post #1 of Old 08-09-2013, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
thunderstar99
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Painting Engine block

Okay, I just got my block back from the machine shop, baked, magna fluxed, bead blasted, bored out 40 over, crankshaft alignment, freeze plugs and camshaft bearing pressed in. I am now ready to paint the engine block. I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on prepping the engine for paint and what type of paint to use.

post #2 of Old 08-09-2013, 06:59 AM
jokerchief462
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Clean with a degreaser simple green or something similar. Mask off what you don't want painted. Auto parts stores have a specific spray paint for engines in many colors. Have some fun be creative with the colors. I went black no problems two coats. I also used an aluminum color on the intake trans and transfer case.

Name:  image-1120585287.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  505.6 KB

89YJ 2.5L TBI, AX-5, NP231 SYE, Ford 8.8, Yukon Grizzly, Tom Woods Shaft, 33" BFG T/As, 4" lift, Warn VR10000s.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
post #3 of Old 08-09-2013, 07:39 AM
Anticanman
RIP one good jeeper

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Engine enamel comes in everything from rattlecan to a professional two stage setup for use in a gun.

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #4 of Old 08-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462 View Post
Clean with a degreaser simple green or something similar. Mask off what you don't want painted. Auto parts stores have a specific spray paint for engines in many colors. Have some fun be creative with the colors. I went black no problems two coats. I also used an aluminum color on the intake trans and transfer case.

Attachment 655395
DO NOT USE SIMPLE GREEN to degrease just before painting. It will leave a residue that can allow your paint to bubble and peel. Go to a professional paint supply and buy a can of prep degreaser and cheesecloth. OR go to home depot and buy a can of MEK Substitute and lint-free microfiber cloths and wet the cloths with the MEK and wipe down your surface prior to painting. Let it dry completely before you start painting. I highly recommend using a "Direct to metal" primer or Self Etching Primer on any surface prior to rattle canning it.

80% of any paint jobs longevity is determined by the prep work. Don't skimp on the prep or you'll pay the price later.

91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L, AX5, 2.5" OME 36Rs, Revolvers, 32" Yoko ATs, 4.10 D30/35 Aussie Lockers F/R Busted Knuckles YJOTM never
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #5 of Old 08-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Gage56
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
DO NOT USE SIMPLE GREEN to degrease just before painting. It will leave a residue that can allow your paint to bubble and peel. Go to a professional paint supply and buy a can of prep degreaser and cheesecloth. OR go to home depot and buy a can of MEK Substitute and lint-free microfiber cloths and wet the cloths with the MEK and wipe down your surface prior to painting. Let it dry completely before you start painting. I highly recommend using a "Direct to metal" primer or Self Etching Primer on any surface prior to rattle canning it.

80% of any paint jobs longevity is determined by the prep work. Don't skimp on the prep or you'll pay the price later.

+1 Def us a etching primer and Pre Prep Cleaner First

1992 YJ