painting a bare steel bumper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > painting a bare steel bumper

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availabFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-06-2009, 03:20 AM   #1
JIBTEXHNKA
1987 YJ Wrangler 

painting a bare steel bumper

my shiny new bumper from jcr offroad just showed up! but the one thing i forgot about was that they ship them unpainted.

i know absolutely nothing about painting metal of any kind. so what do i do?

i just want the most durable black paint job possible. i don't want it to scratch off and start rusting the first time i hit a rock or something.

can i use bedliner on it? is there any good reason not to?

JIBTEXHNKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 03:51 AM   #2
MYYJ93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'd hit it with a few coats of good quality primer then use a good paint on bedliner. That stuff is pretty tough.
MYYJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 04:49 AM   #3
lobukjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sand it first.Acid etch primer(they actually sell it in a spray can).It'll give you some bite.I always use auto paint but that's kind of an overkill for a bumper.I'm sure some other guys have used some tough paint you can get cheaper.
Unread 03-06-2009, 05:40 AM   #4
ss454
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobukjeep View Post
Sand it first.Acid etch primer(they actually sell it in a spray can).It'll give you some bite.
+1..........
ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 06:40 AM   #5
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Clean and prep the metal like posted above. I had some POR15 I used as a base coat and then used Duplicolor auto paint from Advance Auto. I sprayed it black and the Duplicolor paint goes on real nice. Very hard to mess it up. If it does get scratched or chipped $5 at Advance and I just touch it up.
Unread 03-06-2009, 07:10 AM   #6
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Have them powder coated..........

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 07:20 AM   #7
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have yet to see powder coating hold up. There maybe some people that can do it right but I've never seen it. Everything I've run into has sheets of powder coat peeling off rusty metal. I spent maybe $40 on paint and prep materials for my bumper. I don't think a properly done powder coat job would be that cheap...
Unread 03-06-2009, 07:28 AM   #8
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Since no one else has mentioned it. Go buy a big can of acetone, some rags, and some chemical resistant gloves. Once you get done sanding the bumper lightly, clean the crap out of it with the acetone. Put on the cloves (cause its rough on hands) and pour some on the rag and wipe it all down several times untill you can wipe it with a clean rang and you get no crud on it. Also, make sure you do this OUTSIDE. The fumes are kinda rough. But makeing sure the metal is super clean like this before you paint will make all the diffrence. The metal has to be clean of all crud, oil, dirt, etc.... Otherwise the paint wont stick very good and will flake off easy, it if even sticks at all.

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
Future mods: NV4500, NP205, high pinion D60 front and smooth bottom D60 rear, e-lockers front & rear. SOA with 35X12.50's
Cobra Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 07:37 AM   #9
lonestar_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i just built bumpers front and rear. I just rattle can primered them and then rattle can black rustoleum.
Unread 03-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar_yj View Post
i just built bumpers front and rear. I just rattle can primered them and then rattle can black rustoleum.
That's what I did too, I did usse the "self etching" primer though.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 12:28 PM   #11
Exparrot
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I highly recommend Rustoleum Professional. It's tough, dries quick, and comes in flat or gloss.

My front bumper has taken a beating and it only has one or two scratches that I'm too lazy to get out there and touch up. Rocker guards, rear bumper and wheels look like I painted them yesterday...
LO Jeep Club #111 [and not proud of it]
Red Jeep Club #MC399
Exparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #12
admisgd
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I used Duplicolor spray on bedliner directly on the bare metal of the bumper. I prepped the bare metal well but wish I had used a primer coat. The bedliner peels pretty easy when it gets bumped and I can see a few small rust spots. It is easy to patch because I just carry a can of duplicolor spray with me, but if I had to do it all over again I would have used a primer coat first.
Unread 03-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #13
JIBTEXHNKA
1987 YJ Wrangler 

so, with self-etching primer there is no need to sand?

and what's the best way to support the thing while painting... like, to set it somewhere where i can paint all of it at once. or is that too much to ask for? thanks for all the help so far.
JIBTEXHNKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #14
chadroc
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIBTEXHNKA View Post
so, with self-etching primer there is no need to sand?

and what's the best way to support the thing while painting... like, to set it somewhere where i can paint all of it at once. or is that too much to ask for? thanks for all the help so far.
I don't know the answer to the primer, but i have a hook in the ceiling in my garage. I hang everything I paint buy a nylon strap that has hooks on each end. That works pretty nice.

I use plasticote bedliner spray. It's not that hard to scratch, but easy to fix. It has to go on bare medal or original paint. Every other paint I've tried to put it over bubbles up
chadroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #15
Jeepsr4me19
1976 CJ5 

The first thing you do is CLEAN it, get all the oil and metal protective coating off it. If you sand it 1st you will drive that stuff into the metal and it is a pain to clean later. And the paint will never stick. But after cleaning just prime with a good bare metal primer and cover it with either bed liner or a good enamel paint.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.