Papa Smurf Coilover Conversion at Poison Spyder - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Papa Smurf Coilover Conversion at Poison Spyder

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 07-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #16
khwrx
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Is this gonna be a bolt on 4 link kit? I got a 94 yj and would like something along those lines in the rear.

khwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #17
DTS
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
any other upgrades besides the coil overs? different cage work, bumpers, other fenders?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos14 View Post
Larry mentioned to me you guys were working on a YJ Hi-line DeFender, think those will be replacing the current DeFenders on here?
Yes we'll be working on the DeFender XC's for YJ, using Papa Smurf. I'm not sure when we'll get to that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95YamJam View Post
Looks sweet! Saw and following on fb too! Lotsa coil over haters there though. Lol! It's all good as long as you guys keep the square headlights!
Yeah there's always going to be somebody that complains about anything you do. Oh well you just roll with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
well, not hardly...

whilst I love my YJ, my bad back doesn't love leaf springs that much any more! I've been seriously considering trading to something coiloverish that would have a softer ride (coilover LJ ), but if you guys have got something going that won't take a rocket scientist to build and install, and is affordable... then I'm very curious to see the results.
We're not sure yet whether we will be offering the components for sale. But if we did, they wouldn't be that simple of an install--this definitely is not a simple bolt-in. You'll see as the project moves along. Or you can go check out our photos from Daddy Longlegs, which has a similar coilover setup.
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #18
DTS
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by khwrx View Post
Is this gonna be a bolt on 4 link kit? I got a 94 yj and would like something along those lines in the rear.
It will have a triangulated 4-link rear, but its not a bolt-on. And we're not sure yet whether we will even offer the components for sale. That's why this is in the YJ Tech section not the vendor section. We're not trying to sell it, we just thought some people might find it interesting.
Unread 07-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #19
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I dig it, I have been looking at coil over suspensions on YJs for a while to try to decide how I want to build mine, interested to see what you guys come up with!
What type of wheeling are you trying to set the suspenion up for, rock crawling, trail riding...?

Ask me about my 4BT Cummins Motor Mounts!!
youngjeeper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #20
OKwranglerYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
x3
OKwranglerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #21
DTS
Vendor

More work on the axle side and frame side link mounts, and steering links...

Unread 08-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #22
DTS
Vendor

The upper rear link mounts are located on top of the frame rail, right under where the cage B-pillar tube bolts in. During this round of upgrades we're also removing the body lift Papa Smurf had, so this created a problem at this spot. No worries, just cut a hole in the floor to clear for the link mount, then fabricate a raised foot plate for the cage pillar out of 3/16" plate....

Unread 08-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #23
DTS
Vendor

Also while we were at it we fabricated some heavy duty body mount perches, as the stock ones were pretty beat. These may become a production item. We designed them primarily for the TJ, since it will be a bigger market, but they worked on the YJ with a little extra tuning.

And here it is with the suspension links done, sitting on its new set of 40" BFG Krawlers. In this photo its just sitting on stilts where the coilovers should be, as we haven't added the upper coilover mounts/towers yet. We'll get to that soon.

Unread 08-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #24
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It looks great, but I can't say I'm on board with the upper link mounts. I'd personally rather not have to disassemble my suspension when I need to service the diff for whatever reason. Doesn't currie offer a bridge that can be mounted over the rockjock center? Those axles look sick btw. Any estimate on what I would cost to duplicate those for a customer?
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #25
DTS
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
It looks great, but I can't say I'm on board with the upper link mounts. I'd personally rather not have to disassemble my suspension when I need to service the diff for whatever reason. Doesn't currie offer a bridge that can be mounted over the rockjock center? Those axles look sick btw. Any estimate on what I would cost to duplicate those for a customer?
To each his own, I suppose. We've built several rigs now with the upper link mounts attached to the Rock Jock diff cover and it hasn't really been that much of a nuisance. Its just a matter of a couple of jackstands and two heim joint bolts, if you need to get the cover off (in addition to the diff cover bolts you'd have to undo anyhow). And if you're running heims, those should be inspected regularly anyhow.

I can't really comment on the cost. These builds aren't really a normal part of our business so we don't have an a la carte menu of prices for doing this stuff. We do a lot of this type of work but its usually for our own rigs, or show rigs, basically for promotional use. So retail pricing usually isn't figured in.
Unread 08-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #26
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looks solid so far, those welds are insane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #27
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Pretty bad***

I put the stars there
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #28
DTS
Vendor

Time to update this thread! More photos from the conversion. Not exactly in order LOL...

Unread 10-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #29
DTS
Vendor

Unread 10-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #30
DTS
Vendor

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.