Painting my jeep yj hard top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Painting my jeep yj hard top

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
sagray42
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Painting my jeep yj hard top

I was wondering what kind of paint to use to paint my hard top.

sagray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
mighty4banger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Depends on what you are after...

I got a free hard top so I wanted as cheep as possible.
Krylon satin black rattle can to the rescue!
95 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 4.88's, Aussie Locker D30, 35" Mud Rovers, Herculined tub, TKH rear bumper, Ford 8.8, JB Conv. SYE, Sylvania Silver Stars, T-MAX 9K winch, MORE 1" body lift, Turbo City oil pan skid, Rubicon Express 4" lift...

2012 KK Black all stock.
mighty4banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Alot of people use krylon fusion. Its cheap and easy, and if you ever scratch it just spray on some touch ups.
Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
BlueDanube
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you're really lazy/cheap since the top is already textured, you could even just use a paint roller and a can of Rustoleum.

Just remember, a lot of paints are not very U/V resistant, and will fade in the sun over time. The p/o of my Jeep "touched up" some scratches on my top with spray paint, and those spots are now faded to a light grey. I'm planning on repainting mine using farm-implement paint from a farm store in a low-gloss black. Original style color in a paint that can stand some abuse and will hold up to sunlight a while longer than others.
BlueDanube is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
domdan69

I rolled on rustoleum semi-gloss black after a good washing, scrub with pad, and wiping off with acetone...still looks good after a year sitting under tree and never being washed
93 YJ I6 4.0 custom welded aluminum front fender, herculined , 33" 12.50 15x8 BDS 2" suspension, M.O.R.E. Boomerang shackles, Teraflex disco's, Flattened and hacked out wells, electric fan to replace stock fan.WARNx8000i,high-lift jack,relocated mirrors
domdan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
iowajeepers
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I used krylon fusion when I painted mine from very weather tan to black.

Just be prepared for multiple (read: A LOT) of coats. The fibre really soaks up the paint.

1994 YJ, 2000 TJ, 2000 XJ, 2004 WJ, 1976 Stingray
iowajeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
cubfanbudman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

X2 on the Fusion paint. Mine still looks good a year and a half later.
Doug
cubfanbudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #8
BlueDanube
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I also like to tell you that the Krylon Fusion is a good paint to use since it bonds really well to ... well, everything.

The *only* thing I keep holding to as an unknown is how it will hold up to sun fade over the years. One to two years might not be quite long enough to know if it's going to or not, but it's possible it will. Granted, even if it does fade, it doesn't cost a huge amount and you could always re-do it later on.

Hopefully for all of you who have used it the stuff will last forever! I myself have used it on interior panels on many vehicles, but haven't owned any of them long enough to know about it's u/v resistance.
Unread 07-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #9
Vicious90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Bro, forget the spray crap. Go with roll on will take a lot less time ,no over spray , and will cost alot less. Get rustoleum paint two quarts a high nap roller. What ever color you want I used gloss black on the last two yjs I had and they really held up . I still see the guy who bought my 87 I painted 4 years ago it still looks good.
Vicious90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 10:08 PM   #10
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagray42 View Post
I was wondering what kind of paint to use to paint my hard top.
Noticed you hadn't replied to your original post, but thought I would add that I used monsta-liner and have had it on for over a year now, winter and all and it still shines as new. Plus, monsta has a 5 year no fade guarantee.

Unread 07-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #11
BlueDanube
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You know, I had thought about doing the whole tub with some kind of high-strength liner (Line-X or the such) but never really thought about the hard top too. That's actually a great idea! Especially since it'll actually strengthen it and make it less likely to crack/chip. The only down side I can think of in using one of the thick plastic-like kinds is it will make it a lot heavier... The inexpensive spray/roll-on bed liner stuff would be a lot more practical, and probably hold up ok.
Unread 08-18-2011, 12:02 AM   #12
sagray42
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone
sagray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:16 AM   #13
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDanube
If you're really lazy/cheap since the top is already textured, you could even just use a paint roller and a can of Rustoleum.

Just remember, a lot of paints are not very U/V resistant, and will fade in the sun over time. The p/o of my Jeep "touched up" some scratches on my top with spray paint, and those spots are now faded to a light grey. I'm planning on repainting mine using farm-implement paint from a farm store in a low-gloss black. Original style color in a paint that can stand some abuse and will hold up to sunlight a while longer than others.
This is what implement paint looks like on a hardtop. Definitely a worthwhile investment.
image-911705480.jpg  
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:49 AM   #14
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDanube View Post
You know, I had thought about doing the whole tub with some kind of high-strength liner (Line-X or the such) but never really thought about the hard top too. That's actually a great idea! Especially since it'll actually strengthen it and make it less likely to crack/chip. The only down side I can think of in using one of the thick plastic-like kinds is it will make it a lot heavier... The inexpensive spray/roll-on bed liner stuff would be a lot more practical, and probably hold up ok.
This is what I did when I repainted my jeep. I did the interior (tub) with Raptor and I also did the outside of the hardtop with it as well. I also did my roll bar (since it doesnt have the padded cover and I wanted to prevent rust). Raptor is UV protected and extremely easy to use. Im not going to get into a debate on monstaliner being better than raptor or not (I seem to always have someone say "shoulda used that instead"). Raptor was readily available to me (it was at my local PPG shop), seemed easier to use (it was ready to spray), and was cheaper than monsta. In the end, Im happy with the results and recommend Raptor as an option.
jhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.