Painting soon! Couple questions.! - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Painting soon! Couple questions.!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Reply
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
95YJMountie
Just.Empty.Every.Pocket.
 
95YJMountie's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Morgantown, WV
Posts: 379
Painting soon! Couple questions.!

Posted a thread a few weeks ago about painting my jeep, and wasnt sure if i wanted to keep the diamond plate or not. But i am now thinking of keeping it, but making it black instead. Thoughts or ideas greatly appreciated. Ill be stripping for paint by possibly this weekend. Want to paint it by the last weekend of july (in 2 weeks)

95YJMountie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
95YJMountie
Just.Empty.Every.Pocket.
 
95YJMountie's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Morgantown, WV
Posts: 379
Forgot the pics, sorry.

Its on the fenders, rockers, corners, and the tailgate. Im repainting it black, and thought about doing the diamond plate black also.
image.jpg  
95YJMountie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er
 
Anticanman's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ripon, California
Posts: 18,475
I have been recently turned on to powdercoating. Is that an option for the diamond plate?
__________________
Luck Favours The Prepared
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
95YJMountie
Just.Empty.Every.Pocket.
 
95YJMountie's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Morgantown, WV
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I have been recently turned on to powdercoating. Is that an option for the diamond plate?
I considered it but wasnt sure how well itll hold up on trails
95YJMountie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
SeanB95YJ
Web Wheeler
 
SeanB95YJ's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 1,130
initially, a quality powder coat will be more chip/scratch resistant than a quality paint... problem is, when it DOES chip/scratch, it's a whole ton harder to touch up (properly) than paint is

that diamond plate is Aluminum.... whatever top coat you have done, make sure a good etching primer/sealer is used to prevent oxidation of the alum, and peeling/flaking of the paint
__________________
Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
swap/build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...hread-1542284/
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.
 
DirtKar's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Nor Cal Sierras
Posts: 1,199
Meh. I did an entire diatribe on this and went into Photobucket to grab a pic, I come back to this screen and its gone.

Yes, powder is substantially more durable.
Yes, powder loves to be on aluminum.
Yes, aluminum is tough to keep paint on for the reasons mentioned above.
Yes, if you do damage the PC finish you will likely live with it or squirt it with the closest paint finish.

PC after dealing with flaky paint on old aluminum corners...

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos14 View Post
What you see as not bad, and what I see as not bad, are two completely different not bads
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
I am kinda partial to white.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
That's racist, Chris.
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.
 
DirtKar's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Nor Cal Sierras
Posts: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95YJMountie View Post
I considered it but wasnt sure how well itll hold up on trails
Excellent is your answer, Sir.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos14 View Post
What you see as not bad, and what I see as not bad, are two completely different not bads
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
I am kinda partial to white.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
That's racist, Chris.
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
bchap05
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 104
I hate the diamond plate looks way to 90's for me. But that's just me. Looks better in black.
bchap05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
95YJMountie
Just.Empty.Every.Pocket.
 
95YJMountie's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Morgantown, WV
Posts: 379
Well, with that being said, ive narrowed it down to either powdercoating or removing. What do you guys think would be best??
95YJMountie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er
 
Anticanman's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ripon, California
Posts: 18,475
It's your jeep. Run what you want but if you're gonna do something, do it right or not at all.
__________________
Luck Favours The Prepared
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #11
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.
 
DirtKar's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Nor Cal Sierras
Posts: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by anticanman View Post
it's your jeep. Run what you want but if you're gonna do something, do it right or do it again.
fify
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos14 View Post
What you see as not bad, and what I see as not bad, are two completely different not bads
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
I am kinda partial to white.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
That's racist, Chris.
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #12
Kuntryboy816
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Newark, Dela"where"
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95YJMountie View Post
Well, with that being said, ive narrowed it down to either powdercoating or removing. What do you guys think would be best??
Before you rule out painting it....

Powdercoating vs paint... BOTH are going to get chipped eventually. It's just a matter of time. Does it really matter which goes first? I think ease of maintenance rules out over durability. PC is hard to "patch up" when it does get damaged. Paint is easy to fix.

I had an ORFab swing out tire carrier that I bought used. The PC was all mangled up and rust was working its way in even under the PC. I thought the same of whether to re-PC or strip and paint it. I opted to paint it. Reason being that I could touch it up really quick and cheap when it got damaged and it would be cheaper in the long run. Well I stripped it down to bare metal and bought a good etching primer and 4 cans of Rustoleum Hammered Black. Primer went on and gave it a full 2 days to dry. Then I applied 3 coats of the Rustoleum. On the 4th coat I sprayed heavy and then used an old sponge to dab at it when it got tacky. It gave it an awesome textured finish. Finally I sprayed 2 coats of matte clear on it and it looked freaking sweet. When I sold it 2 years later, the guy asked me if it had even been used b/c it still looked new. BTW, I only used 1 can of primer, 2 cans of black and 1 can of clear when all was said and done... <$30.

If it were me, I'd keep the plate and maybe spray it with a dark gun-metal gray. That way it doesn't look like you just painted over it while it was on the Jeep and the different tone will set off the black paint nicely. Great thing is that you can choose whatever color you want and it's very easy to touch up when needed.

Shoot, I spraybombed my entire Jeep and it's held up great over the last couple years.
picture-040.jpg  
__________________
A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. -George Washington
Kuntryboy816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #13
95YJMountie
Just.Empty.Every.Pocket.
 
95YJMountie's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Morgantown, WV
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuntryboy816 View Post
Before you rule out painting it....

Powdercoating vs paint... BOTH are going to get chipped eventually. It's just a matter of time. Does it really matter which goes first? I think ease of maintenance rules out over durability. PC is hard to "patch up" when it does get damaged. Paint is easy to fix.

I had an ORFab swing out tire carrier that I bought used. The PC was all mangled up and rust was working its way in even under the PC. I thought the same of whether to re-PC or strip and paint it. I opted to paint it. Reason being that I could touch it up really quick and cheap when it got damaged and it would be cheaper in the long run. Well I stripped it down to bare metal and bought a good etching primer and 4 cans of Rustoleum Hammered Black. Primer went on and gave it a full 2 days to dry. Then I applied 3 coats of the Rustoleum. On the 4th coat I sprayed heavy and then used an old sponge to dab at it when it got tacky. It gave it an awesome textured finish. Finally I sprayed 2 coats of matte clear on it and it looked freaking sweet. When I sold it 2 years later, the guy asked me if it had even been used b/c it still looked new. BTW, I only used 1 can of primer, 2 cans of black and 1 can of clear when all was said and done... <$30.

If it were me, I'd keep the plate and maybe spray it with a dark gun-metal gray. That way it doesn't look like you just painted over it while it was on the Jeep and the different tone will set off the black paint nicely. Great thing is that you can choose whatever color you want and it's very easy to touch up when needed.

Shoot, I spraybombed my entire Jeep and it's held up great over the last couple years.
Ill try it! Thanks man
95YJMountie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #14
95YJMountie
Just.Empty.Every.Pocket.
 
95YJMountie's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Morgantown, WV
Posts: 379
Good lookin jeep btw. I really like the camo
95YJMountie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #15
Kuntryboy816
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Newark, Dela"where"
Posts: 411
Thanks!
__________________
A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. -George Washington
Kuntryboy816 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.