you can JUST feel the wheel drag, then back it off a click. (that's how I do mine anyways...)

The stopping ability is so much better with proper adjustment too.
This should fix you ebrake and get you stopping quite a bit better- at least for a couple weeks
Unread 09-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #12
nzpete
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I lived in Germany for 10 years while stationed in the military and trust me, you'll want to have everything on your Jeep fixed now, before your go. If you think repairs are expensive here, just wait till you get "there".
Instead of trying to figure out your parking brake issue, replace the rear brakes and drums and have them adjusted properly.
If you have anything "iffy", get it done now or you'll regret it later.
Unread 09-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #13
monkey710

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzpete
I lived in Germany for 10 years while stationed in the military and trust me, you'll want to have everything on your Jeep fixed now, before your go. If you think repairs are expensive here, just wait till you get "there".
Instead of trying to figure out your parking brake issue, replace the rear brakes and drums and have them adjusted properly.
If you have anything "iffy", get it done now or you'll regret it later.
Yeah, especially since I am being transferred to Bahrain!!

But I don't think it is the cable, it pulled the cable out from the brake side of the equalizer and there is no more play. I think it is in the drum/shoe itself. That is the next path I am going down.
Unread 09-11-2011, 06:46 AM   #14
nzpete
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I spent two tours in the "middle east", too, and it is even worse! Bahrain isn't quite as bad as some places you could go to, but you would do well to get things done now. You might even think about buying and shipping a few spare parts just in case. Good luck!
Unread 09-11-2011, 08:05 AM   #15
1989 YJ Wrangler 

HI,
The rear brakes on an '89 YJ are self-adjusting. They adjust every time you are moving in reverse and apply the brakes. However, it would be a good idea to manually adjust them just to make sure of where your starting point is.

Sparky
Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.