Parking Brake On - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Parking Brake On

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-23-2002, 10:43 AM   #1
jthumper35

Parking Brake On

Today when I got to school I noticed a lil smoke coming from my rear drum brakes. It also was putting off a rank smell. I then realized that I had left my parking brake on and I hanve no light to let me know that it is enagaged. Is there a certain speed where I can do some damage or a certain number of miles? I only traveled about 6 miles and reached about 40 mph and I felt alot of backtravel or backlash. Just wandering if anyone has done this before.

Any advice is helpful

Thanks
Justin

Is there supposed to be a light to let my know my parking brake is engaged?

Unread 10-23-2002, 10:48 AM   #2
bamajeep

I have done this a few times and have never noticed any harm. However my parking brake on the Ol' YJ hasn't worked in a while. Thank God and Daimler-Chrysler that it will be back in service soon as i get my recall appt. As far as the light goes I don't have one either.
bamajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2002, 11:12 AM   #3
GASPEDDLER

I wouldn't worry about it, just a little extra wear on your brake shoes.

My lights been out for a while too, I make it a point to yank on the brake release handle prior to pulling away.

Funny how the brake light won't come on and my "service engine soon", light won't turn off.
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2002, 09:37 PM   #4
jthumper35

Thanks for the reply's guys Im not that worried about it either. The rig is driving fine and the brakes work good.

Thanks

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.