Painting interior dash... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Painting interior dash...

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-02-2004, 11:57 AM   #1
87jeeper

Painting interior dash...

I'm thinking about painting the lower grey part of the dash in my YJ black and the bezels around the gauges red. I'm just wondering what paint I should use and how to get the bezels out of the dash to paint em. Thanks in advance for any help.

87jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2004, 12:27 PM   #2
JMark
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm glad you asked, as I'm contemplating the exact same thing. Years ago, there used to be a kind of spray paint that was for auto interior vinyls. IIRC, it worked pretty well, mostly. I don't know if it's still available. There must be something?
JMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2004, 12:40 PM   #3
drew2000
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

FWIW, I recently saw an ad on TV for some spray paint that is made specifically to bond to plastic, it was made by one of the big brands (3M or Krylon or something).

Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMark
I'm glad you asked, as I'm contemplating the exact same thing. Years ago, there used to be a kind of spray paint that was for auto interior vinyls. IIRC, it worked pretty well, mostly. I don't know if it's still available. There must be something?
Unread 05-02-2004, 08:37 PM   #4
Tekrat

Krylon Fusion is the paint he's thinking about.. they also still do sell vinyl and upholstry paint - at least I know we carry it at my store (Advance Auto Parts)
Tekrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2004, 12:35 PM   #5
Weasel

another thing to check out for painting your dash, is a vinyl die. From what Ive heard its more expensive than the paint but there is no chance that it can flake off like paint can. I believe its a 3-5 step process that actually dies the plastic/vinyl therefore never giving it the chance to flake or crack on you. Another thing Ive heard is that the Krylon plastic paint does actually crack after a while, even though its guarenteed never to crack. But thats just what Ive heard, just passin it on
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2004, 01:58 PM   #6
pushead

Fusion by krylon works great. Be sure to buy a degreaser designed to remove armor-all first otherwise you will have a hard time.
pushead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2004, 04:06 PM   #7
bamabrad

I recently painted my dash from desert brown to grey with a black back dash. It looks brand new and totally custom. The prep time is something that I wasn't expecting but it was worth it. I took all the parts off and cleaned them with soap and water and then some Prep-all. Once they dried well I used 3 coats of 3M adhesion promoter to prime everything. The vinyl paint that I used was from dupl-color I think and it works great. Looks like factory except that I painted the inset areas to the gauges chrome. Once it was on I wiped it down good with armor all and WOW! I would say expect to use 3 cans of adhesion promoter and about 5 cans of vinyl paint. Make sure to use tack cloths while doing everything and be patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87jeeper
I'm thinking about painting the lower grey part of the dash in my YJ black and the bezels around the gauges red. I'm just wondering what paint I should use and how to get the bezels out of the dash to paint em. Thanks in advance for any help.
bamabrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2004, 01:48 PM   #8
BeatAChevy289

Surprised nobody has said bedliner. Sand it down and roll it on. A buddy of mine did that in his ZJ and it looks really sweet on the dash. Actually, it looked SO good that he used the rest of it to do the entire back hatch on the outside! Ok, now THAT looks goofy on a primarily red Grand Cherokee, but his dash looks really good. I'm just going to buy the stainless steel dash overlay from quadratec for $50 and be done with it. Later <><
1966 Ford Mustang, Hi-Po 289 V8, 4:11's, I dare you to race me.
<><
[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/id/blackyj95]Cardomain Site[/URL] (different from the other link)
BeatAChevy289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2004, 02:22 PM   #9
Rynxprs

I used Paint for Vinyl from Advanced Auto.

Use paint thinner, Mineral Spirits, or MEK to clean the dash and spray multiple thin coats.

Here's mine:
Before

After
Unread 05-10-2004, 07:00 PM   #10
87jeeper

Thanks a lot for all the help, it was useful. I don't have a lot of time, and my Jeep's my daily driver, so I just went the Krylon Fusion paint route. It was easy to apply, after i cleaned it with soap/water, then some ammonia (recommended by Krylon). Couldn't be happier w/the results . As soon as i get my cam working, I'll post pics. Thanks again.
87jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2004, 10:20 AM   #11
YJ4x4on35'z

I painted my bezels around the gauges with a high gloss red and i have the solid stainless steel overlay on it. i think it looks awesome. My buddy has his bezels painted yellow with the stainless overlay and it looks sweet too.
Black Jeep Club Member #1
2.5 w/211,000
94 Jeep YJ (AX-5/Atlas II)
4.56 gears
4" suspension lift/3" body
35X15X15 Boggers
15X10 REAL Beadlocks (Axis X-treme)
Warn rear bumper w/rear tire carrier
ARB air lockers (Front/Rear)
Pacesetter exhaust/Header
ARB snorkel
AGR heavy duty steering box/pump
Flaming River steering shaft
Dual optimas
Mean Green alternator
Warn 9000xi winch
Four Real front bumper w/skid plate & 6 Hellas
2 windshield mount Hellas
"Outta Control Off-Road"
YJ4x4on35'z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2004, 10:17 AM   #12
JeepinGirlinFl

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ4x4on35'z
I painted my bezels around the gauges with a high gloss red and i have the solid stainless steel overlay on it. i think it looks awesome. My buddy has his bezels painted yellow with the stainless overlay and it looks sweet too.
Please post your pics - I was thinking about doing the same in my black 87YJ!

thanks!
JeepinGirlinFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2004, 10:27 AM   #13
YJ4x4on35'z

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinGirlinFl
Please post your pics - I was thinking about doing the same in my black 87YJ!

thanks!
I'll post them as soon as i can.
Black Jeep Club Member #1
2.5 w/211,000
94 Jeep YJ (AX-5/Atlas II)
4.56 gears
4" suspension lift/3" body
35X15X15 Boggers
15X10 REAL Beadlocks (Axis X-treme)
Warn rear bumper w/rear tire carrier
ARB air lockers (Front/Rear)
Pacesetter exhaust/Header
ARB snorkel
AGR heavy duty steering box/pump
Flaming River steering shaft
Dual optimas
Mean Green alternator
Warn 9000xi winch
Four Real front bumper w/skid plate & 6 Hellas
2 windshield mount Hellas
"Outta Control Off-Road"
YJ4x4on35'z is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.