Painting? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Painting?

Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE KitsUCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!

Unread 01-27-2004, 12:12 PM   #1
Green_Machine

Painting?

Hey all sorry for my newbishness here but does the whole body of a YJ come off? Reason being is next spring I want to sand everything down and re paint it either yellow or orange. If the body does come off does anyone have any pics? Any suggestions with painting by my self? All advice welcome. Thanks in advance. If anyone has some pics with the body off, please post. It'd help greatly.

Green_Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2004, 12:51 PM   #2
BuffaloYJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well yes, it does come off. Assuming you want to do a really thorough job, it's do-able. I suppose it would also be a BIG pain though. You would need to strip out the seats (not a big deal really), the whole dash (If you do you may want to tidy up the wiring or get a whole new wiring kit since you'll have it all out anyhow. Don't know if you've noticed, but factory YJ wiring is a scary, messy affair) and all the underhood components bolted to the body. I'm sure there's some other stuff I forgot too. You could do it with the tub on the frame, and it would probably still look decent....you just won't be able to get the engine compartment so well. In any event, Good Luck!
BuffaloYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2004, 08:08 PM   #3
RideRed04

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloYJ
Well yes, it does come off. Assuming you want to do a really thorough job, it's do-able. I suppose it would also be a BIG pain though. You would need to strip out the seats (not a big deal really), the whole dash (If you do you may want to tidy up the wiring or get a whole new wiring kit since you'll have it all out anyhow. Don't know if you've noticed, but factory YJ wiring is a scary, messy affair) and all the underhood components bolted to the body. I'm sure there's some other stuff I forgot too. You could do it with the tub on the frame, and it would probably still look decent....you just won't be able to get the engine compartment so well. In any event, Good Luck!
Here's how I did it. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I'll just post up the progress, and then you can ask me questions later. Before you paint the exterior, herc the interior, just incase something slips, you can sand it down.

Unread 01-27-2004, 08:21 PM   #4
hole_in_the_mud

Nice job.

How did you get the striping and decals off? Sand or chemical? Heat gun? I'll be doing the same on my 88 this spring but honestly fear dealing with the striping.
Unread 01-27-2004, 09:25 PM   #5
BuffaloYJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Darn nice job. Did you just happen to have an airbrush or if not, what did you use? Not only do I not have the neccessary tools, but I'm also real lazy Anyone know what a ballpark figure would be to have paint job done at a shop?
Unread 01-28-2004, 07:48 AM   #6
MuddyV8YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You may think I was crazy, but last summer I repainted my jeep with spray cans. You don't get all the fancy color choices, but after 1 summer and 2 winters of hard wheelin (scrubbing through brush and branches, ice chunks, pine woods), the paintjob is still perfect. I didn't expect it to work real well but for under $100 I had to give it a try. Touchups would have been easy too, but I have not needed to do any yet. I'd say its all about surface prep. I'm not sure if you want to take the same route, but it is an option.
Unread 01-28-2004, 08:17 AM   #7
BuffaloYJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You got any pics? The "white" paint on my 95 is looking kinda perpetually dirty, so anything may be an improvement. Thanks!
Unread 01-28-2004, 03:33 PM   #8
MuddyV8YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You got any pics? The "white" paint on my 95 is looking kinda perpetually dirty, so anything may be an improvement. Thanks!
This is right after i finished painting:

These were takin over christmas break. Who says you can't wheel topless in the winter? (temps around 0)

Click here for VERY LARGE version
->http://www.lehigh.edu/~dwm6/jeep 034 .jpg

Click here for VERY LARGE version
->http://www.lehigh.edu/~dwm6/jeep 039 .jpg
Unread 01-28-2004, 04:16 PM   #9
YJWOLF

I rattle canned half my jeep. The tailgate hood fenders and doors. didnt take to long wither and has held up fine the 10 months its been on there. Original color is red, so i added black.
Unread 01-28-2004, 04:48 PM   #10
RideRed04

Quote:
Originally Posted by hole_in_the_mud
Nice job.

How did you get the striping and decals off? Sand or chemical? Heat gun? I'll be doing the same on my 88 this spring but honestly fear dealing with the striping.
I started using a hair dryer with a putty knife, but ultimately the best way to do it is a razor blade. It's really not hard at all with the blade, get it started and zip down the side.

Quote:

Darn nice job. Did you just happen to have an airbrush or if not, what did you use? Not only do I not have the neccessary tools, but I'm also real lazy Anyone know what a ballpark figure would be to have paint job done at a shop?
I got a really nice HVLP spray gun (do a google search for HVLP for more info) for about $120. The paint, primer, sandpaper, and a new air hose cost another 80. I put 15 hours into the job, including disassembly and re-assembly. If you use HVLP, get a scrap piece to help find the speed you need to move your arm so it is just before it runs. You will get a really smooth finish. If you get moving too fast, you will get orange peel like crazy. Just set aside a weekend with nice weather and go for it. I had my dad and buddy helping out, so it wasn't too bad.
Unread 01-29-2004, 07:24 PM   #11
FunkSkunk
Sold my soul to JeepForum

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Wolf are you gonna finish the rest of it?
Unread 01-30-2004, 12:48 AM   #12
YJWOLF

No, its a 2 tone paint scheme. all the brackets are Red on black, like the door hinge, and I painted the "wrangler" black on the red in the rear corner. Its on purpose, but you're not the first to ask.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.