JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Painting soon! Couple questions.! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/painting-soon-couple-questions-1550009/)

95YJMountie 07-16-2013 11:29 PM

Painting soon! Couple questions.!

Posted a thread a few weeks ago about painting my jeep, and wasnt sure if i wanted to keep the diamond plate or not. But i am now thinking of keeping it, but making it black instead. Thoughts or ideas greatly appreciated. Ill be stripping for paint by possibly this weekend. Want to paint it by the last weekend of july (in 2 weeks)

95YJMountie 07-16-2013 11:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot the pics, sorry.

Its on the fenders, rockers, corners, and the tailgate. Im repainting it black, and thought about doing the diamond plate black also.

Anticanman 07-16-2013 11:38 PM

I have been recently turned on to powdercoating. Is that an option for the diamond plate?

95YJMountie 07-17-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anticanman (Post 15685872)
I have been recently turned on to powdercoating. Is that an option for the diamond plate?

I considered it but wasnt sure how well itll hold up on trails

SeanB95YJ 07-17-2013 09:41 AM

initially, a quality powder coat will be more chip/scratch resistant than a quality paint... problem is, when it DOES chip/scratch, it's a whole ton harder to touch up (properly) than paint is

that diamond plate is Aluminum.... whatever top coat you have done, make sure a good etching primer/sealer is used to prevent oxidation of the alum, and peeling/flaking of the paint

DirtKar 07-17-2013 09:58 AM

Meh. I did an entire diatribe on this and went into Photobucket to grab a pic, I come back to this screen and its gone.:thumbdown:

Yes, powder is substantially more durable.
Yes, powder loves to be on aluminum.
Yes, aluminum is tough to keep paint on for the reasons mentioned above.
Yes, if you do damage the PC finish you will likely live with it or squirt it with the closest paint finish.

PC after dealing with flaky paint on old aluminum corners...

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...BD466C9D7F.jpg

DirtKar 07-17-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95YJMountie (Post 15686594)
I considered it but wasnt sure how well itll hold up on trails

Excellent is your answer, Sir.

bchap05 07-17-2013 10:09 AM

I hate the diamond plate looks way to 90's for me. But that's just me. Looks better in black.

95YJMountie 07-17-2013 11:08 AM

Well, with that being said, ive narrowed it down to either powdercoating or removing. What do you guys think would be best??

Anticanman 07-17-2013 11:11 AM

It's your jeep. Run what you want but if you're gonna do something, do it right or not at all.

DirtKar 07-17-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anticanman (Post 15687106)
it's your jeep. Run what you want but if you're gonna do something, do it right or do it again.

fify

Kuntryboy816 07-18-2013 08:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 95YJMountie (Post 15687090)
Well, with that being said, ive narrowed it down to either powdercoating or removing. What do you guys think would be best??

Before you rule out painting it....

Powdercoating vs paint... BOTH are going to get chipped eventually. It's just a matter of time. Does it really matter which goes first? I think ease of maintenance rules out over durability. PC is hard to "patch up" when it does get damaged. Paint is easy to fix.

I had an ORFab swing out tire carrier that I bought used. The PC was all mangled up and rust was working its way in even under the PC. I thought the same of whether to re-PC or strip and paint it. I opted to paint it. Reason being that I could touch it up really quick and cheap when it got damaged and it would be cheaper in the long run. Well I stripped it down to bare metal and bought a good etching primer and 4 cans of Rustoleum Hammered Black. Primer went on and gave it a full 2 days to dry. Then I applied 3 coats of the Rustoleum. On the 4th coat I sprayed heavy and then used an old sponge to dab at it when it got tacky. It gave it an awesome textured finish. Finally I sprayed 2 coats of matte clear on it and it looked freaking sweet. When I sold it 2 years later, the guy asked me if it had even been used b/c it still looked new. BTW, I only used 1 can of primer, 2 cans of black and 1 can of clear when all was said and done... <$30. :highfive:

If it were me, I'd keep the plate and maybe spray it with a dark gun-metal gray. That way it doesn't look like you just painted over it while it was on the Jeep and the different tone will set off the black paint nicely. Great thing is that you can choose whatever color you want and it's very easy to touch up when needed. :thumbsup:

Shoot, I spraybombed my entire Jeep and it's held up great over the last couple years.

95YJMountie 07-18-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuntryboy816 (Post 15690684)
Before you rule out painting it....

Powdercoating vs paint... BOTH are going to get chipped eventually. It's just a matter of time. Does it really matter which goes first? I think ease of maintenance rules out over durability. PC is hard to "patch up" when it does get damaged. Paint is easy to fix.

I had an ORFab swing out tire carrier that I bought used. The PC was all mangled up and rust was working its way in even under the PC. I thought the same of whether to re-PC or strip and paint it. I opted to paint it. Reason being that I could touch it up really quick and cheap when it got damaged and it would be cheaper in the long run. Well I stripped it down to bare metal and bought a good etching primer and 4 cans of Rustoleum Hammered Black. Primer went on and gave it a full 2 days to dry. Then I applied 3 coats of the Rustoleum. On the 4th coat I sprayed heavy and then used an old sponge to dab at it when it got tacky. It gave it an awesome textured finish. Finally I sprayed 2 coats of matte clear on it and it looked freaking sweet. When I sold it 2 years later, the guy asked me if it had even been used b/c it still looked new. BTW, I only used 1 can of primer, 2 cans of black and 1 can of clear when all was said and done... <$30. :highfive:

If it were me, I'd keep the plate and maybe spray it with a dark gun-metal gray. That way it doesn't look like you just painted over it while it was on the Jeep and the different tone will set off the black paint nicely. Great thing is that you can choose whatever color you want and it's very easy to touch up when needed. :thumbsup:

Shoot, I spraybombed my entire Jeep and it's held up great over the last couple years.

Ill try it! Thanks man

95YJMountie 07-18-2013 10:54 AM

Good lookin jeep btw. I really like the camo

Kuntryboy816 07-19-2013 12:49 PM

Thanks!

The time now is 10:05 AM.