Parking Brake Cable too long? Need help with adjustment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Parking Brake Cable too long? Need help with adjustment

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Parking Brake Cable too long? Need help with adjustment

Hello everyone
I just bought replacement cables for the parking brake, bought three cables, one from the pedal to the equalizer under the jeep, then one for the right/one for the left...

I am not doing the installation since I have no time now but my mechanic tells me one of the cables is about 2" longer and the other one is 1" longer... does this sound normal? I ordered the cables for my model/year... Is there any adjustment that can be made to fix this? I wish I could do it myself but I'm swamped with work

All help is appreciated, seems to me this is more of an adjusting issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Bump

Quote:
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
Unread 08-24-2011, 05:16 AM   #3
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My 88 had a D35 out of a 94 . The cables were too long for the stock adjustor. I ended yp using a 3/4" pipe nipple to sleeve out to the adjustment so I could tighten things up. Right & left cables are two different lengths. All I know about it.
Unread 08-24-2011, 05:39 AM   #4
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can un-tension the main cable, wrap it around a half inch bolt, sandwiched between 2 washers to shorten it overall by aound by around 1.5 inches if my math is right!
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you guys for your input, in the end, it all checked out, apparently all that was necessary was proper adjustment of the brake shoes and the drum mechanism... everything fit right then

I appreciate your help!

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.