Painting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Painting

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-27-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
YJ_girl20
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Painting

I have been thinking about what i'm going to do to for painting, it seems like by the time i get the spray gun all set up ( and buy one) it might just be cheeper to buy a ton of spray cans?? but my question is do you think lacer or 2 coats of enamel would hold up better?? another thing is , i know you can put a clear coat on lacer but is there a clear coat that can be sprayed ontop of enamel?? I say this cause we painted a piece of metal last winter with enamal and i think we put a lacer clear coat on which pretty much did the exact opposite of what i wanted it to do!! pretty much melted off. had to sand it and try again hahah... so if you could help me out so i don't have to learn the hard way!!!

THANKS

YJ_girl20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
Jeepinjon
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm a big fan of the HVLP set up, it's just so much easier to get the results you want. Don't get me wrong, I have seen some fantastic rattle can jobs on here. But I'd use the right set up if you can. That being said, prep work and patiences are key to the process, whichever you choose to go with. Take your time, put down a couple light coats, probably going to need more than 2. I'd say 3-4 if you want it to look good and last. As for the clear coat...find a paintshop and use whatever they recommend. I wouldn't mix laquer and enamal products. Good luck!
Jon
Jeepinjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Paintucation.com ... Professional job in your garage.

Count on 5 full days though...

1-Day to strip, Seats, wipers, everything
2-Day to prep
3- Day to tape. (Yes it will take you a full day to tape a stripped rig)
4- Day to paint
5- Day to re-assemble
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2008, 07:10 PM   #4
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You don't mix lacquer with base coat or enamel. If you use a base coat, there's a clear coat that goes with it, and it's not clear lacquer. You'll also need to understand things like surface preparation, additives, etc for the specific paint you plan to use and have everything ready before you start. A paint job is like building a house - the better the foundation, the better the house & the same applies to painting. I'd recommend talking to some painters for some tips and reading some articles on the process, there are lots available on the internet. Here's one that will cover some of the basics:

http://www.learnautopainting.com/

Here's another:

http://www.easypaintyourcar.com/
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
Droptine
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Depends on what you want it to look like..... I didn't care about how it looked so I painted the whole thing with black Rustoleum Hammered..... turned out great with three coats.
Unread 08-28-2008, 11:37 AM   #6
stu1021
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptine View Post
Depends on what you want it to look like..... I didn't care about how it looked so I painted the whole thing with black Rustoleum Hammered..... turned out great with three coats.
That Black Hammerite is some tough stuff!! I have used it to paint safes and it holds up great.
'02 MBenz E55 AMG
'55 Piper Apache
stu1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2008, 12:59 PM   #7
ONEMORE2
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have this jeep striped down bear metal?
88yj, incubus off road wheels,32"tsl radial super swampers,2.5" pro comp lift ,kc lights,rock lights,8000lb.mile marker winch,best top bikini top,nutterbypass,lock right locker in the rear,TJ flares,poison spyder rock rails,home made front flat fenders,Skyjacker nitro 8000 shocks,procomp rear bumper,CB.more to come.
92yj,black with flame job.I have now added a 2003 wrangler,2"BB,dick cepek wheels ,trail armor all four corners,33" BFG-AT's.life is good.
ONEMORE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2008, 05:05 PM   #8
90yjkrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Duplicolor makes a base coat clear coat that is cheap and easy.
Unread 08-28-2008, 05:31 PM   #9
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Depends on what you want it to look like.....
That's absolutely true, I made an assumption that YJ_girl20 wanted a factory type paint job & that could have been a wrong assumption, so I guess that should be the first step & when that decision has been made, YJ_girl20 can post that & we can provide appropriate recommendations.

There are quite a few paint products that can be used to give a jeep a new appearance, some of them are easier to apply than others, and the end product will look as good as the effort that's gone into the preparation.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #10
xeastend
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Enamel over lacquer is ok.NOT the other way.Lacquer will eat thru the undercoats
Try Macco.Decent job for the price.
If you have time,maybe a local vo-tech school can make it their hands on project

LOOKING FOR 4cyl axles F/R, 4.10s, will trade for my 3.07s complete

Also need 16x8 rims with less backspacing
xeastend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2008, 08:25 PM   #11
YJ_girl20
1993 YJ Wrangler 

yeah , i'm not looking for a factory job....but also don't want it to look like someone came up and spray painted it. lol, it doesn't have to look to fancy just painted. i have numerous pieces that are all different colors, some primed and some bare metal.....sooooo its going to be quiet the array of steps. Don't you love ppl who jump into projects when they have no idea what they're doing!!!! hahaha
YJ_girl20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2008, 02:40 AM   #12
Turner
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i would use a single stage paint. tractor paints are super easy to use and usually look really good. just take your time and don't spray to thick. many light coats are better than a few [heavy coats = (runs)]. You could also do the 50 dollar roll on job that i think looks good. just takes a while.
1970 Ford Bronco302, dana 30, 9", 3 on the tree, show stopper.
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2008, 06:51 AM   #13
vmann7
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you aren't going for the factory look, I've seen a few done with bedliner. I don't think you could find a tougher paint.
vmann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2008, 07:12 AM   #14
stu1021
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Seriously, the Maaco option is not a bad one - especially if you do a lot of the prep. Those places can usually give you a decent job for less than you will spend purchasing all of the materials. I took my "short bus" tow vehicle that I bought at a school auction to a Earl Scheib's (www.earlscheib.com) here in Baltimore and they painted it for $299.00. I had already priced what it would cost for enough paint and thinner, etc. to paint it and it would have cost me more to do it myself. Plus, they were able to do it in one day and bake it under the lamps. I removed what I didn't want painted and scotchbrited and cleaned the rest and it came out great. Here is a recent pic of it on the track at Bristol Motorspeedway......(the one in front).
'02 MBenz E55 AMG
'55 Piper Apache
stu1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2008, 08:21 AM   #15
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just currious... how many cans did that take???

OP... if U have the time, then doing it yourself could be fun. HF has inexpensive spray guns. And as mentioned, a one part product could work, although a base/clear is better. Just depends on how much time/matreial U want to invest.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.