Parking Brake Cable too long? Need help with adjustment - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-23-2011, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Fernando

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Parking Brake Cable too long? Need help with adjustment

Hello everyone
I just bought replacement cables for the parking brake, bought three cables, one from the pedal to the equalizer under the jeep, then one for the right/one for the left...

I am not doing the installation since I have no time now but my mechanic tells me one of the cables is about 2" longer and the other one is 1" longer... does this sound normal? I ordered the cables for my model/year... Is there any adjustment that can be made to fix this? I wish I could do it myself but I'm swamped with work

All help is appreciated, seems to me this is more of an adjusting issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-23-2011, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Fernando

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Bump

Quote:
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
post #3 of 5 Old 08-24-2011, 05:16 AM
CJ51973

1988 YJ Wrangler 

My 88 had a D35 out of a 94 . The cables were too long for the stock adjustor. I ended yp using a 3/4" pipe nipple to sleeve out to the adjustment so I could tighten things up. Right & left cables are two different lengths. All I know about it.

Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-24-2011, 05:39 AM
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can un-tension the main cable, wrap it around a half inch bolt, sandwiched between 2 washers to shorten it overall by aound by around 1.5 inches if my math is right!
post #5 of 5 Old 08-24-2011, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Fernando

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you guys for your input, in the end, it all checked out, apparently all that was necessary was proper adjustment of the brake shoes and the drum mechanism... everything fit right then

I appreciate your help!

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.