Painting Engine block - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Painting Engine block

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
thunderstar99
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Painting Engine block

Okay, I just got my block back from the machine shop, baked, magna fluxed, bead blasted, bored out 40 over, crankshaft alignment, freeze plugs and camshaft bearing pressed in. I am now ready to paint the engine block. I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on prepping the engine for paint and what type of paint to use.

thunderstar99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Clean with a degreaser simple green or something similar. Mask off what you don't want painted. Auto parts stores have a specific spray paint for engines in many colors. Have some fun be creative with the colors. I went black no problems two coats. I also used an aluminum color on the intake trans and transfer case.

image-1120585287.jpg

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Engine enamel comes in everything from rattlecan to a professional two stage setup for use in a gun.
Unread 08-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462 View Post
Clean with a degreaser simple green or something similar. Mask off what you don't want painted. Auto parts stores have a specific spray paint for engines in many colors. Have some fun be creative with the colors. I went black no problems two coats. I also used an aluminum color on the intake trans and transfer case.

Attachment 655395
DO NOT USE SIMPLE GREEN to degrease just before painting. It will leave a residue that can allow your paint to bubble and peel. Go to a professional paint supply and buy a can of prep degreaser and cheesecloth. OR go to home depot and buy a can of MEK Substitute and lint-free microfiber cloths and wet the cloths with the MEK and wipe down your surface prior to painting. Let it dry completely before you start painting. I highly recommend using a "Direct to metal" primer or Self Etching Primer on any surface prior to rattle canning it.

80% of any paint jobs longevity is determined by the prep work. Don't skimp on the prep or you'll pay the price later.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club #91
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
Gage56
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
DO NOT USE SIMPLE GREEN to degrease just before painting. It will leave a residue that can allow your paint to bubble and peel. Go to a professional paint supply and buy a can of prep degreaser and cheesecloth. OR go to home depot and buy a can of MEK Substitute and lint-free microfiber cloths and wet the cloths with the MEK and wipe down your surface prior to painting. Let it dry completely before you start painting. I highly recommend using a "Direct to metal" primer or Self Etching Primer on any surface prior to rattle canning it.

80% of any paint jobs longevity is determined by the prep work. Don't skimp on the prep or you'll pay the price later.

+1 Def us a etching primer and Pre Prep Cleaner First

White Jeep Club #302

My Resto/Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-official-build-thread-1992-yj-emma-1494420/

Another YJ Resto
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...81/?highlight=

Sun Visor Fix How To
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...x-how-1607617/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
This is a prime example why people should be give a IQ test before they are allowed to Vote or Breed.
Gage56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.