painting my yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > painting my yj

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSpiderwebshade @ JeepHut.com

Unread 04-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
skimsurf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

painting my yj

Since its getting warmer, and i have a bit of surface rust from the stupid brine they started using here in pa this past winter, im thinking about repainting my jeep. I dont know if you can tell from my profile pic, but theres no clear coat. It was just primer with a tan paint. this wont make it difficult to repaint, but I also dont want the same thing to happen again next winter. I was thinking about going flat black, but i kinda like the way it looks with the tan paint. downsides, i took it to the car wash and lots of paint came off, and of the course the resting, but it is just surface, so no body work. so without rhino/hercu lining the tub, or spending a fortune in a new paint job, what can i do myself to make the paint job look good, and be tough? i can deal with a few hundred bucks in paint. but any suggestions? I am going to wait till next month, when I am sure the whether will be good, as i dont have a garage, and or paint shop. just let me know what you think i should do. Thanks!

skimsurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
lestes94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I think that you have a good idea, but keep in mind that you are really going to get what you pay for. If you do something like rattle-can it, for example, you won't have UV protection and the paint won't last very long, or protect well from rust, essentially wasting your money. Also, a decent basecoat/ clearcoat job wil cost more than you are wanting to spend, but it will offer the protection that you need. If I were you I would either bump up the budget a little, or maybe even consider a single stage paint job, which will be cheaper than BC/CC, but will give you pretty much all of the benefits. Just my 2 cents.
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

have you given any thought about using Monstaliner bedliner? It's available in something like 40 different colors now!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/i...-liner-875162/

go here to see the color chart
http://www.monstaliner.com/forms/monstaliner_colors.htm
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

a gallon of Rust-Oleum in your favorite (available) color... a gallon of acetone... a 4" mini roller frame with a pack or two of the dense foam rollers... and a variety of grits wet/dry sandpaper. for about $50 and some time & elbow grease, you'll have a finish that can look really good, will greatly outlast any rattle-can finish, and super cheap to touch up if you need.

do some google image searching for roller paint car or similar... some incredible results are possible
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB95YJ View Post
a gallon of Rust-Oleum in your favorite (available) color... a gallon of acetone... a 4" mini roller frame with a pack or two of the dense foam rollers... and a variety of grits wet/dry sandpaper. for about $50 and some time & elbow grease, you'll have a finish that can look really good, will greatly outlast any rattle-can finish, and super cheap to touch up if you need.

do some google image searching for roller paint car or similar... some incredible results are possible
that's pretty much how I did mine...but if I had to do over, I think I would go Monsta now because of some of the newer colors

Rustoleum Safety Orange rolled over Duplicolor spray on bedliner
Orange Jeep Club #88

Unread 04-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would've loved to do Monster in Suicide Blonde, but the majority of my current Jeep budget is being used gathering the final items for my upcoming swap.... and ~$50 for Rust-Oleum Safety Yellow, acetone, etc beat the $300+ it would've cost me to do the Monsta.

maybe a few years down the road I might

I just re-read the OP... he did mention not wanting to do Rhino/Herculiner... I assumed he'd consider Monsta along those same lines.
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #7
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB95YJ View Post

I just re-read the OP... he did mention not wanting to do Rhino/Herculiner... I assumed he'd consider Monsta along those same lines.
I saw that too, but mentioned Monsta only because it's a tough, do it yourself coating that is available in many colors and has a decent texture for the interior/exterior surfaces of a Jeep. Unlike the Herc that is only available in a few basic colors and has a much coarser texture to it.

Or the Rhino which has to be applied professionally, and is a totally different type of product that costs some big $$, but it is superior to any D.I.Y. type stuff in the toughness/thickness categories as long as the guys doing the surface prep know what they are doing.

Like I said earlier I would have gone Monsta on mine, but when I started they didn't offer some of the more vibrant colors that they have now.

I really like the colors like Predator

and Apocalypse
Orange Jeep Club #88

Unread 04-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I painted mine with Rustoleum/Acetone mix and a cheap Harbor Freight HPLV gun. Worked great- if you have access to a big compressor I would go that route rather than all the elbow grease of the roll-on rustoleum.

:-)

I will be doing mine again this spring- I did a rush job and just scuffed and shot mine and I have some rust coming back through. This time I am going to kill all the rust first them paint.
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Rustoleum and Mineral Spirits rolled on with a 4" foam roller (lots of coats). If this method interests you at all, Google "$50 paint job". You'll find more information than you want. It's labor intensive, but it works very well. I did the headlight bucket on my motorcycle using this method (as a test before I did it to my Jeep). It's been on there for three or four years. I've sprayed it directly at the car wash on a very regular basis and there are no issues with it that I've found.

The first pic is when I started dissassembling after mock-up and body work. I've included this to give you an idea of how well it covers (I didn't prime it, I started rolling in the condition you see in the first pic). The second is a decent picture from yesterday afternoon during assembly (the nasty stuff on the side plate of my tube fender is just buffing compound, I hadn't cleaned it when I took the pic). The third is how it's sitting in the shop now, but the picture quality is poor (dark out + cell phone pic = crap picture). Once I get my rock sliders back on, I'll be in business.

2012-05-20_18-41-03_100.jpg
2013-04-07_17-55-10_334.jpg
2013-04-07_20-01-04_140.jpg

I don't know a cheaper way to get a decent paint job than this. If you go this route, I suggest picking a color that's available in both cans and rattle cans.

Regardless of what you do, you're going to have to prep adequately (removing grease/wax and scuffing well enough for the paint to stick). If you don't do this, it doesn't matter how much you spend on paint, it won't last.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
skimsurf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for all the info. im going to look at the monsta liner and and the roll on method. thanks a lot. ill keep you guys posted on what i find.
skimsurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.