Parking brake cable crimp tool - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Parking brake cable crimp tool

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippMagnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 04-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
danm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Parking brake cable crimp tool

I changed out my 1990 d35 3:56 to a 1995 d35 4:56 real axel assembly. I rebuilt the brakes and installed the assy assuming that the brake cables would be the same length. Wrong!!! I don't want to go to the trouble of unassembling the brakes to change out and reinstall my old cables. Does anyone know of a crimp tool that will allow me to shorten the cables and crimp new ends.

danm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
djsmith1174
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had a frozen parking brake cable on the passenger side when I rebuilt my rear brakes last year. When I got everything back together, the parking brake would pull unevenly due to stretch in the drivers side. I ended up cutting a slot in the appropriate length of aluminum sleeve which I slipped over the cable and held in place with a couple of cable clamps. It was a cheap solution to compensate for the difference and get them to pull evenly, albeit not the most elegant one.

In your situation, I'm not aware of a crimping tool for those cables. I think the factory ends are actually fused to the cable since they will have a lot of pressure applied to them. Crimped ends would likely slip under that kind of pressure. You might be able to take a piece of steel and drill a hole in it the size of the cable. Then tack weld it at the appropriate length with low amperage and small wire. That would be my best solution for your problem.

Someone else may know of a better option. It may be best to take things apart and use the appropriate length cables. As much as that option would like to be avoided. Hope this response helps.
djsmith1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

This is for an 8.8 ebrake, but if you look through it, there's some good ideas that'll probably work for you too.... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/8...lution-579710/
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

What you are looking for is a cable swager. They are very common in medium to large aircraft repair shops. They are used to swage stops and fittings on aircraft control cables from 1/16th inch to 3/8ths inch cable.

Locally you can find some hand swager tools at hardware stores. Not as high grade as what the fly-boys use, but adequate.

Alternately, try a local rancher that is using high tensil wire fencing for livestock. The swage tool used for this type fence looks like a big set of bolt cutters, and the swage splices supplied are available in different diameters.

Also, linemen for power companies use a hand swage tool in their work that is similar to what the ranchers use. Again, different size "crimps" are available.

If all the above fails, try the local archery shop. They swage stops on bow cables (but I think their stuff will be too small).
Unread 04-18-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
chasmosis1
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Having been in the garage door business for many years I can positively tell you that you can visit your local garage door company and they will not only have the ability to cut your cables properly (cable, not sheath), but they can also install the swage ends as well.

Chas
chasmosis1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.